PDA

View Full Version : Birdcage Awls

Dave Anderson NH
04-08-2006, 10:24 AM
There was an article in Popular Woodworking on awls a few months ago and it raised some interest in the various types. I had always wondered whether a Birdcage Awl was something useful. It is. They are nice for marking a location and then twisting to make a wider and somewhat fuzzy tapered hole. They can also be used as a reamer for small holes though they only widen the upper end.

I decided to make a few. The blade is 3/16" square O-1 tool steel bar stock hardened to a Rockwell Rc 62-63 after taper grinding to a point. All 4 edges of the square stock are quite sharp.

Ken Fitzgerald
04-08-2006, 10:28 AM
Fantastic work Dave......the norm for you!

Mike Wenzloff
04-08-2006, 11:18 AM
Wonderful Dave!

3rd one in is Snakewood, right? Quite a nice job. Question. What is the approximate diameter and length of the handle?

I assume it snuggles right into the palm in use?

Thanks for the picture!

Mike

Dave Anderson NH
04-08-2006, 1:15 PM
Hi Mike, The picture is not exactly great and I need to do better for my website since the colors are too dark to show that the East Indian Rosewood actually has color, grain, and texture.:rolleyes:

From left to right the awls are Cocobolo, Tiger Maple, Snakewood, East Indian Rosewood, Brazilian Tulipwood, and Gabon Ebony. These are relatively small tools with a handle diameter around 1.3" and an overall length of about 5". The blade is about 2 1/4" long, so the handle is about 2 3/4" in length. The design is so that the handle can be almost completely enveloped in the hand for maximum torgue. It was a bit of work to find a way to make a square hole for the blade shank and get concentricity to the handle.

Lars Thomas
04-08-2006, 1:45 PM
I have a few of those from my grandfather. never really knew what they were for. Now I do. Thanks.

Derek Cohen
04-08-2006, 2:22 PM
Beautiful work Dave. With inspiration like this, my to do list keeps getting longer!

What finish have you used?

Regards from Perth

Derek

Brian Hale
04-08-2006, 2:34 PM
Nice work Dave! Any plans to sell some???

BTW, i might be able to help you some with the pics. About 3 minutes in Photoshop for this. Still no grain in the darker ones though... :(

Michael Stafford
04-08-2006, 3:12 PM
Pretty work, Dave! Did you make the ferrules? Or are they some of ferrules that you can buy from Lee Valley? Regardless, nice looking tools.:D

Chris Barton
04-08-2006, 3:54 PM
Hi Dave,

Those are some great awls! I have been thinking of making some myself and yours will serve as inspiration.

Dave Anderson NH
04-08-2006, 5:23 PM
Brian---Yes, I sell them, but not here. Contact me off site. As for photos, I will be taking some better ones in natural light in the next few days. Dark woods are always hard to get the coloration and grain to show up. I am definately not a pro photographer.

Derek-- I use Waterlox original finish for the protection and the fact that it can be recoated after a simple wipe with mineral spirits to remove the carnuba wax top coat. Personally I prefer the feel of an oil and wax finish, but the market dictates otherwise.

Michael-- I use the Lee Valley ferrules as they are available in so many sizes and are quite economical. Mine get a good buffing to bring up the shine since they are sold with a dull finish.

Chris-- Make your own? Go for it. It's quite easy to make tools. Most tool steel is sold in the annealed or unhardened state. It's easy to work and shape with a file or two, a belt sander, and some practice. Both MSC and McMaster-Carr sell to individuals with no minimum order and you can pay by credit card and have your purchase within a day or two. If you make your own tools you can customize to your individual preference, get stuff not available commercially, and frankly do a better job than any of the commercial makers. Better than the commercial makers? Yes, because you don't have the time constraints and can take as long as you want to get exactly what you want. Without a profit motive and the limitations it imposes, you are limited only by your imagination. The caveat is that it will take a bit of practice, your first effort is likely to be dismal. Mine was.

Richard Wolf
04-08-2006, 6:49 PM
Beautiful awls. But all of your tools are beautiful, I love to look at them. Makes me wish I was more of a Neander.

Richard

Randy Meijer
04-09-2006, 5:33 AM
I have a few of those from my grandfather. never really knew what they were for. Now I do. Thanks.

I think Isaw something like that on the PBS show, "THE WOODWRIGHT'S SHOP." Roy was using them to make pilot holes for wood screws??

Tyler Howell
04-09-2006, 9:10 AM
Gotta Get my order in for another CTW Special:cool:

Steve Clardy
04-09-2006, 11:25 AM
Very nice Dave!!
Have one in walnut?

Tim Leo
04-09-2006, 12:00 PM
[quote=Dave Anderson NH]Brian---Yes, I sell them, but not here. Contact me off site.
quote]

I believe our favorite moderator just broke the rules...

Lars Thomas
04-09-2006, 10:55 PM
Tim, not sure why you think Dave broke any TOS. I don't see it.

Mike Wenzloff
04-10-2006, 1:08 AM
Brian---Yes, I sell them, but not here. Contact me off site.
I believe our favorite moderator just broke the rules...
Nah. Response to a direct question.

I guess he could have either ignored the question, or perhaps lied. Dave did a good job of both balancing the spirit and words of the TOS, as well as maintaining his personal and professional ethics.

Take care, Mike

Rob Millard
04-10-2006, 6:43 AM
Dave,

Like all your tools, these are well done. One of these days, I'm going to order one of your bow saws; they are especially impressive.
Rob Millard

Tyler Howell
04-10-2006, 7:17 AM
Dave,

Like all your tools, these are well done. One of these days, I'm going to order one of your bow saws; they are especially impressive.
Rob Millard

I speak from experience Impressive.:cool: