PDA

View Full Version : first bottle stopper

Frank Fusco
04-08-2006, 10:20 AM
Below is my first bottle stopper. Posted not because it is a special turning masterpiece but because I am surprised people still like and use these things. This is the first of a set of four I am making for my son. The wood is osage orange from a tree I removed from the property of his new lake house. My wife is excited about this and wants me to make a bunch more for gifts. They are relatively simple to turn. I made my mandrel from a 3/8"X16tpi bolt with the head cut off and chucked up in a jacobs chuck. Sizing was done with calipers. Not a real turning challenge but still a good excuse to make shavings at the lathe.

Ken Fitzgerald
04-08-2006, 10:30 AM
Frank......nice stopper..........I was thinking about making some as gifts too! Excellent work!

Ernie Nyvall
04-08-2006, 10:31 AM
Nice work Frank. Yep, people use them. I've made a bunch.

Ernie

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
04-08-2006, 10:38 AM
Nice, I plan on making a bunch of those to sell in my wine shop!

Cheers!

Bernie Weishapl
04-08-2006, 10:53 AM
Nice stopper Frank. I like the looks of the osage orange. Great work.

Jim Dunn
04-08-2006, 10:54 AM
Very nice stopper Frank. Will look neat in a bottle of MG 20/20:)

Paul Douglass
04-08-2006, 11:18 AM
Very nice bottle stopper. Like you I am suprised people use them, I never leave wine in a bottle long enough to need a stopper! I made one for fun a few days ago and sent pictures to friends and family and I have several orders to make more.

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
04-08-2006, 1:30 PM
Very nice bottle stopper. Like you I am suprised people use them, I never leave wine in a bottle long enough to need a stopper! I made one for fun a few days ago and sent pictures to friends and family and I have several orders to make more.

I agree on the "Wine" bit, but not on the "Port Wine"...... :D