PDA

View Full Version : Reverse glue joint router bit

Dick Holt
08-19-2003, 9:50 PM
Has anyone had any experience with this bit? It looks like it might be a good way to ensure flat glue-ups and thus reduce planing/sanding. Is it a pain to set up? Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks
Dick

Jim Becker
08-19-2003, 9:55 PM
Glue joint cutters for your router table can work just fine...as long as you have wickedly good hold downs to keep the boards absolutely flat during the cut, feather boards to keep them on the fence and are very careful in your bit height during setup. Otherwise, you might as well use biscuits for alignment...

Lars Thomas
08-20-2003, 12:01 AM
I've found them to be a PITA to set up. If someone wants to take the bait that it provides a stronger joint, we can argue till the cows come home. Please don't take the bait, please don't take the bait . . .

I agree with Jim, if the intent is to align the stock, use either biscuits or cauls when clamping. You'll be in good shape.

The is a 45 degree glue joint bit. I had to do a run of book ends several years ago. Since I had so many to do, it was worth the effort in set up, plus assembly was much easier.

Steve Clardy
08-20-2003, 10:03 AM
I've got one and do not use it also. As above, it is a pita to setup. I use biscuits. One thing about the bit though, it does add a lot to the glue surface area, more area. It used mine on chair seat blanks, which I think can use all you can get on glue surface. Steve