PDA

View Full Version : Survived the Joinery class at Marc Adams

Cliff Polubinsky
04-07-2006, 11:05 PM
Just got home after surviving (and that's definitely the term) the joinery class at Marc Adams school. I can now hand cut a dovetail - through and half blind, chisel out a mortise and a bunch of other things I can't remember because I'm too darn tired.

Here's some examples. The top one was the third try and the bottom one was the last dovetail I cut last night. Considering I had never tried this before I'm pretty pleased with the progress between the two..

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a313/cpolubin/Dovetails_4598.jpg

Long hours, 12 to 13 a day. But you definitely learn. Granted, I'm turning out functional joints rather than art, but at this point I'm satisfied with functional and hopefully art will come with practice.

Cliff

Mark Stutz
04-07-2006, 11:11 PM
Cliff,
There is nothing wrong with those. Keep practicing, you'll be surprised.

How is that scrub plane!:D

Wendy Sarrett
04-09-2006, 4:12 PM
Sounds like a worthwhile experience and you definately did learn to handcut the dovetails! They look pretty good to me!!
I was privileged to see Mr. Adams give several hours of free demos a few weeks ago at a local woodworking show. I thought he was an excellent teacher. His school is probably a nine hour drive from here but maybe someday I get to take a class there.

Michael Gibbons
04-09-2006, 4:29 PM
Maybe I'll go practice dovetails after dinner. Haven't done them in a while.

Cliff Polubinsky
04-09-2006, 9:53 PM
Mark,

The scrub plane is good. Sharpened the blade and tried it on a test board and it worked pretty well. May have to flatten the bottom a bit, but on the whole, it's a keeper.

Cliff

Roger Bell
04-10-2006, 10:48 PM
I was there last week as well, in the turning session with Alan Lacer. Probably saw you there. I know many of you guys in Joinery were working late each evening. Marc does not allow machine use after hours, so we turners got off at 6 pm. I heard a lot of good comments about the course from guys in your group.

Brad Kimbrell
04-10-2006, 10:51 PM
Cliff,

I'm leaving in 3 weeks for my 3rd class at Marc Adams. I really enjoy learning from this fellow and his staff. I've taken the 1st class where we cut dovetails such as yours, did some parquetry, veneering, and built a Maloof Style table.

Last year I took the sculptural rocking chair class and it was as you mentioned - VERY long days Sat - Fri and almost wore me down. The results were well worth the effort!

I'm leaving soon for the Tom Stangeland "Greene & Greene" Class where I plan to build a G&G coffee table. This will be my first "non-Marc" taught class.

I also took Lon Schlening's "Business of Woodworking" weekend class which was worthwhile also.

Your dovetails look great and I'm sure that you will retain what you learned. The safety tips have stayed with me and I always notice others in videos when they don't "do it right". I'm sure that Marc has saved me a finger or other injury over the past 3 years. :eek:

I wish I could afford the time / money to go twice a year. Sort of like Xmas :) to me when I get to spend a week up there.

I would be interested in other's experiences at Marc's and other schools out there.

Martin Shupe
04-10-2006, 11:14 PM
Brad,

I have taken classes at Marc's, and he runs a first class operation.

Another option, especially good for you, is Kelly Mehler's school in Berea, KY, just down the road. www.kellymehler.com Kelly also runs a first class operation, but you will find the class sizes a little smaller than Marc's.

I only wish I had the time and money to take all the classes at both schools!

Brad Kimbrell
04-11-2006, 12:44 AM
Martin,

Yes, I've been to Kelly's old shop, before he moved into the new space. Warren May, Brian Boggs and a few other fine craftsmen are also based in Berea. I met Warren at a Sam Maloof seminar in 1984 in Memphis, TN. He's just a guy like the rest of us....except he gets about $7,000 for a frame and panel Kentucky chest! Good for him!

I have been curious about Kelly's classes and am glad to hear that you think well of them. He is actually much closer to me than Marc - only about 1 hr down I-75.

I'll have to take one of his classes the next time I sell a big piece of furniture. My last project paid for the Tom Stangeland class coming up in May. Gotta support my habit somehow!

Thanks for the referral. I came here after using the Knots forum and have been very pleasantly surprised at the fine people that are so helpful here. The other forum was a little rough at times. Such a waste of good talent when those rants start!

I appreciate all of you fellows and will continue to look to some of the "old hands" for advice and inspiration in the future. :cool: