PDA

View Full Version : Just got my new used Leigh D4

Cliff Rohrabacher
04-07-2006, 6:53 PM
I have assembled the thing. It came rather cheap at under $300.00.

I am not altogether sure I won't end up getting a PC. At least not just yet I'm not. I'll give it a chance first.

I'm a little leery of the zink alloy castings they used so extensively and how much of the vaunted precision depends on nothing more sophisticated than casting to casting fitments. I'd expect wear to be a major problem.

It just seems lightweight and cheezy. We will see. Maybe I'll be eating a huge crow pie. If so then, for what I paid it'll be tasty crow.

Michael Ballent
04-07-2006, 7:08 PM
When you realize that you are no longer tied to the restrictions of the DT jig you will come to appreciate the Leigh Jig. :) On just about all the other Jigs you are pretty much left with having to size the drawer to the number of sockets you need to cut. Wth the Leigh just place your half pins at the top and bottom the the wood put a couple more pins in the middle without regard of the size the drawer.

Can you guess which jig I have :D ;) Pros use it day in and day out without any problems... I am sure I will be handing it down to my son and he's 4 months old :D

Jim Davenport
04-07-2006, 7:25 PM
I've got a "D-3" that I've upgraded with "D-4" stops and scales. It has give me great service since around the early nineties. The only problem I've ever had is when I slipped and ran a bit into one of the guide fingers.
The Leigh people are great to do business with. They are very friendly Typical of down home canadians. I think if you take your time and learn what the jig can do, you will be very happy with it. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to call Leigh.

Chris Rosenberger
04-07-2006, 8:09 PM
I have had my Leigh jig for over 16 years & I have not worn out any part of it yet. I have upgraded to the cam locks, new scales & stops, but it still has the original fingers.

Bill Webber
04-07-2006, 8:17 PM
I have had my Leigh jig for over 16 years & I have not worn out any part of it yet. I have upgraded to the cam locks, new scales & stops, but it still has the original fingers.

Yeah, what Chris said. Me too

The only problem is every time I use it I have relearn it. Nothing wrong with the jig, just me lacking brain power! :o

Barry O'Mahony
04-07-2006, 9:05 PM
I'm a little leery of the zink alloy castings they used so extensively and how much of the vaunted precision depends on nothing more sophisticated than casting to casting fitments.How do you figure that? I think the precision (i.e., how well the pins and tails match up) depends on the precision of the shape of an individual guide finger, not how well the guide fingers line up with each other.

Tom Ruflin
04-08-2006, 5:10 PM
Cliff,

If you every wear any parts out you are making way to many dovetails. One thing I found to be useful in setting up the fingers is a 24 inch center finding ruler. I believe I got mine from Lee Valley. It makes it easy and fast to setup the fingers for symetrical dovetails. I got my jig used for $150 and put another $120 to upgrade it to a D4. It is way better than the 12 inch PC jig I had.