PDA

View Full Version : How desirable is low profile fence for drill press?

Don Morris
04-07-2006, 5:32 PM
I've just too much going on right now to build my own drill press table (my original home made version doesn't cut the mustard) and LOML has given approval for this budget outlay. I've settled on the Woodpecker unit and have been waiting for them to go on sale which they periodically do. But they put the Low Profile version on sale this weekend and I'm wondering if any of you have any strong opinions about that version. In my mind there are times when a taller fence might give better support for work than than the shorter, but I do see the advantage of not having the chuck get blocked by the fence. Opinions please.

Vaughn McMillan
04-07-2006, 5:38 PM
Don, I have the Grizzly DP table, which has been great, especially considering the price, but there have been times I would have liked to have a shorter fence. I happened to see pictures of the Woodpecker low-fence version a few days ago, and it looks like a good idea. I'll probably build my own low fence the first time I have a need for one.

- Vaughn

Chris Barton
04-07-2006, 6:13 PM
Rockler also has a nice version (I don't own it, I made my own) that sells for around $100.

Dick Bringhurst
04-07-2006, 6:28 PM
Don, I've had both and prefer the short one. If a taller fence is needed, a jig can be made. Dick B.

Cliff Rohrabacher
04-07-2006, 6:44 PM
I must be realy dull: a fence for a Drill press?

OK. I guess if you gotta do a lot of holes all the same distance from an edge. I always just clamped something to the table for that.

Am I missing something?

Some substantial part of the times I use the DP I am working half on and half off the table with it swung mostly out of the way or set at an angle.

What am I missing?

Michael Ballent
04-07-2006, 6:59 PM
A DP table is much larger than the table that comes with a DP so there is more support for the work. The fence can help a piece stay in place as you drill and keep the work the same distance from the bit of you need to drill in a line. Also the tables usually have a place for a wood insert that you drill into so that your get a niece clean cut on both sides of the work.

I have the Rockler DP table and there are times that I wish that the fence was shorter, but it does not bother me too much...

I must be realy dull: a fence for a Drill press?

OK. I guess if you gotta do a lot of holes all the same distance from an edge. I always just clamped something to the table for that.

Am I missing something?

Some substantial part of the times I use the DP I am working half on and half off the table with it swung mostly out of the way or set at an angle.

What am I missing?

Steve Clardy
04-07-2006, 7:50 PM
I just throw a whatever board on there with another for a fence, backstop. Works for me.
I do have another drill press [2] setup only for boring euro door hinge holes. Small, short fence.

Don Bergren
04-07-2006, 8:29 PM
The fence I use on my drill press is also short. I like it that way and don't really have the need for a high fence. Mine is 1 - 1/2" high and it's more than enough height. If I needed a higher fence I'd add a removable one to the face of it but so far it's been fine.

Jim Becker
04-07-2006, 9:55 PM
My DP fence is also short and...further relieved right behind the "pointy things" to allow the chuck to get very close to the table with the fence close. The fence on the DP generally is there to stabilize the material and index it to the bit. In most cases you don't need or desire the support of a taller fence.

JayStPeter
04-07-2006, 10:27 PM
My fence is around 2.5" tall and is relieved at the center to allow the chuck to come down further. The extra height is nice for holding pieces on edge to get drilled.
The only problem is that occasionally when the table is up high, one of the arms used to lower the bit will hit the fence. The solution ... take that arm off and use the other 2 :D .

Jay