PDA

View Full Version : Wheat Stain

Michael Disorbo
04-07-2006, 4:21 PM
Hello Everyone,

I am building a kitchen island for my BIL and he has Aristokraft Cabinets that are hickory with a wheat stain. Is ther such a stain or is it something they came up with? He wants the island to match the cabinets, but I cannot find any stain with wheat in it around here. Anyone have any advice??

Thanks

Michael

Steve Clardy
04-07-2006, 4:44 PM
Never heard if it. Wonder if its a special mix for that company?
Maybe contact the co. itself for info.

tod evans
04-07-2006, 4:49 PM
michael, take a drawer and a piece of unfinished wood to your local paint store (not the borg!) they should be able to match it for you...02 tod

Matt Tawes
04-07-2006, 4:51 PM
You guesed it... no such thing (well maybe in some brands). All cabinet mfrs. custom blend their own colors and often times use a combination of sealers, stains followed by toners and tinted topcoats to achieve their color pallete (sometimes as many as 6 layers). I'm sure that with some patience and with experimentation on a sample board of the same species that you could probably closely match that stain with an oil or water based stain. Waterbased stains will give you the greatest chance of matching it with the least amount of additives. You could try a custom blended Minwax or other brands(actually get the store to try and match it for you) or why not check out Target coatings www.targetcoatings.com (http://www.targetcoatings.com) as they have a line of stains and universal colorants and tints that would help you achieve the color you want. Give Jeff Weiss at Target a call or an email and tell him what your trying to do and he can make some recomendations.

Reg Mitchell
04-07-2006, 6:23 PM
what color is the "Wheat stain" I have hickory in my cannets and I stained it with golden oak stain and it has a wheat flovor to it ....just a sugestion...I cag get pics later if you like......:)