PDA

View Full Version : Someone here is badly infected!!

Lee Schierer
08-19-2003, 2:55 PM
I just received over 60 emails all with virus attachements. The virus is W32.Sobig.F@mm. Whoever has the following collection of emails in their address book has it.

kitplans@yahoo.com
David.King@compaq.com
Max_Jens@post9.tele.dk
rapostol@lemacassociates.com
webmaster@woodshop.net
wfox@netset.com
admin@thewoodcrafter.net
info@asizip.com
eay@cryptsoft.com
info@xemico.com
amadeus@one.net
info@jabec.com
TMercks@juno.com
info@mrhvac.com
yodersj@ipass.net
services_corporate_division@nai.com
harvey@westnet.com
graphics.techsupport@matrox.com
support@scottrade.com
dcom-support@corp.cirrus.com
sales@panda.co.jp
Webmaster@Woodshop.Net
us71na@earthlink.net
vjohnson@iglou.com
contactus@TheWoodcrafter.net
AGwynn@RWD.com
tjh@cryptsoft.com
waandkj@juno.com
Wwwayno@aol.com
lhutchinson@kc.rr.com
isfeedback@nasdaq.com
support@winzip.com
Rob@UselessCreations.com
avbeta@nai.com

Please practice safe computing get an active virus checker.

Don Farr
08-19-2003, 3:07 PM
Hey Lee, I have gotten seven in the past hour. Don't know were they are coming from. Norton is catching them so far. The Creek is the only place I have been today.

Jim Becker
08-19-2003, 3:20 PM
Hey Lee, I have gotten seven in the past hour. Don't know were they are coming from. Norton is catching them so far. The Creek is the only place I have been today.

Once again, they are not coming from any forum...these viruses substitute addresses from the local address book on the infected machine for both the "to" and the "from" address so there is no way to tell who is really sending them. The only thing in common is that a reasonable percentage of them are from other woodworker's addresses or related places. I have a second one pounding me that has a lot of addresses from various media companies...

The only reason that viruses spread is because of human failure to protect against them or when someone unknowingly opens an attachement that they were not expecting to arrive. Bad news...

Tom Sweeney
08-19-2003, 3:39 PM
Between the work puter here & my personal email addy.
My ISP (same for both) has McAfee AV on their email server & a web interface to check & delete before downloading to my email client.
For the first time ever a few got through but the attachments were stripped out by either McAfee or my resident Norton AV.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE get, install & update a good Anti Virus Program
and a firewall if you have broadband. It's easy it's cheap & if everyone did it these worm droppings would have no reason to make these virii.

Jim Becker
08-19-2003, 4:01 PM
Here's an update on this from MSNBC:

http://www.msnbc.com/news/954470.asp?0cv=CB20

Steve Clardy
08-19-2003, 8:56 PM
Yes, really bad today. I've gotten around ten or so just today. Norton is doing a good job catching them though. Steve

Phil Phelps
08-19-2003, 9:25 PM
....that's the beauty of a Mac :D

Ken Salisbury
08-19-2003, 9:32 PM
I am either lucky or have a good security system. Haven't had a single incident. (knock on wood - no pun intended).

Jim Becker
08-19-2003, 9:53 PM
I am either lucky or have a good security system. Haven't had a single incident. (knock on wood - no pun intended).

Or...nobody has you in their address book... :rolleyes:

Mike Schwing
08-20-2003, 7:35 AM
....that's the beauty of a Mac :D

...and a well protected PC. I haven't seen a single one on any of my computers.

Ken Salisbury
08-20-2003, 8:53 AM
Or...nobody has you in their address book... :rolleyes:

I will guarantee ya I am in a lot of address books. Since my in-box is always loaded with mail every morning. Just the mail from Creekers is enough to keep the 7 Dwarfs busy all day :D