04-07-2006, 11:53 AM
My workbench is still under construction but progress can be seen:

http://foto.arcor-online.net/palb/alben/18/4030218/1280_6333623965343733.jpg

Made from Europena Beech the bench finally will have these dimensions:
Length: 87 inches
Width: 37 inches
Height: 36 1/2 inches
Top thickness: 3 Inches

The skeleton shown above has a weight of apperoximately 285 pounds.

http://foto.arcor-online.net/palb/alben/18/4030218/1280_3536343131393066.jpg

Cutting tenons onto both halves of the top (with a central tool tray).

http://foto.arcor-online.net/palb/alben/18/4030218/1280_6333323639656264.jpg

The trestles are connected by three stretchers.

http://foto.arcor-online.net/palb/alben/18/4030218/1280_3163363363346630.jpg

Sled feet with machine levelers.

Next steps:

- fixing the top(s) to the treste
- adding the front rail
- end caps
- mounting a mechanics vise on the left front
- mounting a Veritas Twin Screw Vise on the right side
- completing the tool tray
- cutting 3/4 inch bores for round dogs
- adding a storage floor between the bottom stretchers
- adding wax finish.

Summing up all components projects to a total weight of approximately 400 pounds.

Rick Schubert
04-07-2006, 12:45 PM
Rolf,

You've been busy! It looks great so far. My goal is to build a workbench myself someday soon. Seeing others do it inspires me. Thanks for sharing.

Rick

Bob Noles
04-07-2006, 5:50 PM
That is going to be one nice bench when finished. One you will be very proud of and those that follow behind will continue to have pride in.

Keep us posted on the progress and finished pictured are required :D :)

Rolf Safferthal
04-24-2006, 6:44 AM
The newest development on the bench project:

Front and front vise mounted, center tool tray improved. Gross weight now 352 lb.

http://foto.arcor-online.net/palb/alben/18/4030218/1280_3136376138383832.jpg

http://foto.arcor-online.net/palb/alben/18/4030218/1280_3864373637626233.jpg

Due to the fact that Iīm overseas for a month - that needs some prearrangements - the project now will be on halt for the next 6 weeks. Time to rethink some ideas or - maybe - get new ones.

Alan Turner
04-24-2006, 7:24 AM
A nice start on a Charesworth bench. Just out of curiosity, how expensive is the European beech? We do not have that available in the US, to my knowledge. Am. beech is too unstable for this work.

Rolf Safferthal
04-24-2006, 7:57 AM
A nice start on a Charesworth bench. Just out of curiosity, how expensive is the European beech? We do not have that available in the US, to my knowledge. Am. beech is too unstable for this work.

Alan,

European Beech comes for 450 - 800 Euro per cubic meter, depending on dimensions and if cured or not. What you see represents about 250 Euro.

Frank Pellow
04-24-2006, 8:00 AM
Your bench is looking very good to me Rolf. Thanks for all the pictures and I look forward to seeing more. Too bad that you have to stop work on it for a while.

I plan to build a traditional woodworking workbench in the autumn, so I am very interested in seeing what others have done and are doing.

Mark Pruitt
04-24-2006, 11:40 AM
Rolf,

That is one NICE looking bench! I've just started one of my own--sorry, no pics yet! I picked up a couple of good ideas from seeing yours. I really like the machine levelers on the sled feet. I think I'm going to steal that idea and incorporate it into my design.;) :) I'll be "slow as molasses in January" in getting mine completed--I'm just a weekender--time is so precious little. Thanks for sharing!!!

PS--the server must have gone down this morning. My forst reply got "eaten"!

Vaughn McMillan
04-24-2006, 2:49 PM
Looking nice, Rolf. I too would like to build a nice woodworking bench one of these days. I also like the blue tile walls in your shop. Don't see a lot of tiled shops here. I guess that's one of the great things about sharing woodworking with folks around the world. :)

- Vaughn

Rolf Safferthal
04-24-2006, 3:42 PM
@ Vaughn,
my shop is originally an indoor pool, located in (or below) the basement blasted into solid rock. Constructed 35 years ago, we donīt want to pay for the heating cost today. It needs two to three times the energy of heating the whole building with some 1.500 sqft. So its a more or less perfect place for a shop. Cool in summer and not too cold in winter. And easy to clean!

@ Mark,
the bench really needs the machine levelers. Reason: the pools floor has some inclime to make the water flow towards the outlet. This has to be compensaed. Over the benches length itīs about 3/4 of an inch.

@ Frank,
yes - really too bad to stop, but on the other hand it gives time to review and maybe some new ideas. And exploring the US Southwest is not that bad as a replacement!

@all:
The bench is heavily influenced by Lon Schleiningīs Workbench Book. I really liked his way to show how workbenches are build. Some people might need plans, but Iīm an (electronics) engineer and love to develop my own plan for personal needs and likings. Hope that sounds not too snotty.

Alan Turner
04-24-2006, 8:12 PM
Rolf,
Thanks for the info. How many b.f. to the c.m?

Roy Wall
04-24-2006, 9:31 PM
Rolf,

This is a nice looking - and sturdy - bench!! I've always liked that "center tool tray"....

Great job!!

Frank Pellow
04-24-2006, 9:48 PM
@ Frank,
yes - really too bad to stop, but on the other hand it gives time to review and maybe some new ideas. And exploring the US Southwest is not that bad as a replacement!

Right you are Rolf. Margaret (my wife) and I spent over a month on a long (about 7000 km) car trip through the US West (mostly South-West) last year about this time. We learned a lot and had a great time. It is amazing how much nearly empty (and mostly beautiful) county there is to traverse.

I wish you as good a trip as we had.

Rolf Safferthal
04-25-2006, 5:20 AM
Rolf,
Thanks for the info. How many b.f. to the c.m?

Sorry Alan,

may I ask for b.f.?? What kind of measuring unit is that? Only found board feet. If thats the right unit then a cubic meter has 424 board feet.

Hope it helps.

Alan Turner
04-25-2006, 5:39 AM
Sorry Alan,

may I ask for b.f.?? What kind of measuring unit is that? Only found board feet. If thats the right unit then a cubic meter has 424 board feet.

Hope it helps.

Yup, board feet it was. Taht means that your beech is only about $1.25 to 2.00 or so per board foot. Pretty inexpensive for a dense hardwood. For some reason I thought that the woods in Europe were more expensive.

Rolf Safferthal
04-25-2006, 6:35 AM
Alan,

hardwood isnīt cheap, but European beech is domestic and therefore one of the cheapest ones. There are huge expanses of beech forests in Germany. Oak and (rock) maple may have twice the price. Walnut is even more expensive.

Mark Pruitt
04-25-2006, 11:48 AM
Rolf, I had another question--the front of your workbench is a rather hefty piece which I really like. How did you join it to the top? I'm thinking maybe splines but am curious how you joined it.

Jerry Olexa
04-25-2006, 5:31 PM
Nice, sturdy looking bench. Good work!!

Vaughn McMillan
04-25-2006, 5:47 PM
Thanks for explaining the tile shop walls, Rolf. I'll bet you're the only person here on SMC who does woodworking in a swimming pool. :) I think it's a great way to re-use the space.

As someone who has lived virtually all my life in the soutewest US, I'm glad to see you'll be touring the area. If you've never been to that part of the world before, I think you're in for a great trip, and if you have been there before, you already know the trip will be nice.

- Vaughn

Rolf Safferthal
04-26-2006, 7:28 AM
@ Mark:

The front has a length of 82 5/8 in, a heigth of 7 1/8 in and is 1 7/8 in thick. Thickness of the piece equals the dimension of the top laminates, itīs simply higher and butt glued in the same manner. The top itself is 3 in thick, giving a resulting glueing area of nearly 250 sq.inches.

As glue I use Ponal Super 3, a water resistant white glue intended for strong joints and a lot of strong clamps for enough pressure.

@ Jerry: Thanks!

@Vaughn:

Yes, the pool shop might be unique! ;)

My wife and me we are touring the southwest since 1985. Nowadays "touring" might not be the right term staying the whole time in Moab, UT. We have friends there. A wonderful place to explore geological features which is a hobby of both of us.

I think we are some kind of afficinados of solitude and Mother Nature - calling it "Desert drunk and Red Rock crazy" :)

Frank Pellow
04-26-2006, 2:59 PM
@ Mark:
My wife and me we are touring the southwest since 1985. Nowadays "touring" might not be the right term staying the whole time in Moab, UT. We have friends there. A wonderful place to explore geological features which is a hobby of both of us.

I think we are some kind of afficinados of solitude and Mother Nature - calling it "Desert drunk and Red Rock crazy" :)
We spent 3 days in the Moab area on our western USA tour last year. It is certainly one of the places that we want to re-visit.

Rolf Safferthal
04-27-2006, 8:55 AM
We spent 3 days in the Moab area on our western USA tour last year. It is certainly one of the places that we want to re-visit.

Frank,

we roam the Moab area since 1987 unsing the town as some kind of a base camp. Some people know us and we have friends there.

If you consider a larger radius than 50 Miles there is enough to see for a lifetime - not only in the National Parks.

An example:
50 Miles from Moab south of Green River and easy to reach even with a limousine if careful driven: Green River Cold Water Geyser:

http://foto.arcor-online.net/palb/alben/18/4030218/1280_3034633666663964.jpg

If you are interested - more pictures here (http://www.usa-stammtisch.de/wbb2/thread.php?threadid=701). Sorry, the travelogue is in German.

Ken Fitzgerald
04-27-2006, 9:02 AM
Rolf.........I hope you've managed to get to the 4 Corners area south of Moab and to Monument Valley! A lot of movies have been filmed in Monument Valley. It's located about 70 miles southwest of Blanding which is south of Moab! I lived in Blanding as a child and saw a lot of the natural wonders there. I visited there 4 years ago after a 40 year absence. Not a lot of dramatic changes to the area. That's good!

Andy Hoyt
04-27-2006, 9:20 AM
Don't miss Canyonlands National Park.

Rolf Safferthal
04-27-2006, 9:24 AM
Rolf.........I hope you've managed to get to the 4 Corners area south of Moab and to Monument Valley! A lot of movies have been filmed in Monument Valley. It's located about 70 miles southwest of Blanding which is south of Moab! I lived in Blanding as a child and saw a lot of the natural wonders there. I visited there 4 years ago after a 40 year absence. Not a lot of dramatic changes to the area. That's good!

Ken,

glad to hear someone from southeastern Utah! :) Yes we know Blanding and the Grayson story too.;) Some nature keywords: Comb Ridge, Arch Canyon, The Bear Ears, Montezuma Creek and Canyon and Nevills Arch in Owl Canyon. It seems to be an endless list!

Monument Valley is one of our favorites too. Especially the seldom traveled roads and trails outside the Tribal Park area.

@ Andy

we won`t! Promised! :-)