PDA

View Full Version : I need help (Really off topic)

Don Farr
08-19-2003, 12:26 PM
I just found out today that the county that I live in is planning a land fill right next to my property. I have 22 acres of beautiful woods and all kinds of natural streams and wild life. I do not want to see it stunk up and destroyed. How can I start a grass roots movement to stop it? What are my chances? :mad:

Any and all advise welcome.

David LaRue
08-19-2003, 12:35 PM
Around here they create golf courses, and baseball parks next the land fills. In Detorit they have a ski hill made out of trash.... After they are closed.... many many years later after the ground water is spoiled.

I hope you can fight it. Good luck.

Don Farr
08-19-2003, 12:48 PM
Around here they create golf courses, and baseball parks next the land fills. In Detorit they have a ski hill made out of trash.... After they are closed.... many many years later after the ground water is spoiled.

I hope you can fight it. Good luck.

That brings up another point that I didn't think about. I'm on a private well about 220 feet deep. I wonder how long it will take to spoil it?

Lee Schierer
08-19-2003, 12:52 PM
That brings up another point that I didn't think about. I'm on a private well about 220 feet deep. I wonder how long it will take to spoil it?
I would advise that you get your water tested completely right now for contaminants. That way you have a before test to compare to.

Look for exotic or endangered plants and or animals is the fastest way to stop a land fill. If you can find endangered animals or plants, they will fail their environmental impact study! Also contact all the neighboring property owners and get thme to help.

Roger Fitzsimonds
08-19-2003, 1:01 PM
Don,

I would contact all the environmental groups you can find. Sierra Club etc. Testing your water is a good Idea. they are suppose to install basin containers in land fills now that consist of a 10 mil plastic sheet so the ground water is not contaminated. You know how that goes. You might see where Dallas gets there city water if it is well water that might be a lever. I feel for you the governments seem to take what they want with out consequence. Hang in there and make as much noise as you can.

Roger
North Georgia.

Bart Leetch
08-19-2003, 4:00 PM
Make sure you own the water rights to your well or you may be up a creek with out a paddle. Or down a well with no water & nothing you can do about it. This is much like having mineral rights or timber rights.

Kevin Gerstenecker
08-19-2003, 6:43 PM
Don, years back, I was involved in a organized effort to prevent a Landfill Expansion in my Home Town. A little history behind how I got involved and what transpired: I was a Landscape Contractor and I had a very good client who raised horses and lived across the road from a Landfill. The Landfill Corporation was attempting to purchase additional acreage and expand. These folks had a well, that was already contaminated. The Coloform count was off the chart, and the only explaination was that the Leachate from the Landfill was the cause. There was a VERY organized Grass Roots effort underway to halt the expansion. I attended meetings, we had the EPA involved, we had tons of Video footage of law violations by the landfill operators. Everything from improperly labeled trucks, operation hours violations, and uncovered trash at the end of the business day. (The law clearly states that the trash MUST be covered at the end of the dumping day......which was rarely, if ever, done.) To make a longer story short, there was little we could accomplish, even regarding the law violation. We had several local prominent residents, and attorneys, leading our fight, and in the end, we could do nothing. The Corporations that own most waste disposal companies in our country have VERY deep pockets. The will stop at NOTHING to accomplish what they desire. The Landfill Corporation contacted me, probably because I was VERY vocal and had tons of factual information to back up my claims, and attempted to give me LARGE contracts for Grading, Grass Seeding, and other Landscape Beautification projects on their Landfill Property. Of course, I declined the offer. Probably not a sound business decision, but I have a moral standard and good ethics, and I know it was hush money, although it was all above board. I could have named my price for the work, and they would have paid it. I am not implying that all large Waste Corporations are corrupt, but this company is a Nationwide Operation, and they do not care what it costs to get their plans implemented. I wish you luck in your fight.......maybe the laws have changed and there is something you can do............I hope so. There is strength in numbers, and we turned some heads with our fight, but in the end, the Farmer who owned the property received an unprecedented amount for his property. He promptly move out of the area...............he was so ashamed of what he did he couldn't face the local population. I know this Farmer well.............he is my Cousin. Sad story, but very true. Bottom line: It's all about Money! :confused:

Tom Sweeney
08-20-2003, 12:21 PM
Sorry about your plight.
In my experience, in our area, the local municipalities & the county will pretty much do what they want. We have a local city in my area that is taking private property with eminent domain,to put in a golf course & recreation center. Mind you I would love a municipal golf course 5 minutes from my house - but I will never set foot on it if it goes through.
There is a small family (gentleman's) farm involved, with three generations living on it. This farm isn't even in the city limits, it's in the adjoining township. they are spending tons of money fighting the taking of their property. They do not want to sell period. This fight has gotten real ugly with lawyers, arrests, a fire set on the property & a lot of other stuff.

Bottom line is even though public opinion seems to be against it, & the city has lost several of the court battles, the city is pushing through full speed ahead. They think it will be the salvation of a city that is really declining. I don't know, maybe getting rid of the prostitutes & crack dealers would be a better first step than a multi million dollar golf course! But what do I know?

I have had much better luck with state legislators than local ones - though the state won't get involved if it doesn't fall under their jurisdiction - except maybe to make a public statement about it.

A grass roots effort to fight a large water bottling company from coming in & taking a huge amount of water from our local ground water source. was just successfull in getting the permit turned down - so it does happen.

Your best bet would definately be to find an enviromental impact - that would definately throw a wrench in the works. Get as many people (voters & taxpayers) together as possible - make a lot of noise - see if you can find an enviromental activist lawyer to help you pro bono, call the state & federal legislaters for your area. Like others said - make a lot of noise. Do a web site & ask for donations to help the fight.

One contrary thought is that all the trash we make does have to go somewhere - just why can't they put it way out in the boonies where it won't effect anyone. Seems like there are places in every state that have little or no population in the immediate vicinity - but it would cost more for the companies to haul it. Our trash bill isn't too bad, I would gladly pay a little more if I knew the reason was that the trash was being hauled a longer distance to make less of an impact.

Good luck!

Don Farr
08-20-2003, 2:30 PM
Thanks for all the tips guys. I will be in the process of grathering ammo for the fight. Town hall meeting Sept. 23, 2003 at 2:00 PM.

Charles McKinley
08-20-2003, 3:34 PM
Hi Don,

Try contacting Penn Future, www.pennfuture.org .

They were one of the groups that stopped a landfill near McConnels Mill State park here in W. PA. They may be able to give you some help with what information you will need.

Good luck,

Don Farr
08-24-2003, 3:25 PM
Update and Great news!
I was getting the battle up to speed and found out the application for the land fill was withdrawn.
I don't think it was because of me. The lady at planning and development said they didn't give a reason.
Thank God :D

Tom Sweeney
08-24-2003, 5:50 PM
Now you can rest easy!!

Update and Great news!
I was getting the battle up to speed and found out the application for the land fill was withdrawn.
I don't think it was because of me. The lady at planning and development said they didn't give a reason.

Charles McKinley
08-25-2003, 11:39 AM
Hi Don,

If you are really concerned I would try to buy the land or get a group that will not put a dump on it to buy it.

Rob Russell
08-26-2003, 10:05 AM
Update and Great news!

Don,

Just because the application was withdrawn doesn't mean that they aren't going to pursue the landfill. It may mean that they are pulling back until they have "all their ducks in a row" before refiling the application.

As noted above, you'd be wise to take some defensive measures to protect your property. Buying the landfill site seems like an expensive solution and may just relocate the landfill to the new boundary between you/it.

Rob

Don Farr
08-26-2003, 12:38 PM
Buying the land is out of the question. It is a 200 acre track and land in my area is going for about 10k to 12k per. I wouldn't want it if I could afford it. There is no road back to it and the taxes would kill you. My 22 acres is $2400.00 a year.
Mike Schwing thinks he lives in a tax me state.
I did find out that the deadline for applications is noon, first Friday of the month. So between me and a couple neighbors maybe we can stay on top of it.