PDA

View Full Version : Hail damage and tornados

Jim Hager
04-07-2006, 9:52 AM
Last weekend we were the recipient of some of the biggest and longest lasting hail that I had ever seen. Over 2000 roofs in our community are damaged plus a tornado wiped out a small community just south of town and also did some more damage out in the country.

My own damage was limited to every one of my metal roofs including my shop, storage building and camper shed. Also my whirlybirds on the roof of the house were destroyed. Our hail started out as pea sized and kept increasing in size over a 45 minute period ending in a shower of tennis ball and baseball sized hail for about 15 minutes. Never seen anything like that before.

My shop roof recieved thousands of large dents and several hundred cracks in the metal and will have to be replaced along with the other metal roofs.

My mom's roof is a total loss too.

This pic is taken just before the big stuff started to fall, my camera card ran out of space and I didn't get to get any shots of the big stuff falling.:(

http://a0.cpimg.com/image/B4/B3/56978100-73ea-02000180-.jpg

This is a picture of a hail stone that I picked up about 15-20 minutes after it stopped falling. That is a 2" roll of masking tape lying beside it on a 13" ceramic tile.
http://a6.cpimg.com/image/02/CE/56978946-116f-02000180-.jpg

The insurance adjusters are crawling all over the place here trying to settle the damages to buildings and autos.

Sorry for the late report but I've been sorta busy:cool:

Joe Tonich
04-07-2006, 10:06 AM
Man, your lucky you have any roof left. :eek: Hail that size definitely has destructive power. Glad ya weren't hurt and hope your insurance treats ya good.

Ken Fitzgerald
04-07-2006, 10:09 AM
Jim.......I'll bet there are a lot of car owners with severly dimpled roofs and broken windshields!

tod evans
04-07-2006, 10:09 AM
glad you`re okay jim! hope there where no bikers out then:eek: ..02 tod

Keith Starosta
04-07-2006, 10:22 AM
WOW!! :eek:

That is amazing. I'm glad nobody was hurt, Jim.

Man, as if Terry Hatfield wasn't busy enough already......:rolleyes:

- Keith

Jim Hager
04-07-2006, 11:02 AM
glad you`re okay jim! hope there where no bikers out then:eek: ..02 tod

Just before it all started I saw some guy heading west on hwy 90 with a convertable PT Cruiser with the top down and the back seat full of seedling trees. I hope he didn't get knocked in the head.

Joe Mioux
04-07-2006, 8:51 PM
Jim:

Hope all is well. or as well as can be expected.

This has been some interesting weather. Earlier this week, I posted the damage done to one of my greenhouses. Today, we had a hail storm.

Joe