PDA

View Full Version : Old weird saw - not mine.

Cliff Rohrabacher
04-07-2006, 9:42 AM
While surfing I found this.

I'm not interested but an antique tool guy might want to look.

Michael Fross
04-07-2006, 1:41 PM
Becareful Cliff. Links to auction sites are expressly forbidden here. Take a look at Dave's sticky note about disallowed links at the top of the Neander page.

Michael

Brett Baldwin
04-07-2006, 2:02 PM
This one by Derek seems to be a similar type of saw. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=30319

Michael Stafford
04-07-2006, 2:18 PM
Not a neander expert by any means, but it appears to be a staircase saw. These saws were used to saw dados to precise depths so that treads could be inlet into risers for strength. Correct me if I am wrong.

Steve Clardy
04-07-2006, 2:41 PM
Beautiful old stair saw.

Sure wish they would get this ebay posting policy down straight.
Its fuzzy to me.
On another note, I found a disston stair saw a couple weeks ago and bought it. I'm going to make me one off the pattern, changing it some. I'll have Mike M make me a blade, etc.
Then the disston is going up for sale.

Alan DuBoff
04-07-2006, 5:04 PM
Sure wish they would get this ebay posting policy down straight.Its fuzzy to me.Yeah, it's actually fuzzy to me also Steve, and I like to think of myself as inet savey.

I've had a post or two removed for violation of the fuzzy logic used in determining what is allowed or not, so tend to side on the side of safety and not post links as I would normally.

Seems when the policy was put in place, ebay links weren't allowed due to the fact that the poster could be the seller on ebay. Seems silly to over-ride good 'ol trust of the users if that is the case or not, but I'm not trying to debate policy. I find that having some moderation is good in some cases, opposed to the mayhem which arises frequently over on w@@dnet.

With that said, I completely respect Dave or other's decision to moderate SMC, and having felt some of the w@@net mayhem, SMC seems a friendly place in comparison. I think this is a good thing...

Cliff Rohrabacher
04-07-2006, 5:52 PM
So now I am a scofflaw, breaking rules and posting links. Soon I shall be banned. I can almost feel the ban-fairy flittering over me.

I am sure that there is a reason for such a policy against links however, I am unable to imagine what it might be.

So then, are links allowed according to type? Just specific ones or none at all ??

Any way Thanks for the explanation. A stair dado saw makes perfect sense. It is all clear now.

Steve Clardy
04-07-2006, 6:33 PM
Cliff. I've been around here since dirt was invented.:eek: :rolleyes:

Back long ago, a few posted links for sale in ebay. Their stuff.
So, beings this is a non-commercial site, a few expressed their opinions about posting ebay links.
Adminstrators figured that most that expressed their concerns were against it, even if it was a members sale.
I myself do not see a problem with the ebay links.
But, even though it really wasn't a voting session, I got out voted.:rolleyes: :( ;) :)

Cliff Rohrabacher
04-07-2006, 6:36 PM
Well maybe we should start a rebellion.

Complain bitterly and frwquently that every time we log on there are no links asserting that the absence of links is causing us pain and hardship.
Like that only more annoying.

Dennis McDonaugh
04-07-2006, 6:53 PM
That's not a bad idea. Seems to me since the site is now paid for by member contributions that we should be able to modify the TOS to suit the members. I don't know of any members who have actually said they like the bad to auctions. I think initially it was to conserve bandwidth and stop commercial posting.

Jeff Horton
04-07-2006, 7:04 PM
Count me in, I think it is stupid not to allow woodworking related links. I have bougth a couple of hand tools because someone posted a link to an auctoin on EBay on at woodnet. Had they not posted it I might not have found it. The hand tool guys are a great bunch of guys and I have never seen a problem posting a link to an auction, regardless if it was the posters auction or not.

I must also add, this is a much more civil place than woodnet, except the hand tools group over there. As I said, that is great bunch of guys there.

Steve Clardy
04-07-2006, 7:24 PM
Count me in, I think it is stupid not to allow woodworking related links. I have bougth a couple of hand tools because someone posted a link to an auctoin on EBay on at woodnet. Had they not posted it I might not have found it. The hand tool guys are a great bunch of guys and I have never seen a problem posting a link to an auction, regardless if it was the posters auction or not.

I must also add, this is a much more civil place than woodnet, except the hand tools group over there. As I said, that is great bunch of guys there.
I frequent the handtools over there also. Daily

James Mittlefehldt
04-08-2006, 11:03 AM
Getting back to the original subject, ie stair saws, I bought one recently off a dollar table in the back room of an antique dealer. The only thing he knew for sure was it was a saw of some sort. I Explained to him what it was and what it is used for, but not till after I had paid for it.

I think it was homemade as the blade was rip cut and quite thick, so probably came from some old Diston or other that was beyond repair. Definitly worth a dollar and it was actually fairly sharp to.

Mike Wenzloff
04-08-2006, 11:12 AM
Hi James,

It ws common to make the saws from .035" steel even by the manufacturers. But I have probably seen more user-made stair saws in the wild than one of the makers.

This one has .025" steel. Extends quite deep as it will be used for cutting the female portion of sliding DTs with the aid of a guide block. So it needed to extend quite deep.

It also has a 10" blade, 13 ppi. The hang is lowered more than a typical stair saw, which really were quite high. Never fully understood that. The one that was in this thread also had a lower hang. Makes for an easier long cut.

http://wenzloffandsons.com/saws/cc/cc_0001.jpg

Take care, Mike

Rick Schuman
04-08-2006, 11:28 AM
Stair saw? Nah. Its a reproduction of a 17th century Swedish tenon saw.