PDA

View Full Version : New Finishing Method (long)

Glenn Hodges
04-07-2006, 3:34 AM
Well it is new for me. Others might have tried it, but I have not heard anyone write about it. The swamp chestnut bowl I posted yesterday that I said while finishing the bottom I made a big mistake and went through the bottom causing a big hole. The hole was patched with epoxy. When the epoxy had dried I sanded it to 600 grit, and I could see scatches so I used the Beal System's tripoli grade to buff out the minute scratches made with the 600 grit paper. Oak is a very porous wood so I went ahead and buffed the entire bowl before I sprayed it with lacquer. The bowl felt smooth as glass to the touch, and was very shiney after buffing. I think it also helped fill the oak's pores. I then sprayed the bowl with lacquer primer twice, hand rubbed with synthetic steel wood (grey color which is 0000 grade), then started spraying multiple coats and rubbing the nubbs between coats with the synthetic steel wool. When I reached a finish I was pleased with I did not have to do any buffing on the bowl. This is a lot of trouble, but it allows me to look someone in the eye and know I have done my best when I am asking them to give me their money for a bowl. I have used this method on other bowls, but never told anyone about it. My question is, "Have any of you tried this?"

John Hart
04-07-2006, 7:46 AM
I did everything you described except the two coats of laquer primer. Only did it on a recent bowl and came up with the same results you describe Glenn. I was fairly impressed with how it came out. No buffing necessary!

Chris Barton
04-07-2006, 8:10 AM
Very interesting! I will have to give this method a try. Nice bowl John.

Ken Fitzgerald
04-07-2006, 9:13 AM
Thanks Glenn for sharing this! I'll try it in the next couple of days!

Bernie Weishapl
04-07-2006, 9:58 AM
Thanks Glenn. I am going to have to try that on the next bowl. Appreciate it.

Bruce Shiverdecker
04-07-2006, 3:24 PM
Since I don't Spray anything, I haven't done it. The results are striking.

Bruce

Stephen Hibbs
04-07-2006, 6:48 PM
Does using a spray lacquer give a smoother finish (as opposed to using a rag) even without the primer and buffing?

Glenn Hodges
04-08-2006, 12:48 AM
Stephen I can't answer that one for you maybe someone else will off a comment.

Ernie Nyvall
04-08-2006, 8:56 AM
Thanks Glenn, but it does puzzle me some. I thought the buffing compounds like tripoli had wax mixed with them, and with that in mind, it doesn't seem like lacquer or lacquer sealer would adhere to the surface that well.

Don't get me wrong here ... the bowl is beautiful and I certainly wouldn't question your method... just trying to get it worked out in my head.

Ernie