PDA

View Full Version : next choice in finish

Stephen Hibbs
04-06-2006, 11:57 PM
Well, I spilled my can of semi-gloss polyeurethane varnish, and I'm going to replace it asap. What I am wondering is:
A)If i get the glossy (I had semi-gloss) will it give me a glossier finish with fewer coats?
B)what are the drawbacks to glossy poly (I like shiny, so that's not a con)
C)It seems that the things I have varnished with Danish oil (at school) look a bit nicer, would it be worth it to also pick up a small can of Danish oil as the initial coat to bring out the color? I realize it increases waiting time before utilitarian usage.

Thank you
-Stephen

Curtis O. Seebeck
04-07-2006, 1:27 AM
Stephen,

Yes, gloss will give you a gloss easier and quicker than semi-gloss. I can't think of any drawbacks since you like the higher gloss.

One finish that I have been using a lot lately and really likeing is Formby's Tung Oil Finish in high gloss. It is not tung oil but but rather a gloss varnish that is thinned to make a wiping varnish. Goes on easy with a rag without marks and seems really durable. Also has a high gloss. I put on 2 coats in a circular wiping fashion like I am waxing a car. After dry, I then buff on the beal system and end up with a really nice, high gloss finish that really pops the grain. I like it.

Dennis Peacock
04-07-2006, 2:24 AM
Stephen,

you can alway mix your varnish and the Danish oil together (in small quantities of course) and apply that way as well. You'll get the oil benefit along with the varnish coating.

It's usually a good idea to start with Gloss. You can always dull it down with some 0000 steel wool or synthetic pad. If it's too flat? Just apply another coat of gloos. :D

BTW, I packed you several "surprise" pen blanks tonight. Ready to ship out tomorrow.:eek: :D