PDA

View Full Version : Which One Do You Like Better? (Pics)

joseph j shields
04-06-2006, 11:54 PM
Hi,

My name is Matt. I'm using my Dad's account. I'm 16. I made two Shaker silverware caddies out of paduk, birdseye maple and tigerstripe maple veneer. I'm donating one to my school auction and one to my church auction. Take a look.

Which one do you like better?

One of them has the dovetails on the sides & the other on the ends.

Thanks for your input!

Matt

Ken Fitzgerald
04-06-2006, 11:57 PM
Matt..........Welcome to the Creek! Very nice work! I like the first photo.

Mike Goetzke
04-07-2006, 12:10 AM
Very nice work - I like the DT on the sides also.

Larry Cooke
04-07-2006, 12:11 AM
Hello Matt and welcome to the Creek!

I'm with Ken, I like the first one too. Very nice work on both of them.

Larry

Barry Stratton
04-07-2006, 12:15 AM
Great job on the silverware caddies. I like the third photo best. While the caddy with the dovetails on the long side is more "traditional", I think they will both do well in the auctions.

Thats real nice of you to donate your time, energy, and craftsmanship to helping others.

Dave Bonde
04-07-2006, 12:16 AM
Hello and welcome Matt, they both look great but I also like the dovetails on the side. Dave

Norman Hitt
04-07-2006, 2:08 AM
Hello Matt, Very nice work on both. My Personal preference, (as is usual, is opposite of the others),:rolleyes: but I really like the one with the dovetails on the ends.:D They should both do well at the auctions I would think.

Dan Forman
04-07-2006, 3:45 AM
Mat---Great job on both of them. I suspect most of us will be more comfortable with the first one, mainly due to the fact that we are used to seeing dovetails on drawers, so this configuration looks more familiar, and therefore "correct". Dovetails are usually aligned to best resist the forces which will work against them. In this case, the primary force will be downward, so either configuration will work equally well. In otherwords, either way is technically correct, so it's just a matter of personal preference. In general, most people like seeing what they expect to see, others like to see something different form the norm. Which to do? One of the great riddles of craftmanship. Have fun, looks like you are well on your way.

Dan

Vaughn McMillan
04-07-2006, 3:54 AM
Welcome to the Creek, Matt. Excellent work for anyone, especially someone your age. (Must run in the family...your dad does great work, too.) I know I sure wasn't making that nice of stuff when I was 16. Heck, I'm about three times your age and I still haven't made dovetails than nice. :)

My vote is for the one in the first pic. In my opinion, the contrast is more balanced in the first one as you view it from different angles. I'd be interested to hear which one the buying public likes the best. When you post to let us know how they did in the auctions, you should go ahead and set up an account of your own on Sawmill Creek (if your dad approves). That way when you post future pictures, we'll be sure to know who gets the credit. ;)

- Vaughn

Mike Cutler
04-07-2006, 5:35 AM
Hi Matt.

Nice work on all of them. I like the caddies in the 3rd picture, but the others are very well done.

Pleased to meet ya', and welcome to Sawmill Creek.

PS. It's ok to register as a member, we'd hate to see your pop get credit for your work.;)

Mark Pruitt
04-07-2006, 7:49 AM
Matt,

I like them both. Very nice work! If I just HAD to choose between them, I'd go with the one with the tails cut into the padauk. I also like the fact that you used a sliding dovetail to attach the center piece. Welcome!

Mark

larry merlau
04-07-2006, 7:50 AM
its looks like dad has taught you well, i too like them both, but tend to go with the third photo with them on the ends,,reason being that my eye would catch the dovetails easir on a table.. generally they would be in the postion i think waiting to be used.. just a explaination and you should register and have your own membership.. welcom to wwrking addiction:D

Garry Smith
04-07-2006, 8:10 AM
Fine job on both, but I will go with the dovetails on the end.

John Anderson
04-07-2006, 8:26 AM
Dang Boy, that's purty work!

As to which I like the best,............ how 'bout the third picture (both of 'em) - real toss-up, but I believe my pick would be the one with the tails in the ends. I know it ain't what the majority say, but maybe that's what appeals to me, its different.

Keep up the good work....

Steve Clardy
04-07-2006, 9:35 AM
Welcome Matt. Nice work!!

Keel McDonald
04-07-2006, 9:51 AM
I like the dovetails on the sides. Nice work!

Rich Torino
04-07-2006, 10:04 AM
Real nice work...... My vote is for #1

Keith Starosta
04-07-2006, 10:35 AM
Here's another vote for the dovetails on the sides.

They look great, Matt! Keep it up.

- Keith

Julio Navarro
04-07-2006, 10:56 AM
I like the dark on light though they both are great work!

Steve Beadle
04-07-2006, 11:12 AM
Not only do I prefer the one with the dovetails on the ends, but I think that structurally it makes more sense, because the sliding dovetails on the handle will tend to hold the construct together the long way, and the dovetailed end pieces hold it together the other direction.

John Miliunas
04-07-2006, 11:54 AM
Matt, first off, welcome to the Creek!!! :) As someone else also mentioned, absolutely no reason you couldn't get your own login, as well! :D

Absolutely wonderful work on both counts. Great fit and finish and super choice of woods. I will, however, have to go with the majority and say the DT's on the side look more appealing. Just personal taste, I guess. :) As for the eventual home for these pieces, kudo's to you, Matt! That's very generous of you. Keep up the great work and, we'll be looking forward for more stuff from you! Way cool!!! :D :cool:

Mike Wenzloff
04-07-2006, 12:01 PM
Hi,

My name is Matt. I'm using my Dad's account. I'm 16. I made two Shaker silverware caddies out of paduk, birdseye maple and tigerstripe maple veneer. I'm donating one to my school auction and one to my church auction. Take a look.

Which one do you like better?

One of them has the dovetails on the sides & the other on the ends.

Thanks for your input!

Matt
Welcome Matt!

I would gladly take either. I know that doesn't help you answer your question, but either look nice to my eye. I'm sure whoever wins the bid will be more than happy with either!

Take care, Mike

Von Bickley
04-07-2006, 1:57 PM
Matt,

I think they both look GREAT... Welcome to the Creek.

Now get your own account with us.:) :) :)

Kent Fitzgerald
04-07-2006, 3:48 PM
Matt, these are wonderful. Keep up the great work!

As you've seen from all the replies, if you ask 10 woodworkers, you'll get 12 opinions! I honestly can't decide which I like better.

If you're going to make more of these, have you considered using through dovetails? Since the DTs are a design feature of the piece, you might want to make them show on all sides.

Roger Bailey
04-07-2006, 7:01 PM
Welcome Matt! You have done a great job on both pieces. I hope that WW stays in your blood, its a great hobby and from what you have shown us you can make a few bucks with work like that.

George Kretschmann
04-07-2006, 9:00 PM
Matt..........Welcome to the Creek! Very nice work! I like the first photo.

1st one...;)

Roy Hatch
04-07-2006, 9:24 PM
Matt, I am impressed with both of them and predict that the new owners will traesure them for years to come. It's great to see someone your age taking such pride in his workmanship. Keep it up!
Roy

Steve Ash
04-07-2006, 9:42 PM
Matt, first off like others have said....Welcome to the creek! I like them both and am amazed at your talent, Look forward to seeing more of your stuff as well. Good job!

lou sansone
04-07-2006, 10:02 PM
welcome to the creek
I like the 2nd photo with the dovetails on the end
best wishes
lou

Bob Huddleston
04-08-2006, 6:31 AM
I like the one with the dovetails on the side. Like the clean look to the long side. BUT...both are awesome. Good work.

scott spencer
04-08-2006, 7:45 AM
Hi Matt and welcome to the Creek. Nice work! I like the dovetails that show on the sides (pic 1). IMO, the longer piece of wood benefits more from the dovetail detail than the shorter end piece.

Matt Shields
04-08-2006, 2:14 PM
Ok guys, I gave in. Here is my account. I hope you're all happy.

lol

I'll post some pics of my other works up a in a little bit.

John Miliunas
04-08-2006, 2:24 PM
Awwwwright, Matt! (Chalk one up for the old guys!!! :D ) Great to have you on board officially! :) I, for one, am looking forward to seeing some more of your great work! Keep it up, dude! :) :cool: