PDA

View Full Version : Winged bowls how to ?

Jeff Horton
04-06-2006, 10:48 PM
I have a couple pieces of Pecan crotch that would be perfect for a winged bowl. The pieces are not very thick and I have been trying to decide what to do with them.

I started looking at them last night and while I understand the basics of how to turn them I am not sure how to make the last cut. Here is what I was thinking and then someone can correct me.

Mounting the slab on a faceplate with bark side out. Turning the back/bottom of the bowl/wing. Create a tennon to mount on the chuck.

Reverse blank. Mount on tennon and finish turning.

Now how to most of you finish the bottom. Cole jaws are not going to work. Clamping the inside of the bowl in the chuck could mar the finished bowl. I am thinking you need a vacuum chuck? Or maybe one those plywood jigs with the carriage bolts. Assuming you can clear the wings.

Ken Fitzgerald
04-06-2006, 10:56 PM
Jeff..........I could be wrong....but with the winged bowl, I'd be a little hesitant and careful about using a friction chuck since the winged bowl will not have it's weight distributed evenly! I think if it were me I'd make one of those plywood jigs. In fact, I bought the hardware and the rubber to line it with today. Last night on my first bowl I ran into the same dilemna. I expanded my chucks jaws to the max......balled up some rags and cover the jaws. Then I placed the bowl over the rags and brought the tailstock up to the bowl. I used the tailstock to center the bowl and turned the tennon down to about 1/8" diameter. At that point, I gently cupped the spinning bowl in the palm of my left hand and finished the cut using my parting tool. It worked fine but I felt limited in what I could do to the bottom to finish it. So....I have a lot of plywood scraps left from covering the walls of my shop so....I'm making the jig....tonight or Saturday....if I get some more of the "Honey Do" list finished first!

John Hart
04-07-2006, 7:17 AM
What Ken is describing using the rags works pretty well. You can also use a mouse pad and that gives you some good grip. Bring the tailstock up and give it plenty of pressure and you should be able to turn the entire foot except for the little nub that the live center is seated in. Then remove the piece from the lathe and sand the nub away. Works pretty well.

Jeff Horton
04-07-2006, 8:22 AM
Had not thought about mouse pads or rags either. I almost picked up a couple of mouse pads at Big Lots the other night but didn't really have a need. Might have to go back and get them.

OK, got to head out to do a job. Weather man has been telling us for two days we have SEVERE storms coming today. Going to get this done and get back home near the storm shelter.