PDA

View Full Version : Need Some Carving Done

Vaughn McMillan
04-06-2006, 7:12 PM
I'm looking for someone with a brand-new Carvewright (or a ShopBot owner) who's looking for an excuse to make some wood dust. I'm going to be building LOML's brother a viking bed, as well as helping him with a viking tent that he's already started building. Both of these projects have horse or dragon head designs carved into them. The attached pic gives an idea of the type of carving, although it's not the exact pattern. There are other examples here (http://www.ravensgard.org/prdunham/Gbed.html) of a similar carving that are probably closer to what he actually wants. We would provide the graphic file (likely a .jpg) with the patterns.

In total, there are 6 carved heads, four of one pattern for the tent (a horse, as I understand it) and two of another pattern for the bed (a dragon). LOML's bro would like the pattern carved on both sides of the pieces, although one-sided would do in a pinch. I don't have final dimensions, but none of the actual carvings would exceed about 10" or 11" in width, and probably about 18" in length. Each bed head carving would ideally be done on a single piece of wood (so about 3' to 4' long), but if necessary, I could attach the carved piece to another board to get the required length. The tent carvings would be a bit smaller dimensionally than those for the bed, and the plan is for them to be separate...I'll need to devise an attachment system to connect them to the ends of the tent pole. He's using 3/4" poplar for both projects, and we could supply (and ship) the materials if necessary.

I have no idea what the going rate for this type of work is, but I told LOML's bro that I'd check here to get a feel for what CNC carved pieces would cost him. I don't know what his budget is for this, but if it's beyond his means, I'll probably end up trying to emulate the carvings with a router freehand...something I'd really rather not do. ;)

If any of you new Carvewrighters (or ShopBotters) are interested in doing this work, please drop me a PM with a ballpark price estimate. I can give you any additional details if necessary.

Thanks in advance -

- Vaughn

Don Baer
04-06-2006, 7:32 PM
Gee Vaughn,
May be time for you to get a new tools for the shop...:rolleyes:

Maybe your future Bro inlaw would pay for it...:D . There only $2k

Vaughn McMillan
04-06-2006, 10:55 PM
Don, FIBL is so cheap he whines about having to buy the gas to drive to see his elderly mother 20 miles away. I'm thinking he's probably not gonna fall for the "I need a new tool" routine. ;) But if I happened to come across an extra $2K, I'd be on the Carvewright like a fly on honey.

- Vaughn

Vaughn McMillan
04-11-2006, 4:35 AM
Didn't mean to scare everyone off by mentioning how cheap FIBL is. :p He knows this is gonna cost him -- I'm just trying to get a price range so he knows how much. I guess in the meantime, I'll start brushing up on my freehand router skills. ;)

- Vaughn

Anthony Welch
04-11-2006, 8:54 AM
I read up on both this forum and the "shopbot" forum, as to acquire one or both of thes machines in the future. Since you've no hits here try the "shopbot" forum. There are folks like yourself who post there for jobs to be done. And some may be local to you.

Vaughn McMillan
04-12-2006, 5:17 AM
Thanks for the tip Anthony. I'll check out the Shopbot forum when I get a chance. I got a PM from one Shopbotter here and got some rough cost guestimates to pass along to the FBIL. I'll see if CNC carving is within his budget for this project.

- Vaughn

Keith Outten
04-19-2006, 8:01 PM
Shari,

It is nice to see some pictures of some of the projects from you folks who recently purchased Carvewright machines. I expect that we will certainly see more in the future as the Carvewright machines are certainly affordable which should make for a short payback period. Don't forget that you can add drop-in laser engraved medalions in your carved signs, it adds a nice touch.