PDA

View Full Version : OK, so I'm gonna............

Richard Jones
04-06-2006, 7:11 PM
try a few pens. Going to the Woodcraft store on Saturday in Va. Beach, help me with some fundamental equipment/supplies to turn a few pens.

Many thanks.

Rich in VA

Chris Barton
04-06-2006, 7:40 PM
A pen mandrel is a must as well as drill bits that match the size of the brass barrels. A barrel trimmer is handy but, not a necessary item. Past that I am assuming that you have gouges and sandpaper and finishing materials.

Bernie Weishapl
04-06-2006, 8:46 PM
Good luck Richard. I am sure you will do well. Just pay attention to detail.

Bob Noles
04-06-2006, 8:48 PM
EEE Ultra Shine.... no lathe shop should be without it :p

Andy Hoyt
04-06-2006, 9:18 PM
......some fundamental equipment......

Will that be common mustard or value added mayo?

Richard Jones
04-06-2006, 9:24 PM
Will that be common mustard or value added mayo?

Well, the "mayo" 1642 is about 6-8 months out yet, so these will be done "Green"............

Still trying to figure out which mandrel and which bits and which kit and which which which..............

Thanks to all for the help so far..........

Rich (if somebody else can do it, so can I) in VA

David Fried
04-06-2006, 10:21 PM
Lets see ... the things I have accumulated for pen turning:

Pen Blanks
Pen Kits
Bushings
Mandrels
Self Centering Vise
Drill Bit(s)
Barrel Trimmer
Chamfering tool
Tube Insertion Tool
Pen Vise
Glue
Sandpaper
Micro mesh sandpaper
Finish
Renaissance wax

Do you need all this stuff? No.

Pen Blanks - You can use scraps you have (5/8 - 1 inch square by 5-6 inches long) or buy them. You can buy wood, plastic, etc.. My Woodcraft has grab bags of blanks they make from the scraps from classes they teach. If you only want to try pen turning or just make a few, it might make sense to buy the pre-drilled blanks. Some of these, the plastic ones, are even round to start with!

Pen Kits - Pretty much a must! Seems each type of pen, Slimline, cigar, etc.. requires it's own set of bushings. This adds to the cost. If you are only going to turn a few it might make sense to get several of the same type. Most types come in gold, silver, black, and colors.

Bushings - See notes under pen kits.

Mandrels - Pretty much a must. The basic one is OK. The professional one is nice in that you can shorten up the mandrel which is handy when turning one piece pens. For your basic pens either will do.

Self centering vise - Pure luxury and I'm not sure it was money well spent. When drilling out the pen blanks with a drill press it makes it easy to do many, fast. Otherwise, a fence (piece of scrap or anything), a stop, and a clamp will do - just something to hold the blank steady and centered as you drill. If you buy pre-drilled blanks than this is not needed at all!

Drill Bit(s) - Many kits are 7mm and a 7mm bit is all you need. Once you start with some of the fancier kits then it seems like you need weird sizes and lettered bits. (Boy, have I got a collection!). Again, buy several of the same type of pen kits and should need one bit. Buy pre-drilled and you don't even need one!

Barrel Trimmer - This is a blade on a metal shaft. The shaft slides into the brass tube that has been glued in the blank. the blade trims the blank flush with the end of the tube. It also ensures that the end of the blank is perpendicular to the axis of the tube so the two pen halves will fit together snugly. Not expensive and works well with a drill press or the blank in a vise and a hand drill. Some folks with disk sanders or belt sanders with miter gauges use them instead. You'll need to trim the barrels somehow - it depends on the equipment you already have.

Chamfering tool - Pure luxury!! Don't buy one unless you plan on making tons of pens. It cleans up the ends of the brass tubes after you have glued them in the blanks and used the barrel trimmer. If also flares the inside of the tube slightly to make assembly easier. Not required by a country mile.

Tube Insertion Tool - Worst tool I have ever purchased. It is a tapered steel rod with a rubber coating on the handle end. The idea is the small tapered end slips into the brass tube to make inserting it, without gluing yourself to the blank, easy. It does make inserting the tube easy but when I withdraw the tool the tube comes out with it. Don't even consider this tool! If you think you want one, just use a sharp, pointy stick.

Pen Vise - You need to push the nib, caps, twist mechanisms, etc. together. A standard vise with wooden jaws works great. I didn't have one so I squeezed them together between one of my kitchen cabinets and the back of the drawer face - Not recommended!! I bought a pen vise. Only good for pens so try to avoid buying one. (Hope you have a vise)

Glue - You need to glue the tubes in. Seems most folks use crazy glue (CA). If you want to make the pen all in one day, use CA glue. I've switched to Gorilla glue but that needs to dry overnight. Your call.

Sandpaper - You need sandpaper to rough up the brass tubes (and remove residual oils) before gluing them in and to finish the wood portion of the pen. Avoid the black sandpaper - it can mess up light colored wood. I use 150 - 400 for finishing the pen.

Micro Mesh Sandpaper - Great stuff although a bit pricey. You can wash it and mine has lasted over a year. It's very, very fine sandpaper. Some folks use other things for finish sanding: steel wool, brown paper bags, jeans, t-shirts. This is optional.

Finish - You probably want a finish :rolleyes: Friction polish is easy. Other folks have mentioned their favorites. BLO/CA is popular. You're on your own here.

Renaissance wax - Applied to the entire pen, wood and metal pieces, after finishing and assembly. Seems nice but expensive. Unless you get real serious I wouldn't recommend it. Yes, I use it.

So, if you just want to turn a couple, as you state (famous last words, by the way) I would consider buying: pre-drilled blanks, a few of the same style pen kits, one set of bushings for that kit, and a basic mandrel. These are the pen making specific items.

The other supplies, if you don't already have them, are: a drill bit, glue, and sandpaper.

Hope this helps.

Richard Jones
04-07-2006, 5:23 AM
Dave,

Many thanks, I will print that one out and save it.

I'll take your advice and try some pre-drilled ones first, I think, just to see how everything is put together.

Appreciate the info, I know that took a lot of work.

Rich

David Fried
04-07-2006, 7:57 AM
Rich,

No problem.

Instructions for the Woodcraft kits is available on their web site, last time I checked, and our local store has them printed out, kept behind the counter - just ask!

Good Luck and post pictures!

Dennis Peacock
04-07-2006, 8:12 AM
Hey....let's ask Dave Fried......I bet he knows about pen turning. :p :D :D :D

Dave....EXCELLENT info there buddy.....you did GOOD!!!!! Proud of ya. :cool:

Lars Thomas
04-07-2006, 10:23 AM
Dave, that's a good pen primer. I'm sure a lot of folks will benefit from it. Thanks for putting it together. Lars

Richard Jones
04-08-2006, 1:13 PM
OK, I survived the Va. Beach Woodcraft (less than $100, a new record!!).

Pen mandrel, the "professional" kind, so I guess I'm now a pro..........

Bushings for the slim line...............

A few slimline kits.............

Drill bit..........

DVD's...................

I think I have everything else, including the Ren-Wax, so as soon as I get home tomorrow, I will take a whack at it...........

Will keep you posted, and thanks once again for all the help. The Woodcraft store wasn't overly helpful, so you guys carried the ball.........

Rich in VA

Scott Donley
04-08-2006, 1:49 PM
Congrats and good luck :) My only advice is to go ahead and order more kits now as it can become addictive quickly.A side note I have been ordering from woodturningz.com, been very helpful on the phone and good prices, not affiliated just like to pass on good service.
Have FUN!

Randy Meijer
04-09-2006, 3:56 AM
I'm very surprised that no one has mentioned a live center. Chances are the one that came with your lathe is a 30° center designed for use with wood. If so it will give you trouble when used in the end of a steel pen mandrel. You need to get a 60° live center. They are available from many sources. The best deal I have found is at www.littlemachineshop.com (http://www.littlemachineshop.com). Item #1189, IIRC, $12.95 plus shipping. Randy