PDA

View Full Version : Who makes the best resaw blades?

Dev Emch
04-06-2006, 3:50 PM
I have been using suffolk blades made from silicone steel. But I have seen other companies listed. I also saw two mentions of note about this Trimaster blade. So who makes the best resaw blades in your own humble opinions? Todd and Mark... why the trimaster and where do you guys go to find them?

tod evans
04-06-2006, 3:59 PM
dev, lennox makes the trimaster. i`ve only tried one blade from suffolk so far and it`s a demolition blade so i can`t comment on their regular resaw blades. trimaster blades are carbide tipped so be prepared for sticker shock! i noticed suffolk carries a carbide blade also that i`d be interested in hearing user comments on...02 tod

Jim Hinze
04-06-2006, 4:22 PM
Dev,

I've had great luck with the woodslicer from highland hardware, very smooth, very sharp. I have not had good luck with the timberwolf blades.

Olson's are ok.

I've never used the trimaster or a bi-metal blade.

I only hve a 14" bandsaw so I do all my resawing with a 1/2" 3-4 tpi blade.

I have been using suffolk blades made from silicone steel. But I have seen other companies listed. I also saw two mentions of note about this Trimaster blade. So who makes the best resaw blades in your own humble opinions? Todd and Mark... why the trimaster and where do you guys go to find them?

Chris Barton
04-06-2006, 4:40 PM
I use the Laguna's Resaw King which is a carbide tiped blade but, it runs about $100+ each.

Michael Ballent
04-06-2006, 5:04 PM
I do not own one but the carbide tipped blades cut amazingly clean. I saw the cut from a MM16 (tiny in your book ;) ) and it veneer looked like it came from TS cut. Very light sanding and you were ready to go :) If I had a bigger BS I would get one of these... but they are very pricey :(

Alan DuBoff
04-06-2006, 5:30 PM
I use the Laguna's Resaw King which is a carbide tiped blade but, it runs about $100+ each.Chris, where do you get those for $100? I thought they cost about $200-$250.

I've been planning to get the Woodslicer from Highland Hardware. Even though it's not as wide as my saw will take, Mike Wenzloff speaks highly of it and said the cut is pretty close to the Resaw King.

It seemed to me the price of the Resaw King was higher though, it could be worth consider if the price was that much less than I thought, especially if they have a 1 1/2" blade.

I just got my bandsaw recentely, and haven't done too much cutting on it yet, but was able to cut a 1/16" slice from a 3" wide piece of purple heart.

Dev Emch
04-06-2006, 5:34 PM
dev, lennox makes the trimaster. i`ve only tried one blade from suffolk so far and it`s a demolition blade so i can`t comment on their regular resaw blades. trimaster blades are carbide tipped so be prepared for sticker shock! i noticed suffolk carries a carbide blade also that i`d be interested in hearing user comments on...02 tod

So who sells the lennox trimaster blades?

tod evans
04-06-2006, 5:35 PM
i get `em from minimax..

Andy London
04-06-2006, 5:39 PM
I've tried a lot of blades over the years from the Woodslicer to the Timberwolf as I resaw exotics and figured woods almost daily. One of the suppliers of my exotics recommended Hakansson blades a couple years ago and I have yet to use any blade that will match their quality and they are less than Timberwolf to boot.

Chris Barton
04-06-2006, 5:52 PM
Chris, where do you get those for $100? I thought they cost about $200-$250.

I buy mine from Laguna.

Mike Wenzloff
04-06-2006, 6:04 PM
Hi Chris,

The last ResawKing for my Jet 18" was somewhere north of $165. 133" length.

Dev,

The Lennox Trimaster are simply very good blades. I would rate them higher than the Laguna ResawKing both in quality of cut and longevity.

But, the reason I use the WoodSlicers most is that I can use 6-7 of them up before I arrive at the cost of the others. Aside form how well they cut and the finished surface left behind [very good] they are quite cutting. Their hype about the lower decibel is pretty correct.

Take care, Mike

Dev Emch
04-06-2006, 6:12 PM
I've tried a lot of blades over the years from the Woodslicer to the Timberwolf as I resaw exotics and figured woods almost daily. One of the suppliers of my exotics recommended Hakansson blades a couple years ago and I have yet to use any blade that will match their quality and they are less than Timberwolf to boot.

So who sells the Hakansson blades?

Chris Barton
04-06-2006, 6:14 PM
Hi Chris,

The last ResawKing for my Jet 18" was somewhere north of $165. 133" length.

Thanks for making a more accurate post on the price Mike, I knew it was more than a "C-note" that's why I said $100+. When things cost more than $100 I just close my eyes and sign the check:D .

Mike Wenzloff
04-06-2006, 6:40 PM
Google is your friend, Dev:

http://martinmetsupply.com/Saw%20Blades.htm

was the first hit.

Take care, Mike

Mike Wenzloff
04-06-2006, 6:50 PM
Yes, and I just checked. ~$198 for the 133". Looking at a past invoice, I paid $187.

But they are advertising 20% off the ResawKing right now...The Lennox are similar.

Take care, Mike

Michael Ballent
04-06-2006, 6:53 PM
The Hakansson Home page is http://www.hakansaw.com/

Andy, which blade are you using? I could not tell which one to select :)

lou sansone
04-06-2006, 8:01 PM
Yes, and I just checked. ~$198 for the 133". Looking at a past invoice, I paid $187.

But they are advertising 20% off the ResawKing right now...The Lennox are similar.

Take care, Mike

well I guess my 232" blade would be pretty pricey - fortunatly I was able to find a new lenox carbide tiped blade for about 25 bucks on ebay. It cut ok, but I would have been quite disapointed if I had spent something like 400 on a single blade
lou

Andy London
04-06-2006, 8:02 PM

Only Hakansson, Their Canadian warehouse is located here in Halifax, massive operation, I believe they also have one somewhere in the New England states, send me a PM as to what you are looking for and I will get you a price, I get them wholesale through my business.

Andy London
04-06-2006, 8:06 PM
The Hakansson Home page is http://www.hakansaw.com/

Andy, which blade are you using? I could not tell which one to select :)
I use the Silco line, it can be confusing as they have so many. What I did was ask my exotic supplier what they use and went with them. I think my cost CDN $$ is around $17.00 and I am here to tell ya these things last like you would not believe. Even is cutting blanks for the young fellows turnings.

Richard Wolf
04-06-2006, 8:16 PM
I use the Resaw King on my MM20. The 1 1/4 sells for $1.50 per inch, that comes to $250.00. The real problem is If you have nothing to compare it to, you never really know how good it is?

Richard

Mike Cutler
04-06-2006, 8:27 PM
Dev. My plug is for the Lennox Tri Master 2-3 vari pitch blade. I use a 1" blade on my Rikon, but don't you have a 36" Oliver, or is it a Yates? I'm not sure my choice would be your best choice. There is a lot of difference between saws
The TriMaster is a very nice blade. It is a bit pricey though. Lennox also has the Bi-Metal blade in the same tooth configuration. It's about 1/3 the cost of a Tri Master, but if you are going to resaw, and then plane or sand for a final finish, you may not need a blade the quality of a TRi Master, and the Bi-Metal may suffice

Mark Singer
04-06-2006, 9:21 PM
The Lennox trimaster is it! I think Starrett has a very similar blade. Another good one for less money is the Lenox Bimetal

Alan DuBoff
04-07-2006, 3:23 AM
The last ResawKing for my Jet 18" was somewhere north of $165. 133" length.Mike, I'm looking on the site right now, and the 1 1/4" ResawKing is $1.50/in, so for my Jet 18x (137", they added the extra in cutting height I think, from the prior model) is about $205.

But, the reason I use the WoodSlicers most is that I can use 6-7 of them up before I arrive at the cost of the others. Aside form how well they cut and the finished surface left behind [very good] they are quite cutting. Their hype about the lower decibel is pretty correct.The reason I'm gonna order a WoodSlicer is that you reccomend it!;)

I figure if you can't trust a saw maker in regards to a saw blade, who can you trust? :D

Charles Bruno
04-07-2006, 8:46 AM
Dev,
I have a 14" bandsaw and I am using an Olsen 5/8" 4 tooth blade for resawing. It has worked good for me so far.
I asked about Timberwolf blades at my local Rockler and are they that much better than the Olsen blades that Rockler sells. Two Rockler reps and a cupple of other customers told me Timberwolf blades are way better. I'll buy a set of them when I get a round to buying the 6" riser for my band saw.
I understand that the carbide tipped blades don't do well on the smaller saws like the 14" to 16" saws.

Charles McKinley
04-07-2006, 11:44 AM
Hi Dev,

I buy my blades from a local saw shop that welds the blades up right there.

Here is the link to contact Lenox to find a dealer near you.
http://www.lenoxsaw.com/contactus.html

Rick LoDico
04-07-2006, 3:35 PM
I've pretty much swiched over exclusively to Lenox blades. I've been using a bi-metal and just took delivery of a trimaster carbide for my 18" Bridgewood BS from Louis Iturra that cost 160.00 delivered. I resawed a 7/8 thick X 36" L piece of ebony in half without leaving a sawmark. Amazing.

Mike Palmer
04-07-2006, 5:27 PM
Go to Carbide.com they carry lennox blades all types.