PDA

View Full Version : Things that I've learned in the last 48 hours........

Ken Fitzgerald
04-06-2006, 12:51 PM
1. Bill Grumbine's video and technique works well for me! Using a standard grind on my bowl gouge gave me more catches and resulted in more wood removed by the catches than in intended areas. Putting a Irish/Ellsworth/side grind resulted in just what Bill demonstrates in his video!

2. As Bill demonstrates in his video once you get your bowl gouge started you can run that cut all the way to the bottom of even a deep sided - steep sided bowl and it is a very quick method of removing unwanted material...if you gouge is sharp. Though I didn't really remove my front hand, once a cut is started using Bill's method, you require little or no effort on that front hand to follow the cut even in dry wood.

3. I just glued up my first bowl blank of dried wood and turned it.....the wall had a last minute failure but that was due to the structure of the wood........something I might have prevented if I'd been less jubilant in my progress and had payed a little more attention to the wood during the finishing process..........then again.........?

4. Turning dried wood dulls your tools quicker but a very light pass on the grinder can return them to optimal condition.

5. I have a lot to learn about form when turning bowls.

6. I have a lot to learn about the DNA method of drying wood. My cherry bowl came out of the bath last night and has some serious cracks running with the grain. The blank this bowl came from had some serious cracks before I started..........so maybe I was just wasting my time anyway?

7. I want to turn some more bowls.............

8. I need a bigger lathe......................

9. I need to get my shop finished first!

10. The LOML is going to kill me.........luckily other than Andy, John Hart and John M.........there's no records of who contributed for the 1st lathe......Those three might be secondary targets after she deals with me.........:eek: :rolleyes: :D

Andy Hoyt
04-06-2006, 12:55 PM
Hey! If she kills you and leaves me to rot can I have your lathe? Come to think of it, I even have the receipt.:D

John Miliunas
04-06-2006, 1:05 PM
Hey! If she kills you and leaves me to rot can I have your lathe? Come to think of it, I even have the receipt.:D

Hey, wait a minute now...I could use a secondary chuck myself!!! :D

Ken, just spin a bowl or two for her every week and you'll be good to go. :) Then, as Christmas approaches, start making some pens, potpouri thingies, oil lamps, etc... for gifts and you'll score some more points. :D Besides, Andy just wants the little guy 'cuz the color matches his big dog! :D :cool:

Dennis Peacock
04-06-2006, 1:09 PM
Ken,

After I save up some more money, I'll be glad to ship you some Silve Poplar to turn. It's WET and turns very nicely. It's forgiving and finishes very nicely.

Ken Fitzgerald
04-06-2006, 1:29 PM
In all sincerity folks............I came in from the shop last night at 11:00 with that bowl....excited it turned out as good as it did......disappointed the piece that flew out while finishing it...........The LOML....was in bed ...not yet asleep........I stepped into the bedroom...covered with shavings......froth off the Beal buffing system.....I asked her if she was awake...."Yes" "Would you like to see my first bowl....and divot?"....."Yes ...turn on the light".....she has it sitting on the oak sideboard in the dining room with my other "firsts".........This morning she told me she was so happy that I'd found something I enjoy doing so much! She and I both agree the passion I've found for turning is probably a main reason I've managed to stay off the cigarettes for 3 months now.......I've developed the passion for turning....now if I could just develop the talent!:rolleyes: :D

Raymond Overman
04-06-2006, 1:37 PM
2. As Bill demonstrates in his video once you get your bowl gouge started you can run that cut all the way to the bottom of even a deep sided - steep sided bowl and it is a very quick method of removing unwanted material...if you gouge is sharp. Though I didn't really remove my front hand, once a cut is started using Bill's method, you require little or no effort on that front hand to follow the cut even in dry wood.

Ken,

You're way ahead of the curve if you can practice what you're preaching in your second statement. Just like in golf, bowl turning should be effortless effort when using your bowl gouge.

A quick tip on the sharpening, a $6 Fine stone on a little plastic handle from your favorite woodworking store or catalog can save you a trip to the grinder. You can "touch up" your grind with the stone a couple of times between the trips to the grinder and save some time and metal.

Good luck convincing SWMBO to agree to a new lathe! Are you Mustard Yellow or White?

Ken Fitzgerald
04-06-2006, 1:43 PM
Raymond.........it was really was that effortless.......I have a small stone ......I wish I could remember the technical name.....kind of wedge shaped....rounded on the edges.....6" long......I use for touching up the gouge.........

Steve Hayes
04-06-2006, 2:34 PM
Ken,
I'm a newbie to this spinning, round lathe thingy myself. The last time I turned was in high school. I'm a flatwork person. The thing I've learned most take your time, read the posts here and practice. I wish someone had a image of the proper tools and positioning of the for the different projects, bowls plates etc, etc. I have one of Raffins videos and it has really helped. But some of the camera angles make it difficult to see the rest and tool position. I have a cheapee $279.00 HF lathe that I found on sale for $199.00 that I am having a blast with. It's my first lathe and I am learning a lot with it.

Ken Fitzgerald
04-06-2006, 2:47 PM
Steve.....I have 2 of Raffan's videos.....Turning Wood and Turning boxes....It was great for spindle turning and basic learning.

Bill G's..Turned Bowls Made Easy......While it touches on cutting bowl blanks, sharpening etc.....He does demonstrate flute/gouge position and angle...height.....I was surprised....I used the exact method to make the initial cuts on the inside of the bowl.....A sweeping motion.....this was in kiln dried maple.....The cuts were really easy....As he demonstrated sometimes the most difficult time was getting the initial cut started when making the inside of the bowl. Once the cut was started it was remarkably easy.....Just ride the bevel......you really didn't need the hand holding the tool on the rest.....It truly was remarkable!

I was addicted to smoking.....I think turning could end up a more expensive but healthier addiction!

BTW....I'm not connected to Bill Grumbine or his video other than being a satisfied customer!

Jim Stoppleworth
04-06-2006, 3:03 PM
In all sincerity folks....I've developed the passion for turning....now if I could just develop the talent!:rolleyes: :D

Me too Ken. LOML has all my firsts on various shelves around the house, too.

Jim

Steve Ash
04-06-2006, 3:47 PM
....she has it sitting on the oak sideboard in the dining room with my other "firsts".........This morning she told me she was so happy that I'd found something I enjoy doing so much! She and I both agree the passion I've found for turning is probably a main reason I've managed to stay off the cigarettes for 3 months now.......

Looks like a lot of pluses to your turning addiction the way I see it...good for you!

Curt Fuller
04-06-2006, 4:50 PM
.......I've developed the passion for turning....now if I could just develop the talent!:rolleyes: :D

I'd say you already are.

Jim Davenport
04-06-2006, 5:13 PM
I've developed the passion for turning....now if I could just develop the talent!:rolleyes: :D
So far the biggest talent I've developed is chasing my wayward bowl accross the shop.:eek:
Still a lot to learn about chucks, bowl gouges, and stuff like that. But boy I'm developing a love for turning. Should have bought a good lathe a long time ago.

Bernie Weishapl
04-06-2006, 5:27 PM
Ken you've done well. I truly believe you have the passion to be a excellent turner. You should be proud of no smoking for 3 months. Keep plugging my friend and it will come. Maybe one of these days we will both become talented!!!:eek: :p

Now you never answered the question from Raymond. Inquiring minds want to know is your big lathe going to be Mustard or Mayo???:cool:

Ken Fitzgerald
04-06-2006, 6:24 PM
I broached the subject with SWMBO today..........For sometime it doesn't matter whether I like Mustard or White!:D

Bernie Weishapl
04-06-2006, 6:33 PM
Musta not went to bad you are still posting!:eek: :p

Ken Fitzgerald
04-06-2006, 6:35 PM
You're right Bernie.....You can type surprisingly well using a pencil in your mouth.....it's just slower..........you use a little more forthought before typing or opening your mouth........

Joe Mioux
04-06-2006, 9:27 PM
She and I both agree the passion I've found for turning is probably a main reason I've managed to stay off the cigarettes for 3 months now.......I've developed the passion for turning....now if I could just develop the talent!:rolleyes: :D

Hey Ken:

Which "addiction" is cheaper?;) Congrats on being smoke free!

You really got this turning bug bad, don't you?!

again congrats on the three months.
Joe