PDA

View Full Version : Another Festool gloat!

John Miliunas
08-18-2003, 11:57 PM
After my most excellent experience with Festool and our very own Festool rep, Bob Marino, I decided to dig a bit deeper and order the jigsaw. Received it today and, even though I didn't have a whole lot of time to put it through its paces, for what little I did do, it works GREAT! The order came undamaged and complete. The system case it comes in is well designed, as it was with the sander. Setup is reading through the instruction booklet, snapping in the dust collection port, installing a blade and one of their chip guards (a zero clearance insert). Finishing other projects, precluded spending a whole lot of time with it, but I did try it on a thick (@2") chunk of Hard Maple. I purposely chose this chunk of Maple due to its thickness. Granted, I may not have ever had a "high quality" jigsaw, but with any I've ever used, I found that the "walls" of the piece just cut were not a perfect 90* to the surface. Actually, not even close to that! Lots of time had to be spent after the cut cleaning and squaring it back up. NOT with this rig!

You first notice quite a bit of heft to the unit. I wouldn't want to do a whole lot of cutting on anything but a flat, horizontal surface, due to this, but that same fact, I believe, attributes itself to helping make a nice clean cut. After the cut, I pulled out my little engineers square and did a more "scientific" observation. I am here to say that the "walls" of the cut are square to either surface! Not just "kinda' square", but SQUARE! Don't know if chip-out would've been an issue with a chunk like this, but the cut on the surface was clean, as well.

Bottom line: One sweet saw made by a World Class outfit and sold (to me) by one class act of a rep, that being Bob Marino, of course. (Starting to sound like a big plug for both, ain't it?) I guess you might say it is, though I have nothing to gain from it. Just real happy with my tools and the rep handling the transaction! So, if any of you folks are in the market for a super-nice jigsaw, check out the Festool. I don't hesitate for one second in recommending it! :cool:

Lloyd Robins
08-19-2003, 2:34 AM
Congratulations! It sounds like a wonderful machine. I was hoping to receive my Festool order today, but I guess that I will have to wait until tomorrow. Enjoy your jigsaw and let us know how it works as you use it more.

markus shaffer
08-19-2003, 12:09 PM
As with John, I would highly recommend anything made by Festool. I have the circular saw, router and the rotex sander. All are unbelievably good tools. I wish Festool would make a sliding compound miter saw.(hint hint) I've resigned myself to the fact that my Dewalt is just never going to stay square.

-markus

Lloyd Robins
08-19-2003, 8:54 PM
Hi! I forgot to ask earlier, but did you get a barrel grip or a D-handle? I had the impression that they only had the barrel grip in the USA, but I just got a brochure showing both. Anyway, I am just curious. Thanks.

John Miliunas
08-19-2003, 10:02 PM
Hi! I forgot to ask earlier, but did you get a barrel grip or a D-handle? I had the impression that they only had the barrel grip in the USA, but I just got a brochure showing both. Anyway, I am just curious. Thanks.

Lloyd, any of my previous jigsaws have always been the D-handle. I figured that I might get a bit better control with the barrel grip, hence that's what I ordered. I'm thinking I was right, too! For me, at least, it does feel more comfy and I think I can follow my cut line better. You're right, though, they offer either. :cool:

Jim Becker
08-19-2003, 10:07 PM
...any of my previous jigsaws have always been the D-handle. I figured that I might get a bit better control with the barrel grip, hence that's what I ordered. I'm thinking I was right, too! For me, at least, it does feel more comfy and I think I can follow my cut line better.

I suppose that I'll have to try the barrel grip when I get together with Mr. Marino in the very recent future...it's only money. :D

John Miliunas
08-19-2003, 10:34 PM
..... Mr. Marino in the very recent future...it's only money. :D

"Mr." Marino???!!! Sheeeesh, the guy's good, but "Mr."???? (just kiddin'! Bob's the best!) :cool: