PDA

View Full Version : From Bowl to Funnel Back to Bowl

Glenn Hodges
04-06-2006, 12:19 PM
I told someone the other day that I still went through the bottom sometime. I have this 16 inchs wide X 6.25 inches high swamp chestnut bowl that was planted by a Confederate Soldier in the yard of the family home upon his return from the War. The old tree was the second largest swamp chestnut tree in Georgia and in sad shape because of age and disease. In 2003 Hurricane Jeanne blew this tired old trojan down, and the family asked me to make them some bowls from it. I could only work with the limbs, and this is one of the bowls. I hated loosing the bowl so I tried to save it. Look for the epoxy figure in the bottom of the oak bowl and I am including a picture of the bottom. My wife likes it, but she is biased. Let me know if you think the customers will go for it or not. Thanks for your help. BTW I almost forgot, it is finished in Deft spray lacquer, and buffed.

Don Baer
04-06-2006, 12:21 PM
Nice save and another buitiful bowl.

Chris Barton
04-06-2006, 12:21 PM
Glenn,

What a great idea! I have seen Richard Raffin do the same sort of thing but, I like yours better. What a great bowl and great history behind it.

Chris Barton
04-06-2006, 12:26 PM
Glenn,

How are you doing the lettering on the bottom of your bowl? It looks very well done and I have been using a woodburning pen but, it is never that neat.

Bernie Weishapl
04-06-2006, 12:27 PM
I like the idea Glenn. Nice save on a piece of history. Bowl looks great to me.

Ken Fitzgerald
04-06-2006, 12:30 PM
Excellent bowl...unique history and great recovery! I'll have to remember that in the future!

Glenn Hodges
04-06-2006, 12:31 PM
Chris, I use an 05 size archival pen to write this info and sign the bottom of my bowls. I find them at art stores, Walmart, and craft stores. Thanks for your favorable comments everyone.

Andy Hoyt
04-06-2006, 12:52 PM
Nice piece as always, Glenn. The epoxy is somehow symbolic of the black hole in the heart of this country's heritage. Well done!

doug webb
04-06-2006, 1:01 PM
Love the bowl. Your epoxy looks like an acorn to me in the third picture. Keep them coming......

Dennis Peacock
04-06-2006, 1:05 PM
Excellent save Glenn. Very nice and I like to details in the bottom. :D

John Miliunas
04-06-2006, 1:13 PM
What "save"???? Looks like a design feature to me, and well done at that!:) :cool:

Keith Burns
04-06-2006, 1:42 PM
Very well done Glenn. The problem with the bottom was nothing more than a design opportunity and you did a great job with it. Like Doug said, it looks kike an acorn on the inside. Great form and finish:) :)

Ed Scolforo
04-06-2006, 4:13 PM
I love the form on that bowl, Glenn. The wood is so warm. Great save!
Ed

Curt Fuller
04-06-2006, 4:37 PM
Beautiful bowl and I think the save actually adds to it. I'm not familiar with 'swamp chestnut' but later in your description you refer to it as 'oak'. Is swamp chestnut some type of oak? That's a great history behind the wood and that will be an heirloom for the family.

Jim Davenport
04-06-2006, 5:16 PM
The story behind the bowl is as inspiring as the bowl is beautiful.

Bruce Shiverdecker
04-06-2006, 5:19 PM
Don't see anything NOT to like. If they balk...................Send it to me.

Bruce

Glenn Hodges
04-06-2006, 6:18 PM
Curt, yes these are oaks but they are not indiginous to our area. The chestnut part of the name comes from the very large acorn it produces. I know my gggranddaddy picked up these large acorns like this fellow did on his way back from Virginia. My gggranddaddy planted his on a creek where he built his blacksmith shop and gristmill after the War. These giant trees provided good shade, but are about dead now. I was able to get some saplings from that tree and plant by my blacksmith shop on my farm. And for all of you that read the above I tried to make the self imposed void look like an acorn. I am glad a few of you recognized it in the bottom of the bowl. Thanks again everyone.

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
04-06-2006, 7:37 PM
Yep Glenn that is a keeper!!

Frank Chaffee
04-06-2006, 9:29 PM
Glenn,
That great tree was honored to be worked by your skilled hand, I’m sure.
Truly wonderful!
Frank

Ernie Nyvall
04-06-2006, 9:39 PM
I like the acorn in the bottom Glenn. Nice bowl.

Ernie

Corey Hallagan
04-06-2006, 9:50 PM
Nice save Glen, that is just fantastic! Awesome looking bowl!

Corey

Jim Dunn
04-06-2006, 10:15 PM
Just beautiful Glen. I'd like to know why the limbs were the only thing turnable?

Mark Cothren
04-06-2006, 11:27 PM
Man Glenn, that is FAN TAS TIC! A great save! Excellent!

Thanks for the pictures!

Travis Stinson
04-06-2006, 11:46 PM
Great story behind the bowl Glenn. It's a beauty. Great job!:cool:

Glenn Hodges
04-07-2006, 3:57 AM
Jim, the massive trunk of the tree was ravaged with decay and disease, and the hurricane split the trunk. This tree was one big mess in this yard with all these big limbs which are almost as long and as large in diameter as a lot of hardwood trees. Tommy V. said he was responsible for the disease getting into the tree because when he was young he and his brother threw tomahawks at the tree for fun. My 32 inch Husky would have had a difficuld time with this tree. I bet the trunk was almost 6 feet or better in diameter, remember it was the 2nd largest of this species in Georgia. Tommy and his family were so thankful it did not fall on the old family home. BTW his gggranddaddy and mine served in the same outfit, and walked all the way home from Virginia. Mine was wounded in the knee so he had a rough time. You hate to see these stately old giants fall.