PDA

View Full Version : Another bowl from the new Rikon.

Jim Davenport
04-06-2006, 11:46 AM
Boy I love this lathe!!:D
This is "Ambrosia Maple". Like several other of my projects, it ended up smaller than originally planned. I did the outside fine with the bowl gouge. I started hollowing out the interior. I was goung to town, real proud of my self. Then "WHAM!!!" the gouge caught, and the bowl went flying accross the bench. :eek:
The Gods of turning were watching over me. There was still enough of a post left in the middle of the interior, that I could make a tenon to chuck up. I was able to turn a new foot for the chuck to grip.
One good thing, when I re-turned the outside, I cut away most of the holes.
The base didn't come out as good as I would like. I stuffed a rag in the bowl, and supported the base with the center. I was to lazy to make a Jam fit chuck.:rolleyes:
I did just order a set of Oneway Jumbo jaws though.
I sanded it with 320.
Here's some pictures. I haven't finished it yet.
I have some "Behlen salad bowl finish" left over from a cutting board project.
Do you'all think it will bring out the beautiful grain of the ambrosia maple, or would there be a better finish?

Ken Fitzgerald
04-06-2006, 11:48 AM
Jim..........nice bowl! I like the figure in that wood! I'm sure some of the more experienced turners will give you the proper advice for finishing that bowl.

John Hart
04-06-2006, 11:53 AM
Thats gonna be striking when you get the finish on it....Heck, it already is!!!
I like using cut clear shellac with a little oil. Seems like any of the amber finishes steal the subtle colors from the maple. But that's just me. And for the record, I've never seen Behlens Salad Bowl finish.;)

Bernie Weishapl
04-06-2006, 11:58 AM
Jim beautiful bowl. Great work.

Don Baer
04-06-2006, 12:17 PM
Jim,
Great job on the bowl. Your making me want to play hookey from work and do some turning..:rolleyes:

Ron Ainge
04-06-2006, 12:22 PM
the finish that you will put on that bowl(by the way i like the figure in it) is dependent on what you plan to use it for. If you want to displeay it you may want to put a real nice shinney finish on it but if you are going to use for a salad bowl then I would use a oil finish and the one you have would work great for that.

John Miliunas
04-06-2006, 1:58 PM
Dang it, Jim, you're just going to town with that little Rikon, ain't 'ya?! :D Nice job! :) I'll go in with Ron on choice of finishes. Really depends on final use. :) :cool:

Keith Burns
04-06-2006, 2:31 PM
Jim, you did a nice job on this one, has a good form and when you get the finish on it, it will be a winner for sure.:)

Ernie Nyvall
04-06-2006, 8:48 PM
Nice job Jim. You gonna post finish pics aren'tcha?

Ernie

Jim Dunn
04-06-2006, 10:27 PM
Thatsa nicea bowl, for salad and pasta:) (My apologies for any political in-correctness I may have subtly stumbled at)

Mark Cothren
04-06-2006, 10:39 PM
Nice bowl, Jim! Love that AM!!! Looks like you got the new lathe cookin'!!!

Thanks for the pictures!

Gary DeWitt
04-06-2006, 11:11 PM
Nice bowl, and good save. I agree with Ron as to finish. Any oil will bring out the grain very well, but vegetable oils get rancid, mineral oil never dries altho it's food safe. You might also consider walnut oil if you are going to eat out of it. Mike Mahony (do a google search) makes a "boiled" walnut oil that actually hardens in the wood, and also is of course food safe. My daughter swears by it.

Disclaimer: I am in no way financially connected with Mike Mahoney or his products.

Corey Hallagan
04-06-2006, 11:13 PM
Excellent job Jim! That is one great looking bowl. I love the ambrosia maple!

Corey

Bruce Shiverdecker
04-07-2006, 12:02 AM
Great lookin' bowl.

Keep feedin' the GREEN! They are VERY averous feeders.

Bruce;)