PDA

View Full Version : Beginner Question About Wood Preparation

Jon Farley
04-06-2006, 10:32 AM
I don't even own a lathe yet, but it looks as though one will be in my shop at some point later this spring. Anyway, since I've gained interest in turning, I'm starting to look at wood in a whole new light. We own some wooded acreage and I cut a lot of firewood in the summer, but this year I will be looking at potential firewood with a eye out for pieces that might make for interesting turning projects. My question is this, If I find a piece of wood and I cut it up into something like a bowl blank, what exactly do I do next in order to properly prepare it for storage?

tod evans
04-06-2006, 10:40 AM
jon, there`s quite a few modern solutions that work well, but P.E.G. and parafin wax have been used for quite a long time....02 tod

Bernie Weishapl
04-06-2006, 11:35 AM
Jon the first thing I would do is get Bill Grumbine's video. He shows you how to cut the wood for bowl blanks. Raffan's video on box making shows you how to cut box blanks. The main thing is to make sure if you are storing it, is to cut it so as to remove the pith. What size you cut the wood will also depend on the size of lathe you buy. Then seal the end grain with anchorseal, green seal, or as I do I use up my old latex paint. I paint the end grain with 2 coats of paint and it works quite well. If you don't remove the pith the wood will crack and split.

Pat Salter
04-06-2006, 7:18 PM
another thing to concider is if you want to make natural edge pieces. If so, cut your tree in the winter. the bark will be tighter and less likely to come off as or after you turn a piece.