PDA

View Full Version : Reconditioned Power Tools??

Dennis Peacock
02-21-2003, 8:25 PM
In an attempt to save money and since my PC333 ROS died hard last night, I found the new PC333VS sander at Toolking for $62 factory reconditioned. What is your overall standings and opinions of purchasing factory reconditioned power tools? I am also considering the DW621 router that is also reconditioned that I found at the same site for $165. Is the savings worth the risk or is there any real risk with reconditioned tools?

Thanks,
Dennis - :confused:

I haven't lost my mind....it's backed up on tape somewhere.....

Phil Phelps
02-21-2003, 8:53 PM
...new ones, that is. Long ago I took a tool in for repair at Porter-Cable. They sold recon tools with the same warranty as a new one. Some of these tools come from wood shows. Some are brand new and at a 15 to 25% discount. I've bought compressors, drills, routers, man you name it. And with a new, factory warranty, I do quite well. I'm on board, Dennis. :)

Ted Shrader
02-21-2003, 9:23 PM
Dennis -

The last sander I bought was a reconditioned one. Aside from the "R" melted into the case beside the Model #, I couldn't tell the difference. Except for the price.

Ted

JayStPeter
02-21-2003, 9:32 PM
I bought a Ridgid planer and an M12V, both reconditioned and both great.

Jay St. Peter

Walt Quadrato
02-21-2003, 10:03 PM
I bought a factory reconditioned Delta 2 speed planer from them and I have no complaints..had it for over a year now..works beautifully. also picked up a recon round head framing nailer (PC) that's served me well through 40 feet of fencing and a kit gazebo. I guess it's like everything in life sometimes it's good and sometimes you get lemons..true for new, used and reconditions..

Ed Beers
02-22-2003, 2:28 AM
When I was younger and dumber, I bought a "reconditioned" circular saw at sears just because it was there, cheap, and I figured I would use it one day, my first power tool. Months later, I bought a blade and went to cut up a sheet of plywood. The saw ran slowly and made a horrible noise when I let off the power. Subsequent disassembly showed it was full of concrete dust and most of the bearings were shot... Naturally the receipt was long gone.

These days, there are plenty of stores that offer very liberal return policies. I think the main source of "reconditioned" tools is open box returns, many (perhaps most) of which have nothing to do with tool failures. You need to keep your eyes open though.

Ed

Mike Tubbs
02-22-2003, 7:51 AM
Good morning Dennis,

As Phil P. said, re-con tools are just fine. I have a 15" planer, 20' drill press, nail guns, routers. You name it. Never a minutes trouble. The ones we get here carry a 90 day warranty.

Tubby

Dan Barber
02-22-2003, 8:18 AM
Dennis,

Here in the Nashville area we have a Jet scratch and dent dealer, a DeWalt factory service center, a Makita factory Service center and we used to have a PC factory service center.

Withe the exception of my DeWalt 708 SCMS (which I got for $340 brand new) just about every tool I have purchased in the last 5 years has been a reconditioned unit. So far I have had no problems with any of them. As has been said by others, a good share of them are open-box returns and some have never been used.

I'd say if you can hold them in your hand to see how they look before buying them, you probably can't go to far wrong.

Dan

Kevin Gerstenecker
02-22-2003, 8:31 AM
I have a friend who is a Factory Representative for a Big Name Tool Manufacturing Company. We have discussed the subject of "Reconditioned" Power Tools many times. You guys are right about the open box returns, many are just that. Most manufacturers also sell the previous years model as Factory Reconditioned, due to warranty and legal mumbo-jumbo that is too complicated for anyone to understand. His opinion is that they are very good value for the money, and I agree. He has been able to supply me with several tools at prices just too good to believe, and I swear these products had never been used.......no signs of wear, dust or anything? He also contends that some recon'd tools are better than new, due to the fact that if they were returned with a defect, they were gone thru by a technician from top to bottom, which is much different treatment than a tool that just comes off the line, is boxed and shipped. Most of these reconditioned tools carry the same warranty as new, so why not save a few bucks and go with them. I would say that it depends on the Manufacturer of the item, whether to go the Recon'd route.....................some Cheapo tools are not worth the money from the start, and buying them reconditioned makes even less fiscal sense. I guess in some instances, the old adage applies........you get what you pay for!

W.C. Turner
02-22-2003, 11:50 AM
Dennis,

I've purchased recons before and been pleased. If I had it to do over again, I'd buy all recon. After all, recons have been gone over with a human, rather than directly off a line. As good as new and cheaper too!!

Dennis Peacock
02-22-2003, 12:19 PM
Recon it is and I would really like to save all I can at this time. I will post my results after getting the tools.....

Dennis - :D

Kent Cori
02-22-2003, 10:59 PM
I too have several reconditioned tools. They are always my first thought since I like to save money where I can and I haven't had a bad experience yet.

Denny Etter
02-23-2003, 8:33 AM
Jay where did you find the M12V reconditioned. I disassembeled mine to put it in a router table and would like to have one for use without taking mine out of the table but don't want to pay full price if I don't have to. Was it a place that would ship?

I have been buying everything I can find reconditioned especially from DeWalt and have been extremely satisfied.

Thanks

Denny Etter

JayStPeter
02-23-2003, 10:38 AM
Danny,

Got mine off ebay. But, tool crib has them recon for around $150 every so often. You have to look at the catalogs though, they usually don't deal them online.
If you just watch ebay for a while, they will show up. It took me about 3 months to get a good deal on one though. People bid them up until they cost more than new after shipping.
Mine has also been modded for table use only.

Jay St. Peter

Mike Mastin
02-23-2003, 11:52 PM
I have a number of Dewalt power tools and everyone of them is a recon. No problems after using them hard to build the Garage Mahal and other assorted housework. I say save the bucks and build something with the cash savings!

Rich Pearson
02-24-2003, 12:10 AM
"Buy it now" price. try this link

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2309487426&category=20781

recon...90 day warrantee and $20 shipping