PDA

View Full Version : New Rikon lathe, some comments & a question

Jim Davenport
04-05-2006, 9:27 PM
Now that I've done a bit of turning on the new Rikon, I have some comments I'd like to share.
I really like this lathe. It's sooo much smoother than my old shopsmith. I checked all the screws on the pulleys etc, everything was tight.
The lathe seems to have more than enough power for it size. I really like ths slow speed of 430. I've rough turned 3" and 6" bowls, it's very steady. From previous experience, I bought a Jet Plastic washer to go between the Chuck and the spindle. This keeps the chuck from freezing on the shaft.
With sharp tools it is very smooth, I was really impressed with the stream of chips coming off of the bowl gouge.
It's kind of "Nitpicky", but changing speeds with the belt is kinda klunky. Maybe it's just my old fat fingers, but I have a bit of difficulty moving the belt between pulley's.
So far that's the only fault I've found with the machine. I think I'm really going to enjoy it.
I found out my "El-cheapo" HF angle grinder with a twist-lock sanding disc on it works swell to remove the tearout I had on a soft area.
"SWMBO" Went to bingo, so it was just Dogzilla and me again. He came out to the Magic garage with his "Grandpa" and plopped down right in a pile of chips. Of course I had to brush him off, and vacuum the living room carpet before typing this.
Now my question is;
I'm turning a bowl out of a chunk of Ambrosia maple. When I turned down the outside, I discovered some bug holes. What is the best way to fill them?
Here's some photo's for the "PP"

Don Baer
04-05-2006, 9:33 PM
Jim,
I can't comment on the bug holes but I fouund that when I change belt speeds on my Rikon. It's easier to place the belt on the bottom pulley before the top pulley. So I don't have to put my Phat Phyngurs inside the casting of the lathe..:D

Frank Parker
04-05-2006, 9:36 PM
I usually don't fill them, I charge extra for them. When I do, I like to use epoxy mixed with dye, usually black but sometimes differant colors depending on if I want to hide them or accent them.
Frank

John Hart
04-05-2006, 9:48 PM
Because the holes are such an integral part of Ambrosia Maple, I just leave them alone. It's gonna be cool Jim!:)

Bruce Shiverdecker
04-05-2006, 9:53 PM
Sometimes I leave them alone and sometimes I clean them out, but NEVER NEVER do I fill them. That's what makes it an ART piece.................. it won't hold water.:p

I agree with John. It will be cool with all that wind blowin' through it.:cool: :D :D

The most expensive bowl I've sold looked like Swiss Cheese!

Bruce;)

Chris Barton
04-05-2006, 10:19 PM
I am with Bruce, Frank, and John! I never fill the holes and I turn a lot of AM. That is the "provenance" of the piece when you are turning AM. Celebrate the imperfections!

Andy Hoyt
04-05-2006, 10:56 PM
Jim - Without those holes present and when you put the finished piece to your ear, you'll never hear the sound of the wind blowing across the Ambrosian Sea.

Scott Donley
04-06-2006, 2:04 AM
Celebrate the imperfections!:D :D :D :D Works for me !

Jim Davenport
04-06-2006, 4:32 AM
Jim - Without those holes present and when you put the finished piece to your ear, you'll never hear the sound of the wind blowing across the Ambrosian Sea.
I hope the volume will be loud, I've spent too many years around machinery.:(

tod evans
04-06-2006, 8:21 AM
jim, it looks as if your buddy likes the shavings too..:)

Jim Davenport
04-06-2006, 10:00 AM
jim, it looks as if your buddy likes the shavings too..:)
Sometimes I think he'd lay down on a "bed of nails" to be close to me.;)

Paul Douglass
04-06-2006, 10:13 AM
Sometimes I think he'd lay down on a "bed of nails" to be close to me.;)

IS that a Mastiff? The gentle giants. They are great dogs! So you would recomment the Rikon?

Jim Davenport
04-06-2006, 11:10 AM
IS that a Mastiff? The gentle giants. They are great dogs! So you would recomment the Rikon?
He's an "English Mastiff", I kinda inherited from my youngest son.
I've only had the Rikon a couple of days. I would Have no problem recommending it based on my experiences so far. But remember, I'm a rookie turner.;)