PDA

View Full Version : Installing a face frame AFTER the vanity top is on

Rob Blaustein
04-05-2006, 8:56 PM
I imagine those of you who build a lot of cabinets and vanities tend to complete them before installing a counter top. Have any of you ever installed the face frame (not to mention drawers etc) after the counter top is installed? Would it pose much of a problem? I'm just about done assembling the pieces of my bathroom vanity but it will take me a little while to assemble and finish the face frame, and the stone fabricators are pretty much ready to install the top.

Steve Clardy
04-05-2006, 9:36 PM
Never done it that way. Might be a little tough gluing, clamping up the face frame with the vanity top on, sitting against the wall.

Jim DeLaney
04-05-2006, 10:00 PM
The face frame itself shouldn't take too long to build and install. You could always hold off and do the doors & drawer fronts later.

A bigger hassle migh be installing drawer slide hardware in an already installed cabinet, with the face frame already on it. Were it me, I'd try to get the whole cabinet finished and installed before you put the stone top on it. Any way you can stall the stone guys for a weeks or so?

Craig Feuerzeig
04-05-2006, 10:15 PM
Interesting technique. I dunno, might help with alignment?:rolleyes:

Rob Blaustein
04-05-2006, 10:19 PM
Never done it that way. Might be a little tough gluing, clamping up the face frame with the vanity top on, sitting against the wall.

A little tough is better than not do-able.

Rob Blaustein
04-05-2006, 10:23 PM
Any way you can stall the stone guys for a weeks or so?

Mybe a week or so but not much more. But getting time to work on this isn't easy (busy job, new baby...). This is the last step in a renovation and everyone's waiting for me--our contractor is waiting for the stone top so he can get the plumber over to finish up. I'm already past deadline here, so I may have to bite the bullet. I had always planned to do the drawers later anyway; would it be easier without the faceframe? It seems like I should be able to put the face frame on with the top there, but this is the first time I'm making cabinets.

Joe Chritz
04-06-2006, 3:43 PM
The drawers shouldn't be a problem. I use a 6" wide 3/4 rail on the back of the cab pocket screwed and glued. The runners hang on brackets made just for the purpose. Works with euro slides great.

If you were going to screw the face frame on you could always crawl inside and do it but it doesn't sound like any fun.

Should only take an hour or so to build the frame. You could always finish it in place if needed to save time.

My bathroom vanity went full term (9 months or so) with no drawers or doors. :D

Wish I would have used stone.

Joe