PDA

View Full Version : Any Sawyers around Tampa? Free Logs!

Russ Filtz
04-05-2006, 8:22 PM
I may have a source for some free logs. I was at the old County landfill where they have a yardwaste composting area. In the back I noticed a huge pile of logs waiting to be chipped :eek: into mulch :mad: . [pic to follow once I get to work]

I measured a few and they ranged from about 13-15" diamter to some 40"+ monsters. Most 10-13' long and reasonably straight. Some looked rotten, some looked good. I'm not a tree expert so I asked the attendant what some of them were. He stated pine, oak, and cypress, which is about all that grows in Florida anyway! He said they used to have some woodworker employees that would load up logs every now and then.

They don't care about giving the logs away. They get paid to take them, and then they won't have to pay to chop them to size and feed them to the grinder! If anyone's interested, drop me a line and I can get some phone numbers. Or just show up at the gate. It's the old NW landfill on Linebaugh Ave east of Sheldon road. The compost company also runs two other sites for the County. Both I think are south of Tampa, one's off US41 just past Gibsonton. Good Luck! Wish I had a bandsaw mill.

Don Baer
04-05-2006, 9:42 PM
Boy Stu would be there in a Hill Billies heart beat.

Dick Strauss
04-05-2006, 11:44 PM
Russ,
Look up some sawyers at the sites below. Then you might be able to make a deal on 1/2 shares if you help load/stack.

http://www.harvestingurbantimber.com/classifieds/mills.html
http://www.woodweb.com/Resources/RSSDGsawyers.html

Let us know how you make out...

Dick

Rob Russell
04-06-2006, 8:59 AM
Beware that when you take those logs to be sawn, you have no idea where they came from. They could be big old yard trees that are full of metal. If you're really going to take a lot of those logs out, you might consider buying a deep-scan metal detector that's made for scanning trees. It could save you some $ in sawyer blade charges plus the frustration of moving large logs just to have them end up as firewood anyway. One thing to look for is blue-stain on the ends, especially the butt end.

Russ Filtz
04-06-2006, 9:40 AM
Didn't see any blue stains. I'm not really interested in Pine or Oak. I've heard the Cypress you get now is not the old "good" kind either.

Here's the photo!