PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly Bandsaw Question

Matt King
04-05-2006, 7:00 PM
I'm trying to decide whether or not to spend the extra coin and purchase the G0514X (19"/3HP)instead of the G0513X(17"/2HP). I'm hoping to do some 'poor man's sawmilling' with the saw, as well as re-sawing and general cutting. The larger diameter wheels seem like a good idea, as well as the larger motor and magnetic switch. I understand that neither of these saw are probably truly capable of tensioning a 1"+ blade, so even if I get the 19", I'll believe I'll stick with quality 3/4" blades for the 'heavy' stuff.

Thanks, y'all! I promise I really am going to actually *make* something with the tools, instead of just acquire them!! :rolleyes:

Matt

Peter Lyon
04-05-2006, 7:19 PM
Matt,

I have the 17" and run a 1" 3 tpi timberwolf with good results. I wouldn't say I'm any where close to a production shop but I have resawn a few hundred board feet this way.

Dave Mapes
04-05-2006, 7:26 PM
I understand that neither of these saw are probably truly capable of tensioning a 1"+ blade, so even if I get the 19", I'll believe I'll stick with quality 3/4" blades for the 'heavy' stuff.

[/quote]

Matt I choose the G0514X because it will take 1 1/4' blade and am running a 1" blade right now without any problems. I also like you, liked the larger motor and noticed it was the same motor as on the G0566, inaddition it gave me extra 3" inches to the left throat cut.

I felt for the money the G514X was a better buy than the G0566 because of the included resaw fence and my questioning the my need of a 14" cut height vs a 12"