PDA

View Full Version : Crotch Oak? and cherry log price

Mike Parzych
04-05-2006, 3:06 PM
In my travels today I passed a place where a large red oak had been cut down. Apparently the guy is burning the wood in a boiler set-up that I'm guessing he uses to heat his home - no one was home at the time. I checked the pile out. It was huge - at least 30" dia, and he's cutting it into about 2' legths prior to splitting. There were some crotch sections he hasn't split yet, and I was wondering if anyone knows whether they're anything special in oak. I've never seen them mentioned so I'm assuming there isn't anything spectacular going on inside. Anyone know?

And last week I spotted some cherry logs that were from clearing land for a homesite (I can spot lumber from a long way off!) They were probably cut last spring/summer. Don't really look too checked, although they weren't end sealed. Anyone know what a reasonable offer (based on bf I can figure from the log chart) would be if they're interested in selling them? There's about 6 logs maybe 10-12" dia by 8 ft. I've never bought logs before.

Mike Parzych
04-05-2006, 4:12 PM
Forgot to mention - I live in WI - for reference on the cherry prices. I usually pay about $3 bf at sawmills.

Ted Christiansen
04-05-2006, 7:15 PM
Mike,

On the cherry logs...I would contact the landowner and offer to remove them for free. Dont tell him they are for lumber, just you want the wood. If he doesnt bite, then offer $50 for the lot.

Regards,

Ted

Rob Russell
04-05-2006, 8:36 PM
10-12" logs aren't going to yield a whole lot of lumber and you'll have a bunch of sapwood. How are you going to saw them into lumber?

Mike Parzych
04-05-2006, 9:34 PM
I'd have someone I know locally saw them, air dry it myself. I can't find much, if any, air dried cherry within 100 miles. If I get them free or close to free it would be worth it.

Steve Clardy
04-05-2006, 9:38 PM
Nothing special in oak crotches.
Totally unlike walnut, cherry crotches

Mike Parzych
04-05-2006, 11:27 PM
Thanks Steve,,,sorta what I figgered.