PDA

View Full Version : Small Bowl

Lee DeRaud
04-05-2006, 2:19 PM
My first shot at a bowl, 4.5"D by 1.5"H...more of a candy or nut dish, really. Yet another chunk off the cherrnut tree.:p
Finish needs some work, but I don't have the "puffs" for my buffing system yet to do the inside.

Don Baer
04-05-2006, 2:27 PM
Very nice Lee. What woods did you use ?

Lee DeRaud
04-05-2006, 2:28 PM
Very nice Lee. What woods did you use ?Cherry and walnut..."cherrnut".

Don Baer
04-05-2006, 2:29 PM
Cherry and walnut..."cherrnut".

Doh :o , I missed that.

Ken Fitzgerald
04-05-2006, 2:48 PM
Fantastic first bowl Lee! I hope either of mine turn out that well! I like that shape. I've got a dry one on the lathe right now.....mapleheart........:D

Lee DeRaud
04-05-2006, 2:57 PM
Fantastic first bowl Lee! I hope either of mine turn out that well! I like that shape. I've got a dry one on the lathe right now.....mapleheart........:DThanks. There's a jarroak blank sitting on the workbench...maybe tomorrow.:cool:

Keith Burns
04-05-2006, 3:00 PM
Lee, that is a great "first" (yeah, right) bowl:) Nice form and mixture/placement of the two woods.

Bernie Weishapl
04-05-2006, 3:01 PM
Lee that is a mighty good looking bowl for your first one. You got some of that funny wood to. I use a lot of WalAsh here. :D :D Might have to try some of that Cherrnut. Looks awful nice. What kind of finish is on it? Great work.

Lee DeRaud
04-05-2006, 3:10 PM
What kind of finish is on it?Just buffed out, with a little wax on the outside, inside is just sanded to 320 and polished with EEE Ultra Shine.

I'm still looking for the "right" finish to use on turned stuff. My flatwork is pretty much all done with GF Seal-A-Cell/Arm-R-Seal, but that takes a couple of days minimum.

Bob Noles
04-05-2006, 3:53 PM
Lee,

GREAT job!

I cannot believe how far you have progressed in such a short period of time. Looks like you have reached the ranks of vortex CEO's already.

Keep up the good work and keep us posted on future projects.

Andy Hoyt
04-05-2006, 3:54 PM
Lee - You can indeed use the buffing wheels on the inside.

It's a combination of bowl diameter and the "wall pitch".

If the bowl is six inches or less turn a shallow pitched wall.

And if you can't do that, then just skip the first wheel (which is the stiffest) and go straight to the second and third. Those two wheels are flexible and schmooshy enough to allow you to "get in there".

I've got those ball buff puff things and they're not all that effective in removing residue, so I reserve their use to critical pieces.

Bernie Weishapl
04-05-2006, 4:14 PM
Lee a lot of my bowls if they aren't for eating I use Mylands Friction Polish. You wet it down and then turn the lathe on to buff it out with a paper towel. It is dry when your done. I also will sometime after the EEE spray it with Deft lacquer which dries for recoat in 30 minutes. Both seem to do a good job and dry fairly quickly. On eating bowls I use Mahoney's walnut oil and then his walnut oil/wax or Behlens Salad bowl finish. The LOML has been using a bowl for salad and cereal for about a month now with the Behlens and it seems to be holding up. These seem to do the job.

Don Baer
04-05-2006, 4:21 PM
hmmm got me thinking I might have to turn some walyptus or maybe some walaple..

Mark Cothren
04-05-2006, 4:26 PM
Nice work Lee! Nice bowl you turned there.

Thanks for the pictures!

Lee DeRaud
04-05-2006, 4:31 PM
Lee - You can indeed use the buffing wheels on the inside.I already tried that on this one: took it right out of my hands and launched it across the garage.:eek: Luckily the first thing it hit was drywall, so it just scuffed it a bit...whew!!

I'll probably be doing enough small stuff to make the puff-ball purchase a good idea.

Andy Hoyt
04-05-2006, 4:51 PM
Try rigging an old bedsheet under and behind your buffing like a hammock. Makes a nice landing pad for those that get launched.

Lee DeRaud
04-05-2006, 4:59 PM
Try rigging an old bedsheet under and behind your buffing rig like a hammock. Makes a nice landing pad for those that get launched.Or I could just move the lathe into a padded cell...
probably where I'm going to end up anyway.:p

Michael Stafford
04-05-2006, 5:01 PM
Lee, I have been considering doing some of these layered bowls myself. There is a very fine artist here in North Carolina that specializes in layered bowls and I have long admired his work just haven't taken the time to experiment with the techniques. His name is Jim McPhail. Here is a link to his site.

http://www.jimmcphail.com/

Nice job, Lee. You can do just about as good a job buffing with shoe shine buffs as the Beall system. I hardly ever use the Beall buffs on the inside of my bowls, just the various flannel buffs you can readily get in the shoe shine department.

Dennis Peacock
04-05-2006, 8:26 PM
Good work there Lee....very nice and very nice on the various woods you used. Very well done sir. :D

Lee DeRaud
04-05-2006, 8:52 PM
Lee, I have been considering doing some of these layered bowls myself. There is a very fine artist here in North Carolina that specializes in layered bowls and I have long admired his work just haven't taken the time to experiment with the techniques. His name is Jim McPhail. Here is a link to his site. http://www.jimmcphail.com/
No kidding. I just took a look at that, amazing stuff. Maybe I'll have to reconsider my concept of "small": most of his seem to be less than 5", but they sure look bigger than that in photos. Nice thing is, I'm already set up to mill thin (1/16" - 1/4") stock for my laser work.

Corey Hallagan
04-05-2006, 8:59 PM
Looking good Lee! Nice little bowl!

Corey

John Hart
04-05-2006, 9:24 PM
I'm impressed with the fact that you kept your layers even....and I really like the foot. Cool bowl Lee!!

Bruce Shiverdecker
04-05-2006, 10:07 PM
Nice lookin' bowl, Lee.

Bruce

Jim Dunn
04-05-2006, 10:53 PM
Nice looking bowl Lee. I too like the cherrnut wood. I may have to plant a mapalnut tree out back in the lower 1/3rd.

Curt Fuller
04-05-2006, 10:54 PM
That's a great looking little bowl Lee. But I have a question about the Cherrnut tree. Do you eat the fruit and spit out the seed or eat the seed and spit out the fruit?