PDA

View Full Version : First Post By New Member With Pics.

Darren Brown
04-05-2006, 12:21 PM
Hi All,

I thought I would jump into the creek with some pictures of my latest project. First is a TV cabinet in solid cherry, shaker style.

35782 35783

Since the cabinet will house the kid's game system and will be open some of the time I went with a ship lapped back.

This TV cabinet sites in the family room I just renovated. I live in a small cape and space is at a premium so I put in some cabinets from Kraftmaid to create a home office/kid's junk storage area. The desktop is solid cherry.

35785 35786

Sorry about the quality of the pictures but my camera stinks. (The photagrapher is not very talented either.) Any and all comments welcome but please be kind to the new hack.

Darren

Michael Ballent
04-05-2006, 12:24 PM
Welcome to SMC !!!! and you have started off with a bang :D a little intro about yourself and then you toss in some pics to boot. The Pic Police will approve :D The furniture looks great, keep them coming.

tod evans
04-05-2006, 12:35 PM
welcome darren! nice work...02 tod

Gary Keedwell
04-05-2006, 12:38 PM
Hello,

Great looking tv stand. Could you tell us your finish schedule? Inquiring minds want to know. Welcome to the Creek. I'm fairly new too. I do know that they really like pictures. LOL

Gary K.

John Miliunas
04-05-2006, 12:41 PM
"Hack" you say??? I think NOT!!! :) Very nice work on both projects! :D Welcome and hope to see you 'round the Creek a whole lot more! Oh, and great job on your first post!!! Tyler would be proud of you! :D :cool:

Don Baer
04-05-2006, 12:44 PM
Welcome to the creek and you came in the right way with some pictures of some great work.

Ken Fitzgerald
04-05-2006, 12:47 PM
Welcome to the Creek Darren! You obviously know the protocols...photos included!:rolleyes: Nice projects ...Nice!:)

Darren Brown
04-05-2006, 1:17 PM
Thanks everyone for your kind words. In response to Gary K., I usually schedule the finish for sometime near the end of the project. :D (Collective groan) Seriously, it's Watco natural danish oil and wax.

Darren

David Duke
04-05-2006, 1:44 PM
Welcome to the Creek Darren, great bunch of folks around here.

Craig Zettle
04-05-2006, 1:51 PM
Hello Darren,
Welcome and nice work! Question on your shiplapped back. How did you lap the boards together, specifically did you rabbet an edge or just flat edges pushed together? I am working on a shiplapped back also, but the boards are 1/8" so I think rabbeting would make too thin an edge. I have seen it done a variety of ways, and was wondering your technique.

Martin Shupe
04-05-2006, 2:20 PM
Darren,

Welcome to SMC. The TV stand has earned you automatic membership in the special, one of a kind, SMC Shaker Club.

Seriously, excellent work. Did you use plans for the TV stand, or draw it up yourself? Very nice design and execution, and cherry is my favorite wood.

If you want to see some more Shaker stuff, do a search on "threads started by" Jason Tuinstra. Jason's work is outstanding!

Or, just do a search on "shaker" and you will find quite a few nice pieces.

Again, welcome!

Jason Tuinstra
04-05-2006, 3:00 PM
Darren, first off, welcome! Good to have you hear. Second, excellent projects. It would appear that the Shaker club is going to be growing yet again. Check with Martin, he'll get you your badge :D Seriously, very nice pieces.

Mike Cutler
04-05-2006, 3:26 PM
"Hack" eh.. I don't think so. That cherry TV cabinet is very well done. Nice grain matching, clean sharp lines, Reveal around the doors is symetrical, and the finish is very nice. Not too glossy, and not too flat. Just right. The ship lapped back is a killer touch.
I also like the kid's "junk" area. I don't know what Kraftmaid is, I'm assuming it is some form of a kit, but that looks like a really nice area for a kid.

Darren. Welcome to Sawmill Creek, pleased to meet ya' .

Martin Lutz
04-05-2006, 3:40 PM
Welcome, Beautiful work.

Alan Tolchinsky
04-05-2006, 4:02 PM
Very nice Darren; I like the look of the doors. Welcome to the Creek. Alan in Md.

Jay Knoll
04-05-2006, 4:04 PM
Darren

What a way to join the Creek! Great post, the work looks excellent!

We all look forward to seeing more

Jay

Von Bickley
04-05-2006, 4:19 PM
Darren,

Welcome to the Creek

John Buzzurro
04-05-2006, 5:32 PM
Welcome to SMC, Darren. You do nice work. I really like the TV stand.

Vaughn McMillan
04-05-2006, 6:24 PM
...In response to Gary K., I usually schedule the finish for sometime near the end of the project. :D (Collective groan) ...
Not only do you do nice work, and include pics on your first post, but you've got a sense of humor, too. I'm thinkin' you'll fit in right well here. Welcome to the Creek Darren, and I look forward to seeing more of your self-proclaimed hackery. ;)

- Vaughn

Jerry Olexa
04-05-2006, 6:51 PM
Darren, very nice work and Welcome!! Looks like we have another "cherry" lover like me..Great wood IMHO. How did you finish the cherry? has a nice warm look...

Ralph Okonieski
04-05-2006, 7:13 PM
Beautiful cabinet! I've never worked with Cherry but I'm getting the itch.

Corey Hallagan
04-05-2006, 9:08 PM
Great looking projects Darren, I think you did a bang up job on both! And welcome to the Creek!!
Corey

lou sansone
04-05-2006, 9:19 PM
welcome from one nutmegger to another

lou

Jim Becker
04-06-2006, 1:48 AM
Welcome, Darren. Very nice work!!

Dan Forman
04-06-2006, 5:08 AM
Darren, Welcome to the Creek, a very fetching cabinet there, lovely figure in the wood.

Dan

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
04-06-2006, 6:10 AM
Hey Darren, welcome!

Wanna bet the kids will not even notice the stand once the playstation/Xbox is in there :p

Don't matter, as it will out last them toys by many years.

Very nice work, and a great intro!

Cheers!

Steve Clardy
04-06-2006, 8:12 AM
Welcome Darren!!