PDA

View Full Version : cool old doors

tod evans
04-05-2006, 7:51 AM
i seldom leave the shop for site work but this project was too cool to pass up. here`s some pics of what are to be the entry doors on a local residence. the doors are solid 2 1/4 mahogany but the jambs are 4" square red beech with hand planed stop. it`ll be a while before they`re ready to go in but i`ll add pics to this post as i progress. tod

tod evans
04-05-2006, 7:58 AM
and one of the straight jamb members.

Richard Wolf
04-05-2006, 7:59 AM
Looks like an interesting project.

Richard

John Miliunas
04-05-2006, 8:08 AM
Wow, looks to be an interesting, yet very ambitious project! So, how old do you figure those doors and jambs to be??? You gonna' make duplicates of them for the servant's quarters, too??? :confused: :D :cool:

Bill Lewis
04-05-2006, 8:31 AM
Those sure are some fancy hatches.

tod evans
04-05-2006, 9:01 AM
Wow, looks to be an interesting, yet very ambitious project! So, how old do you figure those doors and jambs to be??? You gonna' make duplicates of them for the servant's quarters, too??? :confused: :D :cool:

john, guessing from the construction techniques i think these my be retrofit doors to the jambs? the jambs show only signs of hand work, especially the radiused transom. the doors on the otherhand show some signs of machine work mixed with the carvings, as does the actual transom itself.. i`d only be guessing at the age so i won`t. .02 tod

Shelley Bolster
04-05-2006, 9:12 AM
Most definitely Cool doors Tod! Machine made or not, they still show some pretty incredible craftsmanship! Have fun with them and Tod......make sure to post some pictures when they are installed. ;) :)

scott spencer
04-05-2006, 10:39 AM
More like "extraordinary old doors"! Those are beautiful! I think HD has a sale on them this week. ;)

Reg Mitchell
04-05-2006, 10:46 AM
Hi Todd
Man if the front doors look that slick, I can imagin what the rest of the place looks like. That will be a very nice project to watch evolve.....:)

Brett Baldwin
04-05-2006, 2:55 PM
Reg, they are obviously the entryway to an UPSCALE trailer home. You know, with the fancy window treatments and everything.:D Just kidding of course, those are some great looking doors. I think I see Victorian and Craftsman design in them which is kind of odd I think.

tod evans
04-05-2006, 3:05 PM
Reg, they are obviously the entryway to an UPSCALE trailer home. You know, with the fancy window treatments and everything.:D Just kidding of course, those are some great looking doors. I think I see Victorian and Craftsman design in them which is kind of odd I think.

it`s all them dadburned city folk movin` in! fancy cars-n-such, next they`ll want indoor plumbin`...

Brett Baldwin
04-05-2006, 3:34 PM
it`s all them dadburned city folk movin` in! fancy cars-n-such, next they`ll want indoor plumbin`...

And they complain about your having four cars out front just because they don't like that you are "restoring" three of them at once. Its just a darn shame the way neighborhoods everywhere are going downhill. At least these doors ought to bring the neighborhood they're in up a bit.

Joe Chritz
04-05-2006, 3:42 PM
Whenever I look at really old woodwork I always feel like such a slacker.

There is a furniture shop in town here that is about 110 years old or so. The upstairs has original carved crown, trim, ceiling panels and a bunch of other stuff. I like to go in just to look at the woodwork. Makes me feel better when I am sanding for three hours with a ROS.

Can't wait to see the finished project.

Joe

Reg Mitchell
04-05-2006, 4:50 PM
:eek: whats indoor plumming.....moveing the outhouse inside....never thought of such a thing....what they gonna do about the flys

Andy Hoyt
04-05-2006, 4:54 PM
....what they gonna do about the flys

Beef 'em and eat 'em.

Richard Wolf
04-05-2006, 5:08 PM
Beef 'em and eat 'em.

How do you beef a fly???

Richard

tod evans
04-05-2006, 5:57 PM
Beef 'em and eat 'em.

huh?? must be northern hillbilly lingo?

Andy Hoyt
04-05-2006, 5:59 PM
flyswatter and a spoon. works like a charm:D

tod evans
04-05-2006, 6:01 PM
oooooookay then? ya` ever think of movin` south andy?

Andy Hoyt
04-05-2006, 6:40 PM
Got as far as New Hampshire once, but turned around.

Too many people and too hot.:D