PDA

View Full Version : Brown dropped off the Wetzler Order... Now these are clamps!

Dev Emch
04-04-2006, 11:09 PM
Well...
Usually I buy jorgensen clamps for most of my clampping needs these days. I did not like my Bessey clamps so they were fire sold. Nothing wrong with them.... I just did not feel comfortable with them. Not my cup of tea.

At any rate, I needed some deep reach clamps for my current project and decided to give Wetzler a try. I have been meaning to get some Wetzler clamps for quite some time but the opportunity never really availed itself. Often your fighting deadline pressure and cannot wait for UPS ground to finally show up. This time I could and this is what I ordered.

I ordered up four 7 inch deep by 12 inch working length Quick Action clamps with four side orders of single screw cross clamps. Wetzler has a web site that shows the various versions of the quick action clamp and its a bunch! You can get a number of different throat depths all in a variety of useful clamping lengths. They also make a very nice bar clamp with two different handle types.

So I was blown away when I opened up the box. As you can see from the photo, these clamps are made from real cast iron with no finish. That is the actual iron as it came from the sand casting. And the clamps have the unique machine shop oder from the cutting and threading oil used to tap and thread the acme threads. There is something about that smell that makes all machinist types say... Ahhhhh, the smell of my bridgeport in the morning!

And for the picture police, I snaped a couple of pictures before these things disappear into the saw dust covered back corners of my shop rarely to see the light of day again. The first photo shows the four clamps and the four cross clamps. The second photo shows how the cross clamp attaches to the quick action clamp. This is a darn useful configuration that multi-tasks the use of the quick action clamps. Nice!

The order process was simple and the folks at Wetzler were extremely nice and helpful. Rest assured that I will be going back to them for my clamping needs. My only concern is that the lady made a slight off color remark about how long the company will remain in business. Wetzler has been in business for years and years and I hope to goodness that they continue to ramble on. The clamp business never made anyone rich but its a pleasure to see products like these still available in this country. So if you need some clamps, please consider this as an option. These are top quality clamps and we need to help keep Wetlzer strong and focused. Incidently I have nothing to do with Wetlzer. I am but a mere mortal customer who enjoys having Wetzler around for my clamping pleasure!:D

On a scale of 1 to 10, these clamps and this company rate a 12!

Jim Becker
04-04-2006, 11:34 PM
Yea, they make some very "stout" clamps. I've had the chance to fondle them at shows. They are also one of the few sources for f-clamps with really deep jaws...something quite useful.

Dev Emch
04-04-2006, 11:38 PM
Yea, they make some very "stout" clamps. I've had the chance to fondle them at shows. They are also one of the few sources for f-clamps with really deep jaws...something quite useful.

Stupid Question Time! What the heck is an f-clamp? Esp. one with deep jaws? Are you referring to the quick action clamps? They had some quick action clamps with 12 inch jaws and bars long enough for these to function as bar clamps. But I saw no reference to an f-clamp.

Larry Cooke
04-05-2006, 12:02 AM
Stupid Question Time! What the heck is an f-clamp? Esp. one with deep jaws?
Dev,

Look at them from a distance, they look like the letter F. Judging from your photos, they have a deep reach (from the bar to the part that compresses the object being clamped.)

BTW, thanks for the tip. I looked at some Bessys the other day and I wasn't all that impressed. Nice bars, but the plastic covers just seemed wrong to me. Guess it's personal prefference and I need to buy a few to play with but these Wetzler's look like my cup of tea too.

Larry

Alan Turner
04-05-2006, 3:50 AM
Dev,
I have some Wetzlers, and they are good clamps, although not inexpensive. The only better clamp I have used of this type is the Hartford. But, Hartford went out of business about 4-5 years ago, and they made Wetzler look affordable. I have had three shots at Hartfords, 2 from closing patten shops, and one from a retiring furniture maker. If I ever get another shot, I will take out a 2d mortgage and clean them out.

One trick that I have used on F clamps is to glue on pieces of leather to act as cauls, and to reduce slipping. I have found that the rubber based CA glue works well, and I rarely have to re-glue them.

Barry O'Mahony
04-05-2006, 5:00 AM
...the plastic covers just seemed wrong to me. Well, glue doesn't stick to the plastic, and it won't discolor oak like metal can. Plus, the surface is big enough I don't need to bother with cushioning cauls, at least not for hardwoods.

Not that there's anything wrong with Jorgies, and the new Jet's look nice. And these Wetzler's look like a step up from a couple of old deep-reach heavy-duty Jorgies I have, that come in handy in certain circumstances.

David Rose
04-05-2006, 5:45 AM
OK, I have an idea for you. Send all those junky old Bessies to me! I will give them a very proper dispoal for you. I promise! I haven't dropped one for several days and have some on a job right now. Those new ones look pretty cool and smell good from here though. :D

David

lou sansone
04-05-2006, 6:13 AM
congrats on the new clamps dev

lou

tod evans
04-05-2006, 6:49 AM
nice clamps dev, maybe the lady you spoke to was hinting that they`re cheaper by the gross....02 tod

Dev Emch
04-05-2006, 1:36 PM
Dev,
I have some Wetzlers, and they are good clamps, although not inexpensive. The only better clamp I have used of this type is the Hartford. But, Hartford went out of business about 4-5 years ago, and they made Wetzler look affordable. I have had three shots at Hartfords, 2 from closing patten shops, and one from a retiring furniture maker. If I ever get another shot, I will take out a 2d mortgage and clean them out.

One trick that I have used on F clamps is to glue on pieces of leather to act as cauls, and to reduce slipping. I have found that the rubber based CA glue works well, and I rarely have to re-glue them.

Hmmmm...... Now I am curious! What makes the Harford better than the wetzler? Any chance of even finding some old pictures or engravings?

Michael Ballent
04-05-2006, 1:51 PM
I have looked at the Wetzlers in the past, and they appear to be very good. I am not sure if you were referring to the K-Body clamps from Bessey, those have plastic, but the Bessey tradesman clamps can probably put a dent into oak if you are not careful ;) I have been happy with the Tradesman from Bessey, and you can typically find them locally :).

Dan Racette
04-05-2006, 2:59 PM
I was talking to a friend of mine across the pond. He said our alphabet is messed up. They call them G-Clamps not F-Clamps. I assumed we were talking the same thing. I do see his point, when engaged it looks more like an F than a G.

I love these clamps. They are my permanent "OH, gee, can I buy you something for your trouble" solution. Just hand them the wetzler info.

::))

Rob Russell
04-05-2006, 8:39 PM
Dev,

The Hartford clamp factory was a couple of miles from where I live. I stopped in there once. Even direct from them, the prices were beyond what I could afford. Killer clamps, though.

Chris Barton
04-05-2006, 9:00 PM
Four clamps Dev? I figure as big a cabinet maker as you would buy them by the gross...

Steve Clardy
04-05-2006, 9:34 PM
Not to many times you really need a super deep reach clamp.
I have 8 deep reach, not used to often in cabinet building

Larry Cooke
04-05-2006, 10:27 PM
Well, glue doesn't stick to the plastic, and it won't discolor oak like metal can. Plus, the surface is big enough I don't need to bother with cushioning cauls, at least not for hardwoods.
Good points Barry, my biggest concern is how well do they handle drops. I'd like to say that I'd never drop one but knowing my occasional moments of clutsieness (is that word?) They'll be the first I drop.

Larry

Alan Turner
04-05-2006, 11:16 PM
Dev,
The Harfords are a bit stiffer, and the alignment is perfect. They have some mechanism in the movable part that means that they never loosen under pressure. Last batch I got were from a pattern shop, and they had put a rubber-like electrician's screwdriver handle cover on the handles, which made them a bit larger, and thus easier to tighten. Great idea.
But, all that said, the Wetzlers are excellent clamps. Enjoy them.

Dev Emch
04-05-2006, 11:50 PM
The Hartford clamp factory was a couple of miles from where I live. I stopped in there once. Even direct from them, the prices were beyond what I could afford. Killer clamps, though.

I am very curious as to the exact details of what constitutes a Hartford clamp and why these are supposed to be so good.

As to Hardford Clamp. A google suggest all sorts of hits. There is a Hartford mitre clamp and even a museum that has a 100 plus year old engine lathe or turret lathe which they got from the Hartford Clamp Company. I even found a possible phone number... 203-528-1708. Did they regenerate under new ownership? Are you sure they actually went out of business? I am itchin to know more about these clamps and the company.

Bart Sharp
04-06-2006, 10:09 AM
I was talking to a friend of mine across the pond. He said our alphabet is messed up. They call them G-Clamps not F-Clamps. I assumed we were talking the same thing. I do see his point, when engaged it looks more like an F than a G.

I love these clamps. They are my permanent "OH, gee, can I buy you something for your trouble" solution. Just hand them the wetzler info.

::))

That's funny, the Brits I've worked with used the term "G-clamp" to refer to what I call a "C-clamp". It's a whole alphabet soup of clamps!

Alan Turner
04-06-2006, 10:23 AM
I am very curious as to the exact details of what constitutes a Hartford clamp and why these are supposed to be so good.

As to Hardford Clamp. A google suggest all sorts of hits. There is a Hartford mitre clamp and even a museum that has a 100 plus year old engine lathe or turret lathe which they got from the Hartford Clamp Company. I even found a possible phone number... 203-528-1708. Did they regenerate under new ownership? Are you sure they actually went out of business? I am itchin to know more about these clamps and the company.

Dev,
I called Hartford Clamp. They told me that they lost their local foundry to Asian competition about 4-5 years ago, and are now only selling off the real estate and a few spare parts for their clamps. A very family business from what I could gather. Patternshops used them, from what I have seen.
They may have a few miter clamps still available, as I recall.

David Rose
04-06-2006, 4:03 PM
Bart, I thought they called them "cramps" (to add a little more to the alphabet game). :eek:

David

That's funny, the Brits I've worked with used the term "G-clamp" to refer to what I call a "C-clamp". It's a whole alphabet soup of clamps!

Dev Emch
04-06-2006, 5:38 PM
Dev,
I called Hartford Clamp. They told me that they lost their local foundry to Asian competition about 4-5 years ago, and are now only selling off the real estate and a few spare parts for their clamps. A very family business from what I could gather. Patternshops used them, from what I have seen.
They may have a few miter clamps still available, as I recall.
So what kind of clamps did Hartford make? I have a photo from a navy pattern shop in which there some large F type, deep throat clamps. The handle was actually a bit like a butterfly and not just a round stick. Otherwise, similar to the ones I got. Could these be Hartfords? Did Hartford also make any bar clamps?

P.S. I called the number I found and it is out of order.

Todd Davidson
04-06-2006, 7:04 PM
[quote=Dev Emch]So what kind of clamps did Hartford make? I have a photo from a navy pattern shop in which there some large F type, deep throat clamps. The handle was actually a bit like a butterfly and not just a round stick. Otherwise, similar to the ones I got. Could these be Hartfords? Did Hartford also make any bar clamps?

Hey Dev~

Hartford Clamp Co made "F" clamps, pipe clamps, bar clamps, and miter clamps (the miter clamps are still available in a few stores here in CT). At least that's all I'm aware of. They show up on e-bay from time to time and are frequently at flea markets, junk and antique shops here in CT.

In peace, Todd

Alan Turner
04-06-2006, 8:07 PM
So what kind of clamps did Hartford make? I have a photo from a navy pattern shop in which there some large F type, deep throat clamps. The handle was actually a bit like a butterfly and not just a round stick. Otherwise, similar to the ones I got. Could these be Hartfords? Did Hartford also make any bar clamps?

P.S. I called the number I found and it is out of order.

Dev,
The F style clamps that I have were made with round handles, similar to the Wetzlers, but of a light colored wood, finished with an amber varnish. Tha Hartford handles are a bit larger in diameter than the Wetzlers.