PDA

View Full Version : My interpretation of Norm's router table

James Biddle
04-04-2006, 10:35 PM
I finally finished my router table (except for the DC). As you'll notice, I made a few changes to Norm's design. Thanks for looking.
http://home.comcast.net/~jbiddle/pics/routertable10.JPG
http://home.comcast.net/~jbiddle/pics/routertable5.JPG
http://home.comcast.net/~jbiddle/pics/routertable6.JPG
http://home.comcast.net/~jbiddle/pics/routertable7.JPG
http://home.comcast.net/~jbiddle/pics/routertable8.JPG
http://home.comcast.net/~jbiddle/pics/routertable9.JPG

Chris Barton
04-04-2006, 10:36 PM
Oh my word! That's too nice for a router. I would put that in my livingroom!

Mark Singer
04-04-2006, 10:39 PM
James,
Great interpretation! Is that paduck? Very nice workmanship....a real show piece...

Dan Oliphant
04-04-2006, 10:45 PM
James, that is real purdy!!!! Well done.

Lopaka Garcia
04-04-2006, 11:07 PM
Wow that's a very beautiful table. How can you even think about using that in a shop? Can I ask how much it cost to make that table?

Christopher Stahl
04-04-2006, 11:16 PM
That is AWESOME!!!! Now I'm seriously jealous. What are those drawer fronts made of?

chris

Corey Hallagan
04-04-2006, 11:26 PM
Way to nice for a router table :) Very fine craftsmanship! Nice job.

corey

Greg Koch
04-04-2006, 11:29 PM
WOW! Norm would be jealous! Truly and awesome table, and an inspiritation to us newbies who plan on making their own.

Larry Cooke
04-04-2006, 11:45 PM
James,

That's a fantastic router table - very, very well done indeed. (Gonna put my plywood router mounted on saw horses to shame that's for sure!)

Larry

Vaughn McMillan
04-05-2006, 1:38 AM
Well, the first words out of my mouth are against the TOS, so I'll have to settle for Whoa Mama!

That's a beautiful piece of furniture you have your router attached to. Great looking, and very functional I'm sure. Great job...Norm would be proud.

- Vaughn

Dave Fifield
04-05-2006, 4:05 AM
Nice job James! I love the contrasting woods. Are you going to make other workshop pieces to match?

Dave F.

Eric Shields
04-05-2006, 5:39 AM
James,

Router Table? Naw thats a dinner table, WOW!!!!!!

Beautiful selection of contrasting woods for this piece of "shop" furniture. I can only echo the statements of others as to where that piece should reside. Are you planning on matching all your shop cabinets, etc to this. If so you will have one BEAUTIFUL shop. Nice choice on the hardware also. I doubt Norm will have any negative remarks to your interpretation of his "mock up."

Eric

Alan Turner
04-05-2006, 5:41 AM
Nice detailing. The padauk is great. Bet you had a little orange dust about as you built 12 drawerheads. I like the straight chamfer on the door.

How did you do the one sided drawers in terms of structure?

David Rose
04-05-2006, 5:48 AM
Hey! That looks like a basic Bill Hylton design. You don't think it was stolen, do you? But you did a great job of it, from wherever it came. ;)

David

lou sansone
04-05-2006, 6:08 AM
stunning ... very impressive. you really did a great job with that. everything looks straight and square.

lou

Pete Harbin
04-05-2006, 7:09 AM
Yowsa! Very nice! That padauk really pops. I like the hardware too.

Pete

Larry Klaaren
04-05-2006, 7:55 AM
Beautiful cabinet work. Are the plans for that cabinet in one of the NYW books, or where are they available?

I'm learning, so this may be a dumb question . . . The hole in the front door, I'm sure that is for air inflow for the dust collection. My hunch is that allows air to flow along the floor and up through the vent. Is that the purpose of that? I'm thinking that otherwise you would have a flow down from the insert and out the vent, but a lot would settle on the floor, but it is just a guess.

I don't know a thing about dust collectors except what I've read on this site. (Do most of my work outside.) But I am moving toward setting up a DC system, since I started getting better, and heavier tools.

TIA,
Larry

Kent Parker
04-05-2006, 8:45 AM
Beautiful workmanship! I love working with padauk, just wish it would stay as colorful as is is when new. A hutch I made from it has mellowed to a coffee brown.

Looks like you glued up the door with the plexiglass panel in place?

And your side-less drawers, how thick are the bottoms?

Boy what a great looking table!!

Cheers,

Kent

Mike Kelly
04-05-2006, 8:58 AM
Beautiful execution and attention to detail. I would have a hard time getting this dirty!

Roger Eihausen
04-05-2006, 8:59 AM
James, that is one beautiful router station.
I noticed the router you have installed is it a Frued router?

James Biddle
04-05-2006, 9:24 AM
James,
Great interpretation! Is that paduck? Very nice workmanship....a real show piece...
Mark, yes it's padauk with a couple coats of Watco Natural on it.

James Biddle
04-05-2006, 9:27 AM
Wow that's a very beautiful table. How can you even think about using that in a shop? Can I ask how much it cost to make that table?

Even though it looks like a lot of padauk on the front, there's not that much of it to drive up the cost. I already had the top, so the biggest expenses are the labor, padauk, plywood.

James Biddle
04-05-2006, 9:29 AM
Nice job James! I love the contrasting woods. Are you going to make other workshop pieces to match?

Dave F.

Thanks. I have a matching set of drawers for under my workbench that should be done in a couple of days.

Rich Torino
04-05-2006, 9:32 AM
Workshop Router table.....not, Wet bar in your living room...yes

great piece of work..

James Biddle
04-05-2006, 9:33 AM
Nice detailing. The padauk is great. Bet you had a little orange dust about as you built 12 drawerheads. I like the straight chamfer on the door.

How did you do the one sided drawers in terms of structure?

I routed a sliding dovetail into the padauk and the white oak. Then I dadoed the sides of the padauk to fit the stops in the table. After drilling the holes in the white oak, I tacked a sacrificial piece of 1/4" plywood to the bottom of the white oak for wear and to keep the bits in.

James Biddle
04-05-2006, 9:37 AM
Hey! That looks like a basic Bill Hylton design. You don't think it was stolen, do you? But you did a great job of it, from wherever it came. ;)

David

I had to search for who Bill Hyton is. No, I only stole this from Norm as far as I know.;)

James Biddle
04-05-2006, 9:40 AM
Beautiful cabinet work. Are the plans for that cabinet in one of the NYW books, or where are they available?

I'm learning, so this may be a dumb question . . . The hole in the front door, I'm sure that is for air inflow for the dust collection. My hunch is that allows air to flow along the floor and up through the vent. Is that the purpose of that? I'm thinking that otherwise you would have a flow down from the insert and out the vent, but a lot would settle on the floor, but it is just a guess.

I don't know a thing about dust collectors except what I've read on this site. (Do most of my work outside.) But I am moving toward setting up a DC system, since I started getting better, and heavier tools.

TIA,
Larry

I think you can buy the design from Norm's website or from a few of the online suppliers.

One DC hose will hook up to the back of the cabinet and draw air through the insert on the top and the 3 holes on the door. Another hose will connect to the fence.

James Biddle
04-05-2006, 9:44 AM
Beautiful workmanship! I love working with padauk, just wish it would stay as colorful as is is when new. A hutch I made from it has mellowed to a coffee brown.

Looks like you glued up the door with the plexiglass panel in place?

And your side-less drawers, how thick are the bottoms?

Boy what a great looking table!!

Cheers,

Kent

Kent, I glued up the door with the plexiglass in place. If I did it again, I'd make the door cuts with a rabbit in the back to make the plexiglass removable.

The router bit drawers are 13/16" thick white oak with a 1/4" wear strip tacked to the bottom.

James Biddle
04-05-2006, 9:46 AM
James, that is one beautiful router station.
I noticed the router you have installed is it a Frued router?

Thanks Roger. The router is the Milwaukee 5625. I like this router a lot for table work.

Anthony Anderson
04-05-2006, 10:14 AM
James, Very Nice! As Chris said that should go in your living room. Although, maybe that is what you have planned. That is what I call utilitarian, a coffee table/router table. Why didn't the Shakers think of this:D? Great Job! Regards, Bill

Ron Jones near Indy
04-05-2006, 10:30 AM
Wow--that's one great looking router table! If you have something like this in the shop, I would love to see what you have in the living room.:)

Ralph Okonieski
04-05-2006, 8:27 PM
Wow, what a nice table. I just finished one myself but not nearly in the same league as yours. Very nicely done! The color combination is stunning. The contrast is truly beautiful.

Ken Fitzgerald
04-05-2006, 8:36 PM
James......What a fantastic router table! If I built something that nice, my wife, all 140 lb.s of her would wrestle it into the house and guard with my 12 gauge! Great work!

John Keane
04-05-2006, 11:48 PM
Darn, now I have to rebuild mine. That is really a nice cabinet. I compliment you on your woodworking skill.

John Anderson
04-06-2006, 8:38 AM
Smoooooooooove.

Great looking job, you gonna actually use it, and take a chance getting it scratched?:D

Chris Barton
04-06-2006, 9:07 AM
James,

Just a heads up here, and you may already be aware of this but, in about a year your router table will look very different. Paduk will turn from a scarlet color to a warm brown loosing much of it's red in about a year. I do a lot of work with Paduk and have had this happen in very piece I have ever made. Sam Maloof talks about this in one of his interviews as well saying that was one of the lessons he learned early on.

Byron Trantham
04-06-2006, 10:02 AM
Wow!!!! You went all the way! VERY nice job.

Steve Clardy
04-06-2006, 7:20 PM
Hey. Thats nice!! PLenty of storage.
Looks like it ought to be sitting in the living room!

James Biddle
04-06-2006, 9:48 PM
James,

Just a heads up here, and you may already be aware of this but, in about a year your router table will look very different. Paduk will turn from a scarlet color to a warm brown loosing much of it's red in about a year. I do a lot of work with Paduk and have had this happen in very piece I have ever made. Sam Maloof talks about this in one of his interviews as well saying that was one of the lessons he learned early on.

Great observation Chris. One of the reasons I wanted to try out the padauk was to see for myself just how much the color changes. At least I can show someone the end result if they have questions.

Lori Kleinberg
04-07-2006, 10:35 AM
:cool: I very much like your router table. I decided to save the pictures for inspiration, so I can modify my bench dog table.

Tyler Howell
04-07-2006, 11:15 AM
James you are a great interpreter.
I love the dialect and the local accent makes the message very clear.
Well done;)

Jim Shaffer
04-07-2006, 2:02 PM
Is that a store-bought top? Which one?

Jeffrey Makiel
04-07-2006, 2:17 PM
I just went downstairs and kicked my routertable. :)
Jeff

James Biddle
04-07-2006, 5:56 PM
Is that a store-bought top? Which one?

It's the top from Woodhaven.

David Rose
04-07-2006, 6:55 PM
Did it kickback? :D

David

I just went downstairs and kicked my routertable. :)
Jeff

Steve Clardy
04-07-2006, 7:32 PM
Did it kickback? :D

David

Lol

Router TABLE kickback:eek: :D ;)

John Kain
04-07-2006, 7:46 PM
Norm gave us a nice blueprint:

Here's mine. The insert is backordered, so I have to wait to do the top.

Steve Clardy
04-07-2006, 7:54 PM
Norm gave us a nice blueprint:

Here's mine. The insert is backordered, so I have to wait to do the top.

Another nice one John.
I just use old beater left over lower kitchen cabs for my router tables.

Richard Wolf
04-07-2006, 8:12 PM
Boy, that's the full monty.

Richard

George Kretschmann
04-07-2006, 8:49 PM
I finally finished my router table (except for the DC). As you'll notice, I made a few changes to Norm's design. Thanks for looking.
http://home.comcast.net/~jbiddle/pics/routertable10.JPG
http://home.comcast.net/~jbiddle/pics/routertable5.JPG
http://home.comcast.net/~jbiddle/pics/routertable6.JPG
http://home.comcast.net/~jbiddle/pics/routertable7.JPG
http://home.comcast.net/~jbiddle/pics/routertable8.JPG
http://home.comcast.net/~jbiddle/pics/routertable9.JPG

You are as good or better than Norm....good grief....that's super great!!!!!:D