PDA

View Full Version : Wader's Weekend Accomplishments....

Dennis Peacock
08-18-2003, 10:13 AM
Well....another weekend has come and gone. It's time now for you to fess up about what you did this weekend. Any projects worked on in the shop? Completed something that you have been working on for months?

No real shop time for the this past weekend....I was oncall for work and spent most days and nights trying to catch a nap when I could. Pulling extreme hours is not as easy as it used to be for me any more. :)

I hope to get some shop time in this week so I can finish the benches for the LOML's kitchen table.....just until I can figure out how to make the chairs for it and get 8 of them made. :confused:

Best of Weeks............

Ed Falis
08-18-2003, 10:43 AM
No shop time for me either. Too busy getting married!

- Ed

Scott Coffelt
08-18-2003, 11:32 AM
Besides trying to stay cool, over 100 this weekend. Suppose to hit 106 today and the long ranger says 100+ for at least the next 7 days. I hate summer, I guess the positive side of this it forces you to stay inside.

Recovered Saturday from a 101 fever on Friday, snuck down in the shop that evening. Worked Sunday on a door frames, doors and a sliding shelf for my clients in-wall stereo cabinet. A few more hours and it should be ready for paint and order glass.

That's about it.

Jim Becker
08-18-2003, 11:42 AM
That light at the end of the tunnel is getting brighter and there is less tunnel to traverse on the kitchen renovation (http://sawsndust.com/p_kit-demo.htm) . The range arrived on Saturday and with my brother's help, the base cabinet for the "ell" was completed and installed. This cabinet needed to be a very close fit between the wall and a support column, so it was not constructed until the drywall was finished. We completed construction of it on Saturday, I sprayed the PSL on Sunday morning and afternoon and put it in place Sunday night after the finish cured enough to handle it without damage. There is still a lot of work to do on that cabinet, such as the doors, drawers and false doors/drawers, but I want the base units in over the next few days so we can get the soapstone counter tops dealt with as soon as possible. This week and weekend really turned out to be a family affair with my parents visiting from Florida and my brother joining us for the weekend. Here's a few pics from the weekend...

John Miliunas
08-18-2003, 12:08 PM
Dennis, dontchya' just "love" being "on-call"?! That's just one of the reasons I enjoy woodworking as much as I do!
Ed, congrats, but shouldn't you be on your HONEYMOON?!
Scott, hope you're feeling better. No "good time" to be sick, but it really sucks in the Summer!
Jim, that'd be one heckuva' stove, I'd say! Next step: Open up your own restaurant!
For me, a little grass cutting, but way too hot to do many other outside chores. That only meant I was "forced" to spend some time in the shop. Put together a couple cutting boards and even found time to make a round object on the spinnie thing.
Have a SUPER week, everyone! :cool:

Jim Becker
08-18-2003, 12:15 PM
Jim, that'd be one heckuva' stove, I'd say!

For what they cost, we need to refer to it as a "range" rather than a "stove"...hee hee Seriously, it's SO nice to be back to cooking on gas on a quality "tool". (We had my mother's custom built gas range in our old home but couldn't bring it with us)

Next step: Open up your own restaurant!

Geepers...I work enough hours already. I don't think I'd want to double my hours for half the pay. :eek:

Richard Allen
08-18-2003, 2:19 PM
Hi

I had a long weekend. Friday I drove a 400+ miles to pick up my daughter. On the way I stopped by Barbara Gill's sawmill to see if I could buy some turning blanks. 81+ bf in 5 blanks. Should make for some nice BIG bowls in the next few months. Barbara is a member of SMC and she was very generous with her time, skill and hospitality.

Sunday I brought two more souls into the world of woodturning. Meet Amanda and Bob.

http://members.cox.net/juleeallen/3_08/images/P8170012.jpg

Thanks

Daniel Rabinovitz
08-18-2003, 2:23 PM
Jim
Ok - Ok - OK The new computer is sitting here in pieces and has to be assembled. It's going to be a wizzer!
Took a look at Opera and bookmarked the site for later purchase when the new computer gets built.
These remarks are because of your website redirecting me to your "ooops page" for lousy old browser users. (Hmmm! am I a lousy old user or do I have a lousy old browser?)
Anyway from the forum:
The photos of the island are great
And boy! am I envious of the "range" - you know I do all the cooking.
Did you like the meatballs?
Daniel

Jim Becker
08-18-2003, 2:41 PM
Took a look at Opera and bookmarked the site for later purchase when the new computer gets built.

Opera is a very nice browser and with the demise of Netscape, it's a logical choice for anyone not keen on IE. I find very little noticiable difference between it and the other browsers I test with other than Opera seems to display text ever-so-slightly smaller, at least on my development machine. It's also a reasonable size, unlike the bloat you get with IE and NS. Mozilla is also nice...and free.

These remarks are because of your website redirecting me to your "ooops page" for lousy old browser users. (Hmmm! am I a lousy old user or do I have a lousy old browser?)

It's the browser that was old, not the operator! :D

And boy! am I envious of the "range" - you know I do all the cooking. Did you like the meatballs?

As a matter of fact, I did like the meatballs at the picnic. "Most Excellent". (I'm always on a "see food diet" so you can be sure I had seconds...) That being said, this kitchen renovation has contributed to my losing 8 lbs in the past two months. What's not to like about that?? :)

Terry Quiram
08-18-2003, 6:39 PM
we really need to go to the Central States BBQ at the Hatfield estate. I have my room booked. See you on Friday.

Ed Falis
08-18-2003, 6:45 PM
Ed, congrats, but shouldn't you be on your HONEYMOON?!

John, we had to delay it a bit for a variety of reasons. Thanks for the congrats.

- Ed

Steve Clardy
08-18-2003, 9:30 PM
like I had planned, but did get the hay hauled. Three loads of hay, 100 bales each load, 50 miles round trip each load. We about burnt up, 3 of us.
Got started on doors today, believe its hotter in the shop than it was hauling hay. Steve

Bob Lasley
08-18-2003, 10:13 PM
Well, let's see. Friday night went to movies with SWMBO and saw Open Range, which was excellent. Saturday, taught a router class at the local toy store. Sunday, got out the new compression bit that showed up Friday from Eagle America and prepared to cut through mortises in bookcase ends. On scrap, I made initial cuts with an upcut spiral bit and an oversize bushing. Went back with compression bit and right size bushing. Should have made a nice clean mortise with no tearout, but that was one of the ugliest cuts I have ever seen a router bit make. The bit is going back. I made all the cuts with the upcut bit and am quite happy with the results.

Jim, kitchen is looking great.

Richard, you should be ashamed of yourself.

Congrats Ed on the wedding, I think!

Terry, looking forward to seeing you again at the BBQ.

Bob

Tom Sweeney
08-18-2003, 10:43 PM
I planned a full assault on my shop - was going to pull everything out, clean, build some quickie benches & storage & rearrange everything. Didn't happen! :(

I did get some shop time on the lathe both days.

Sunday we had a big meeting at Church so I didn't get home till about 2:30. I chainsawed some wood I've aquired for bowl blanks, rough turned a couple of bowls & then. . .

Got my truck running. I'm kinda embarrassed to say this but my truck's been sitting for 5 or 6 months waiting for me to put the carb back together, after a little carb fire I had. :o I got that done & it's running pretty good for an old work truck. I have a few more things to do then I can get it inspected (sticker ran out in Feb.!) :eek:

Oh yea - I listed my last rental property for sale also - hope it sells.

Didn't stick to the original plan - but it wasn't so bad!

Kitchen's looking good Jim - I'm jealous of the range - I love to cook & would die for something like that.

Congrats on the wedding Ed!

Dominic Greco
08-19-2003, 7:56 AM
<P>Turn a bowl. Hey, thats a stretch for me isn't it? :D
<P>I spent most of Saturday working in the yard. Me being on vacation for a week didn't improve the condition of my back yard any. So I had some real quality time with the yard tools.

<P>Later in the afternoon, I did manage to cut some Norway Maple up into rounds for turning. This stuff is awesome looking!

<P>On Sunday, after a family birthday party, I spent the rest of the late afternoon in the shop rough turning some bowls. Did the same thing last night. All this turning <i>does</i> have a purpose. I have several repeat "customers" who have requested large salad bowls. I hope to have them ready for Christmas time. But that is really pushing it. I normally like to let roughed out bowls have a minimum of 5 months air drying time. It sure is a good thing that I roughed out so many way back in March of this year! They definitely will be ready to go.

<P>Gotta run. Work beckons,......again!
<P>See ya around the Creek,
<p>Dominic

Noah Alkinburgh
08-19-2003, 8:25 AM
Foiled by the rain again....it poured most of the day on Saturday so my patio did not get any further. I did however with the help of the LOML get a nice start on a 5x5 sandbox for the kids. We got the box together, the landscape fabric on the bottom and the bench seats installed. And on Sunday we got the corner seats put on too. Now we have to put a roof over it. Great thing is that as we were working on it the neighbor asks what we are doing and then says "You need sand? I got a whole pile back here that I have no idea what I will use it for" :D He got more than he needed for a project he was doing...yeah for me!!

Also on Sunday I got to Harbor Freight. And I spent money, good thing I got that free sand. I also managed to start on a figured cherry scrapbook cover, or should I say I managed to goof up on it :) I hate it when you measure so carefully and then realize you were supposed to add 1/4" to each measurement for the reveal you were leaving. Of course this realization comes after you have carefully drilled holes that are waaaaay to far apart for what they need to be :) oh well.

Noah

Tom Sweeney
08-19-2003, 11:01 AM
- Did you drive up to the new Allentown store, or is there one closer by that I don't know about? Was it worth the trip?
As to your, ahem, design change :rolleyes: I've started making all my plans bigger than what I want the finished project to actually turn out to be ;) Of course it's kind of hard to fix once you've drilled holes.

Take Care
Tom

Also on Sunday I got to Harbor Freight. And I spent money, good thing I got that free sand. I also managed to start on a figured cherry scrapbook cover, or should I say I managed to goof up on it :) I hate it when you measure so carefully and then realize you were supposed to add 1/4" to each measurement for the reveal you were leaving. Of course this realization comes after you have carefully drilled holes that are waaaaay to far apart for what they need to be :) oh well.

Noah

Noah Alkinburgh
08-19-2003, 1:06 PM
- Did you drive up to the new Allentown store, or is there one closer by that I don't know about? Was it worth the trip?

Take Care
Tom

Tom,

There is one in Harrisburg right next door to Woodcraft. Not sure that this is closer for you, but real close for me. It was worth the drive for me.

Yep, once them holes is drilled you are all done :)

Noah

Jeff Cybulski
08-19-2003, 11:01 PM
Well, the pneumatic "pogo stick" worked great. It took about 8 hrs. to rip up 2000 ft. of indoor-outdoor carpeting that was glued down everywhere....Gave the compressor quite a workout and nosiy as all get out. Highly recommend if your planning on tearing out carpet. It sure saved the back.

Have a great week!

Jeff