PDA

View Full Version : How to make the cut?

David Mueller
04-04-2006, 8:19 PM
Looking for some feedback on an odd cut I need to make. I am recreating an old school ruler as a kid's growth chart and am unsure how to make a bevel cut. I have a 1/2"x12"x6' plank and need to bevel back about 4" from 3/16 at edge. TS approch always seems to have the waste pinched between the blade and fence, NO GOOD. BS has possibilities, not sure if I have enough neg. tilt but if I move the fence to the other side, MAYBE? Has anyone cut with the fence on the outside of the blade? any pitfalls? If I had a shaper it'd be a no brainer but alas, no mas.

For full disclosure, this is where the idea came from.

Steve Clardy
04-04-2006, 8:32 PM
I got an invalid link attachment.

Yes, use the fence on the left of the blade.

Mark Singer
04-04-2006, 9:50 PM
Just cut it square and bevel it on the jointer...after the bevel is made cut it to size...tilt the fence on the jointer

Chris Barton
04-04-2006, 10:17 PM
I would do the bevel with a hand plane.

Barry O'Mahony
04-04-2006, 10:36 PM
I got an invalid link attachment.Me too. I can't see it either.

David Mueller
04-04-2006, 10:48 PM
sorry guys, it was there when I posted, don't know where it went but let's try it again.

Forgot about the jointer, I'd have to make some kind of jig. The problem is the angle is guessing around 15 degrees. so jointer fence is out as I see it. I'm leaning toward fence on outside of BS blade and tilt table. If the plank wasn't 6' long, hand planeing might be a viable option. My biggest plane is a 4 1/2.

Kristian Wild
04-04-2006, 11:00 PM
Yeah, I'd just switch the fence to the left of the blade. Make sure that you check that it's still parallel to the blade, especially if you normally like to have the fence ever-so-slightly angling away from the blade. (If so, it will now be angling toward the blade.) Then, after you make your cuts you can quickly clean up the bevel with a light pass on the jointer without any fancy jigs or even tilting the jointer fence.

Best of luck, that sounds like a great project. If my wife gets her way we may need one...

Kris

David Mueller
04-04-2006, 11:32 PM
Kris, you shook out some of the non-woodworking cobwebs from my head and I finally went and actually looked at my TS and voila. I have a left tilt and with the fence on the right, the waste is on the outside of the blade. Glad I wasn't trying to actually do WW with my mind in this state. I need a sawdust shower to feel whole.

Maybe make one for your wife as a suprise and a hint? :eek: ;)

Dave Richards
04-05-2006, 6:39 AM
I guess it is too late but I probably would have done it with my planer.