PDA

View Full Version : unhandled tools

Howie French
04-04-2006, 8:12 PM
Well it looks like I am going to be buying a new bowl scraper. It was suggested that I consider buying the scraper unhandled. I like this idea, but do not know where I can purchase unhandled tools. I know Lee Valley carries them but they don't have the real wide and thick scrapers unhandled.

So, where do you guys buy your unhandled tools

Howie

George Conklin
04-04-2006, 8:25 PM
My local Woodcraft carries them. I believe they are called P&N ?

Andy Hoyt
04-04-2006, 8:49 PM
I tried a friends P&N bowler the other day and really liked it. Next excuse I get, it'll be a P&N.

CSA carries them (http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/cgi-bin/shopper?search=action&keywords=pn-tool) too.

Dick Strauss
04-04-2006, 11:55 PM
I've heard good things about the P&N (Patience and Nicholson) tools. You can also buy one of the Kelton or Oneway mega-mass tool handles for the ultimate in leverage and control.

Don Orr
04-05-2006, 1:08 PM
Check out the Craft Supplies catalog and Packard Wooworking Tools. They both sell a variety of unhandled tools. There may be others as well. A big heavy scraper is a very nice addition to the tool rack!

Bruce Smith
04-05-2006, 2:37 PM
Any business that handles the Hamlet line of chisels should be able to accomodate you. Their tools are among the best and they have heavy duty scrapers (1/2" & 3/8 thick), handled as well as unhandled. Check it out good luck.

Dennis Peacock
04-05-2006, 8:25 PM
I use several of the P&N turning tools. They are every bit as good or better than my Crown turning tools. Cheaper and you get to make a handle for them that best suits your feel and length.