PDA

View Full Version : Help, I've fallen(into the vortex) and I can't get up!!

Jim Davenport
04-04-2006, 7:40 PM
I've been turning a few things on the "Venerable shopsmith", but it's not the Ideal platform. After turning for a while, my back starts to hurt from bending over. When I bought the thing thirty some years ago, that didn't bother me.:rolleyes:
I've been following the posts about Rikon lathes. Well Woodcraft has a sale this week, until Saturday. I have to work Saturday so I visited the store this afternoon.
I got the Rikon for 7% off. Basicly in Florida, thats Sales tax. I could have got the Jet for 10% off, but I like the Rikon better. I also got a 1" X 8TPI adapter for my Talon chuck that I was using on the shopsmith. Also picked up was a 8"X8"x3" block of ambrosia maple., and hardwood grab box.
As soon as I get time, I'll be making a bunch of chips with the machine.

Don Baer
04-04-2006, 7:48 PM
Yup, Just like mine. I have been making lots of chips so far and realy like it. I took some time and made sure that all of the set screws were tight before using it. That was a complant about the older ones but I found no problems at all. The Talon Chuck is on my short list, I just need to repllenish the funds in my WW budget..maybe next week..:D

Chris Barton
04-04-2006, 7:59 PM
GREAT GLOAT and WELCOME TO THE DARK SIDE!

The Rikon is currently on the top of my Reccomend List for mini's!

Jim Dunn
04-04-2006, 8:15 PM
Take two aspirins. It won't make the vortex any less spiraling but you won't get quite the headache looking at your money leaving in a hurry:)

Neat lathe. I'm thinking of getting one for my wife;):D

Jim Davenport
04-04-2006, 8:17 PM
Thanks guys. I'll check The screws.
My local Woodcraft store has a great bunch of guys, always very helpful. They've sold a bunch of Rikons, and haven't had any returned so far.
I bought a "Grab box" of hardwood for $20 bucks. I'm impressed with what I got. A large block of Padauk, maple, cherry, a 2x2 piece of purple heart, some zebrawood, and some kind of soft mahogany looking stuff.

George Conklin
04-04-2006, 8:20 PM
Nice gloat there, Jim.

Now go and turn something and post more pics:D .

John Hart
04-04-2006, 8:35 PM
Looks like yer gonna have a bunch of fun Jim! Congratulations. I love the grab boxes at Woodcraft. Life is like a box of chocolates.:)

Ken Fitzgerald
04-04-2006, 9:37 PM
Go Jim! Nice looking lathe!

Mark Cothren
04-04-2006, 9:39 PM
Lookin' good Jim! Can't wait to see a bunch of stuff from ya!

David Fried
04-04-2006, 9:44 PM
I stopped and checked one out last time I was at Woodcraft. Looked like a nice solid lathe. I think you'll like it and your back will love it!

Bernie Weishapl
04-04-2006, 10:57 PM
Great gloat Jim. Nice grab bag of wood. Have fun.

Andy Hoyt
04-04-2006, 11:14 PM
The Spinster Squad racks up another one. Yippee!

Nice acquisition Jim. Turn that shopsmith into a horizontal borer or a buffing machine and don't look back.

Pat Salter
04-04-2006, 11:56 PM
Welcome

a hint: put that puppy where the spindle is even with your elbow, it will solve a lot of your back problems. I had to raise mine 5".

Ed Breen
04-05-2006, 3:36 PM
I know you'll like the Rikon, I used one when I took the pen turners class sveral months ago. I'm glad you mentioned the 'grab box' i've looked at them time and again but wasn't brave enough to ask or buy. Now that you've described yours I'll have a go at it.
Ed:) :)