PDA

View Full Version : new stuff

Harry Goodwin
04-04-2006, 7:38 PM
Just a dumb question. Recently received a box of what I called dead centers as a kid that have become ball bearing and now I think are referred to as live centers. One is hollow for boriing holes. My question is do I use my M2 keyed chuck in the drive center to bore holes or I think I saw a picture of someone ramming a lathe tool up thru the live center.
Which way is the planned use? Harry thanks

Chris Barton
04-04-2006, 8:01 PM
Hi Harry,

Any chance you could show us some pictures? I am a little unclear based on your discription.

David Fried
04-04-2006, 9:42 PM
I've seen hollow dead centers, some with removeable points, used with lamp augers. This fits your description of jamming a turning tool through the tail stock and hollow center into the work piece. A lamp auger is basically a really long drill bit on a handle.

Harry Goodwin
04-05-2006, 10:31 AM
Chris; Sorry not able to get picture to paste out of catalog.
David: That's it. Now, is there any reason I couldn't drill small stuff thru the center from the drive end with a bit and key chuck. Harry

David Fried
04-05-2006, 10:51 AM
I drilled out my funnel using a chuck and bit but I had the Jacobs chuck in the tail stock and the work piece chucked up in the head stock.

Usually, when drilling the work sits still and the bit spins but it doesn't seem to matter if the bit is still and the work spins!

The advantage, as I see it, is that I was able to drill a bit by cranking the handle on the tail stock to move the bit in and out and then slide the tail stock up closer to continue drilling deeper. (I stopped the lathe when moving the tail stock - it just seemed like a good idea.)

When I was done I went to remove the bit from the chuck and burned my finger! It was hot!!

So, to answer your question: Yes, a Jacobs chuck can be used for drilling small stuff and the hollow center can be used with long augers for drilling big or long stuff.

I've read that some folks without drill presses drill out their pen blanks on the lathe using a Jacobs chuck.

Harry Goodwin
04-05-2006, 1:02 PM
Your down my alley with the use of the drill chuck. Harry