PDA

View Full Version : Hollow mortising chisel sharpening

Ed Bamba
04-04-2006, 5:13 PM
I posted this over at Woodnet but would like to ask it here also.

Anyone use the sets from Lee Valley or Rockler? LV's only come with the two cones which needs to be used with a drill or in a drill press. The Rockler 3-piece set comes with two cones, a handle and a quick change chuck. Which is the best to use? I don't have a drill press, but I do have the HF mortising machine that has an aux drill chuck so it can be used as a mini drill press, and a cross sliding vise mounted under it. Both sets are about the same price, but can get the LV set within a couple of days as opposed to Rockler's 7-10 delivery.

Thanks and take care,
Ed

Chris Barton
04-04-2006, 7:23 PM
Hi Ed,

I have the Rockler set and it works well. I don't even use the handle that came with the set. I just chuck up the cones in my drill and "git er done!"

Jim Davenport
04-04-2006, 7:25 PM
Ed;
I got a set from Woodcraft. It has a "cutter assembly", with pilots for each size chisel. It also has a Diamond lap plate. You rotate the cutter by hand to removr burrs on the inside. Then lap the four outside edges on the plate. It works very good on my chisels. I think lapping the outside is most important. After doing that, there's a lot less force required to chop a mortise. I file the cutting edge on the bit woth a jewlers file.

Kristian Wild
04-04-2006, 11:20 PM
Hi Ed,
We use the LV set at work and it preforms pretty well. (I havn't tried the other type though) I usually use it freehand with my drill and clamp the chisel lightly in my vise. If you get sloppy with keeping it straight you will quickly cause the bevel to become off-centre. Because it cuts so slow, I charge the cones with a bit of the LV green blade honing compound. This cuts faster and leaves an awesome finish. It also helps to prevent you from pushing too hard and bluing the chisel due to impatience...

I finish up with flattening the sides and polishing to 4000x.

Kris

Jim Becker
04-04-2006, 11:32 PM
I have the Lee Valley honing stones and they have worked well for my mortising chisels.