PDA

View Full Version : Moving a bandsaw...safely!

Tom Hamilton
04-04-2006, 5:08 PM
Hi Creekers: I'm shopping for a bandsaw :D and and have decided that I will only buy one in my lifetime. I'm targeting a 16-17", about $1,000 budget. The Griz 513X comes to mind, along with a Jet and others.

But the real question for you today, is how to move the 414 odd pounds from the curb, 40 feet to the garage, up hill about 3-4 feet from street level, up an inch and a half onto the garage floor and finally up three inches onto the wooden shop floor.

Griz says they come assembled in a crate on a pallet. The life gate will lower it to the street, maybe onto the driveway if I get a nice driver, and then it is mine.

At 80 inches tall, plus the pallet and crate it won't clear the garage door without tilting.

So how do I do this without hurting myself or damaging the saw? :eek: Even friends, at least my nearly 60 year old friends, are going to be reluctant to try to manhandle so much mass and weight.

Will it ride on furniture dollies? Upright or horizontal? Will a two wheeler handle it? Can I handle the two wheeler? :confused:

I picture the delivery truck driving away and the neighbor's irrigation run-off curling around my shoes as I look at this monster box.

Input and your personal experiences welcome.

Thanks, Tom in Houston, wanting a bandsaw but unsure how to get it into the shop. :confused:

Don Baer
04-04-2006, 5:13 PM
Theres probubly a half a dozen or more Creekers in your area. I'll bet some beer and Bar-B-que would get that puppey moved into your shop in no time..:D

Chris Fite
04-04-2006, 5:25 PM
The appliance truck as used to move a refrigerator should handle it while still in the crate. I moved my Laguna 18" that way, but it was out of the crate.

Barry O'Mahony
04-04-2006, 5:40 PM
The liftgate truck driver should be able to back up onto the driveway, assuming it's not a full-size 18 wheeler. Either way, the driver has to have a pallet jack to move things around in the truck, he should be able roll it up to the garage.

That must be a short door; I couldn't park my vehicle inside. I use an engire hoist for moving heavy tools around level concrete; it may or may not be helpful in this situation.

Ken Garlock
04-04-2006, 7:04 PM
Another option is to rent a furniture dolly(a square of wood with 4 wheels) or an appliance dolly with the rear third wheel to keep it from tipping back on to you.

tod evans
04-04-2006, 7:09 PM
tom, maybe some of the local highschools football players would like a pizza dinner.....02 tod

lou sansone
04-04-2006, 8:30 PM
if it is possible to put a set of skids on the crate, you can use 3" pvc pipe sections as "lawn rollers" for it. I have moved a 12x16 foot building about 400 feet across a lawn this way an it was pretty easy.

lou

Dave Mapes
04-04-2006, 10:27 PM
Driver (Fed Ex frieght) delivered my 514X last week right into garage on a pallet jack without any problem and I was able to slide the saw off the pallet into a shop fox moblie base myself without any problem. So I suspect you wouldn't have any problem yourself.:) :)

Charles McKinley
04-04-2006, 10:36 PM
I have the Jet 18inch that only has 10 inch resaw. It was movable with an appliance dolly. I'm wanting a bigger saw. I just got some walnut and need more resaw. Being in TX I would call Minimax and at least ask about a used or reconditioned saw. It is an entirely different animal and it will truely be a once in a lifetime purchase.

Steve Clardy
04-05-2006, 11:40 AM
Strange. I thought I posted a response in here:confused: :confused: :confused:
Ciber villians stole it:confused: :eek: :confused:

Frank Fusco
04-05-2006, 11:52 AM
There are times it is wisest (and possibly cheapest) to hire help. A local moving company or guys with more muscles than brains. I have used a local mover. Well worth the money. Better than risking damaging either machine or people.

Tim Solley
04-05-2006, 1:08 PM
Jeez I feel your pain. I bought the 14 inch "ultimate" band saw from Grizzly two weeks ago. This is nothing compared to your new saw. It came nearly fully assembled except for the base. I had a heck of a time getting it in the shop and put together by myself! I can only imagine getting your shop set up.

If you're in central Texas, I'll lend a hand...

Tim

Tom Hamilton
04-05-2006, 1:52 PM
Thanks to all for the helpful responses.

I've got 6 furniture dollies rated to 900 lbs, so with an appliance dollie and a couple younger stronger guys we should be able to pull this off.

I will check with Minimax and see what's available.

Now the focus on a brand and place an order.

Thanks, Tom in Houston

Dennis McDonaugh
04-05-2006, 2:03 PM
Tom, don't make it harder than it is because its not that difficult. My wife and I got my mm16 out of the truck, onto a hand truck (rated at 600 lbs) and into the garage by ourselves. You never have all the weight to move at once. We shoved it toward the back of the truck and as soon as more weight got out the tailgate than inside the bed it began to tip down. We just eased it to the standing position. Then we stuck the hand truck under the pallet and tilted it back. You are just balancing it as you move it into place.

Tom Hamilton
04-05-2006, 7:58 PM
Thanks Dennis, some of my old Procter & Gamble training rearing it's head I think.

I appreciate the counsel.

Best regards, Tom

Dennis McDonaugh
04-05-2006, 8:18 PM
You're welcome Tom. It's a lot of dead weight, but luckily you don't have to lift it all at once!

Alan DuBoff
04-06-2006, 4:39 AM
Hi Creekers: I'm shopping for a bandsaw :D and and have decided that I will only buy one in my lifetime. I'm targeting a 16-17", about $1,000 budget. The Griz 513X comes to mind, along with a Jet and others. I just got the Jet 18x, I just couldn't pass up the deal that was offered at Woodcraft. My local Woodcraft had a 15% off sale, and Jet had a $100 rebate. Total came to $840, plus tax. I have only used it a bit, but like it a lot. It will take a 1 1/2" blade, and the quality seems good.

But the real question for you today, is how to move the 414 odd pounds from the curb, 40 feet to the garage, up hill about 3-4 feet from street level, up an inch and a half onto the garage floor and finally up three inches onto the wooden shop floor.Woodcraft charges $20 for delivery, and I talked to the shippers and told them I needed lift-gate service. They told me I should pay the driver, but on the invoice it said "pre-paid", and with lift-gate it was supposed to be $56~ instead of the $20.

The jet weighs 500lb in the crate, I was able to move it into the garage myself with a millwakee dolly (800lb) from Home Depot. I think it was about $49.99 when I got it a while ago.

What I did was knock the crate off, except for the bottom, and tilted the band saw to put the mobile base on it. So I kinda assembled the bars with it at the same time. Then I just pulled it over and let one set of rollers down, and it rolled right off.

Griz says they come assembled in a crate on a pallet. The life gate will lower it to the street, maybe onto the driveway if I get a nice driver, and then it is mine.I looked at the Griz, but I've seen a lot of problems with shipping, where the containers get mangled good by Overland Freight (I think Grizzly used them exclusively).

At 80 inches tall, plus the pallet and crate it won't clear the garage door without tilting.That's right. However, if you knock the crate off outside (lift-gate service has a portable pallete dolly), put the base on, you could roll it in, at least my garage opens enough to do that, but I tilted it with the dolly.

Dan Forman
04-06-2006, 4:52 AM
Tom---With help from two friends, we got my MM16 (500 lb) out of my truck, across the back yard and down the basement steps without damage to machine or us. I bought an appliance dolly for this, and found it very handy on a number of occasions since. I don't think you should have any problem, especially if you could find a local Creeker or two who have had to move similar loads. Good luck.

Dan

Mike Linne
04-06-2006, 6:59 PM
Tom,
I have the G513 and had no problems wrestling the saw into my garage from the back of my van.
Some comments:
1. The saw can be placed on its' "spine" on a furniture dolly to get through the door. I brought the saw home laying on its spine in the crate and everything was fine.
2. the 414 pound weight is misleading - the table is shipped in the crate, not mounted, so it can be set aside until the saw is in position. So the actual weight to be handled is more like 340 lbs.
3. The G513 is so tall that one person can easily and safely raise and lower the saw from horizontal to vertical.
4. You might consider "decrating" the saw on the driveway to loose the crate weight and set aside the table and other small parts. This is what I did. Just be careful if you decrate and then lay the saw on its spine on a furniture dolly as it can be a little tippy.
5. consider a moveable base. I put a Shop Fox base under my G0513 and it works well - be careful when moving that you push low on the saw, if you push high it is possible to tip the saw over.

Corvin Alstot
04-07-2006, 12:24 AM
Hi Creekers: I'm shopping for a bandsaw.
So how do I do this without hurting myself or damaging the saw? Even
friends, at least my nearly 60 year old friends, are going to be reluctant
to try to manhandle so much mass and weight. Thanks, Tom in Houston,
wanting a bandsaw but unsure how to get it into the shop. :confused: Tom/ I am back from Rome. Give me a call and you can test drive my
MM20. I am not sure if you want to go that big but it gives me a lot of
room for future flexibility. I can also provide some muscle when you need
it, just make sure we are not moving that thing at noon in August.

Corvin