PDA

View Full Version : Hole for router plate

Tom Andersen
04-04-2006, 3:42 PM
Hi guys,

some time ago there was a thread describing how to machine the hole for a router plate in the router table top. I now need to do that and I haven't been able to find the thread, so I wonder if any of you can give me the link to the thread?

Thanks
Tom

Donnie Raines
04-04-2006, 3:51 PM
Are you talking about the hole that fits a router plate?

Tom Andersen
04-04-2006, 4:43 PM
I have bought a woodpecker aluminum router plate and I need to make a hole in my MDF table to install the router plate in the table. I am wondering how to cut that hole precisely with my router. I didn't buy the optional template, I figured that could always find a way to make a precise hole...

Donnie Raines
04-04-2006, 4:47 PM
You can.

I made a template out of MDF. The cut out for the plate is made in this template.....I make mine the exact same size as the plate it's self. I then use double stick tape to secure the template to the router table top-to-be. I use a pattern cutting bit(top bearing) to make the groove for the plate to rest in. I normally make several test cuts on scrap to get the correct fitting.

Donnie Raines
04-04-2006, 4:51 PM
I forgot to add, I remove the waste with my jig saw....simply cutting along the edge of the groove you just cut.