PDA

View Full Version : Colorado Blue Spruce

Bernie Weishapl
04-04-2006, 3:42 PM
The next door neighbor had a Colorado Blue Spruce come down in 60 mph winds this last weekend. He cut me off a couple of good sized pieces 14" long and 16" in diameter. He said he put them on the back porch. I went to look at them and they were already starting to crack from the pith. Not bad but starting. So I took the chain saw and cut the pith out of it and then painted the ends up good. I have never turned spruce or had to store it. I know one thing though the pitch is really sticky.

Also they a have a cedar tree that they wanted to know if I wanted any of it. What are your thoughts there on green cedar? Any help would be appreciated.

John Shuk
04-04-2006, 3:47 PM
I would steer clear of it. Just too much pitch for me. JMHO

Andy Hoyt
04-04-2006, 4:20 PM
Gain experience, Bernie. Do the spruce and the cedar.

Mike Ramsey
04-04-2006, 10:28 PM
Gain experience, Bernie. Do the spruce and the cedar.

I agree with Andy! & when you get tired of turning those I'll send you
some really sappy sticky yellow pine to turn :D .

Jim Becker
04-04-2006, 11:55 PM
"Sharp Tools" and have some turps or MS available to clean off the pitch between sharpenings.

Ron Ainge
04-05-2006, 9:46 AM
Bernie

I would take all I could get of both trees, then I would cut the pith out and seal them and put them away for a few years and let the sap dry out. When you come to town again let me know and I will give you some well seasoned Ponderosa Pine so that you can see how it turns. The stuff that I have is from some mountain property that I have and it is trees that I cut while it was still standing but had been dead for several years. The sap has all dried up and it has some of the blue stain for the bugs that killed it. If you try to turn the green stuff that you have you will need to clean your tools as often as you sharpen them.

Bernie Weishapl
04-05-2006, 5:41 PM
Thanks for the info. I appreciate it.

Ron I will give you a call when we come out next time and can maybe meet you at Woodcraft. Are you in the book? Thanks.