PDA

View Full Version : New Tablesaw

Jacob Snow
04-04-2006, 3:04 PM
Well i finally got my new saw and got it put together and everything! It's sweet!, just working on tweaking it now to make it as accurate as i can. My question is on the coating that is on the table top, it is like a waxy/greasy type stuff. Can i just wash it off with warm water and some floor cleaner? Is there anything i shuoldn't use?

Don Baer
04-04-2006, 3:06 PM
Well i finally got my new saw and got it put together and everything! It's sweet!, just working on tweaking it now to make it as accurate as i can. My question is on the coating that is on the table top, it is like a waxy/greasy type stuff. Can i just wash it off with warm water and some floor cleaner? Is there anything i shuoldn't use?

I'd use DNA to clean it. BTW No Picture It didn't happen.

Lou Morrissette
04-04-2006, 3:09 PM
I've had good luck cleaning my stuff with mineral spirits. Good luck with the new saw.

Lou

Michael Ballent
04-04-2006, 3:13 PM
Water and cast iron do not mix :) I use mineral spirits to clean off the cosmoline.

Mark Pruitt
04-04-2006, 3:27 PM
Use either kerosene or mineral spirits (paint thinner) to get the greasy stuff off the table top. Enjoy the saw!
Mark

Maurice Ungaro
04-04-2006, 3:54 PM
Wait....no picture? No Saw. No problem in cleaning it if you don't have it. :D

Rob Blaustein
04-04-2006, 6:49 PM
I'd use DNA to clean it. BTW No Picture It didn't happen.
Deoxyribonucleic acid:rolleyes:? I try to avoid getting genetic material on my saw.

Don Baer
04-04-2006, 7:00 PM
Deoxyribonucleic acid:rolleyes:? I try to avoid getting genetic material on my saw.

Yea, That was my thought when I saw this thread over on the spinney forum..http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=34167

Doug Shepard
04-04-2006, 7:19 PM
Paint thinner and a steel wool pad will cut through the really glopped on stuff quickly, then more paint thinner with a rag to clean up, followed by a dry rag to remove any thinner. Then paste wax it, or spray with TopKote, or buy a tool cover, or do something to protect the surface from rusting. Otherwise you'll be posting in a few weeks to ask about removing the surface rust.

Michael Ballent
04-04-2006, 7:20 PM
Don, all I have to say is HOLY CHEMISTRY!!!

I thought that you guys were just chucking up a hunk-o-wood and making horse bedding... ;) That certainly makes the flat lands look a whole lot easier ;)

Yea, That was my thought when I saw this thread over on the spinney forum..http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=34167

George Kretschmann
04-04-2006, 8:30 PM
I guess this is kinda like fishing here...No fish....no tale it did'nt happen:confused: ,,,no picture....no saw....... :( or picture = saw = gloat :D I think that's right.

Jacob Snow
04-05-2006, 3:12 PM
can you buy the paste wax at lowes? if so whats it called? Or what else can i use to protect the top?

scott spencer
04-05-2006, 3:22 PM
can you buy the paste wax at lowes? if so whats it called? Or what else can i use to protect the top? Lowes should have some. I use Johnson's Paste Wax...Minwax has some too, and there are several other brands. Just make sure it's pure paste wax that contains no silicone...car wax isn't recommended.

I've had good results with Boeshield T-9 as a rust inhibitor, but I still like to use paste wax over top of it to reduce friction. Apply the T-9 and wipe it down as much as possible. Then followup with 2-3 coats of wax about 24 hours apart.

Larry Norton
04-05-2006, 4:36 PM
Jacob, I cringed when you said water! DO NOT get water even close to a cast iron top. That includes when the LOYL brings you a cold drink and sets the glass on your saw.

Have fun with your new toy!

Larry

Jacob Snow
04-21-2006, 10:04 AM
Wait....no picture? No Saw. No problem in cleaning it if you don't have it. :D

Well i finally got it, check this thread (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=33400).

Cliff Rohrabacher
04-21-2006, 10:20 AM
Yeah what the others said: don't put soap andwate on your brand new cast iron saw. Hell, don't put it on you old one either.

Bill Eshelman
04-21-2006, 10:21 AM
I just did mine,
I used rubber gloves, paper towels and a thin peice of scap wood.

1) dump a few shots of mineral spirits on gook and rub with glove.
2) stand there smiling staring at new saw for about 2 minutes.
3) use piece of scrap wood to work the glop like an ice scraper.
4) may need a few more shots of juice. (keep scraping)
5) use long edge of scrap to scrape all the gook into a puddle.
6) use paper towels to get it dry.
7) repeat if necesary
8) stand there and smile.

Enjoy the new saw.
Here is mine.

http://www.genesis111.com/sawgloat2.jpg

John Keane
04-21-2006, 7:56 PM

Is there anything that I shouldn't use. WATER!!!