PDA

View Full Version : Finally got some hand planes

Rick Gibson
04-04-2006, 2:58 PM
Went in to London today with my father - he wanted to pick up a generator and I picked up one of their moisture meters and 35 piece router bit set. Nice aluminum storage case carbide bits and as they wear out I replace them with quality bits. During conversation I commented I was going to start looking for some handplanes and learn how to use them. He said he had some that my grandfather used to use and he thought a couple wooden ones. We couldn't find the wooden ones but he gave me these three, a Stanley 78, 220 and not sure what the larger one is. No markings on it except on the bottom side of the lever cap is the number 116 and it is made in Canada. I guess the next project will be to restore and learn how to use them.

Tyler Howell
04-04-2006, 3:27 PM
Off to a good start there Rick. They should clean up real nice.
What is special is the previous owner and all that skill and experience inside.;)

Jim DeLaney
04-04-2006, 3:38 PM
Your big plane looks like a #5 - about 14" (35.5 cm) long, with a 2" (5 cm) wide blade in it.

They were made in this size by a number of companies, the most common being Stanley. Stanley did make planes in Canada, btw.

A few years back, on the now defunct Badger Pond forum, a fellow named R.J. Whelan posted a great set of instructions on restoring an old plane for use. Look for it here:

http://www.woodcentral.com/bparticles/plane_tune.shtml

It ought to get you off and running towards makig all three of your current planes functional and pleasurable to use. Be careful, though. You're at the top edge of a very slippery slope, and could soon find youself in a plane-buying frenzy. DAMHIKT!

Deirdre Saoirse Moen
04-05-2006, 12:24 AM
I really like the #78, so I'm sure you'll love them all once you get them all spruced up.

I'm well on the slippery slope myself -- I've come very close to tripling my number of planes this week.

Mark Stutz
04-05-2006, 1:31 AM

I'm well on the slippery slope myself -- I've come very close to tripling my number of planes this week.

Wow, tripled in one week!:eek: :D You are past the point of no return.

BTW, Welcome to the Creek!

Mark

Deirdre Saoirse Moen
04-05-2006, 1:33 AM
Thanks for the welcome.

I had four when I got here.

I got seven more this week.

I just need an eighth to make the numbers all tidy. :)

Mike Wenzloff
04-05-2006, 1:51 AM
I just need an eighth to make the numbers all tidy
Actually, you'll need to go clear to 9--odd numbers balance better <g>...

Take care, Mike

Deirdre Saoirse Moen
04-05-2006, 2:25 AM
True, that would be the next prime number too...

Hmm. :D

Jerry Olexa
04-05-2006, 6:57 PM
Have fun. Restoring old planes is a great adventure and satisfying when later you take off that paper thin swirl of a wood shaving. Enjoy..

Deirdre Saoirse Moen
04-05-2006, 7:25 PM
I have a teacher who's pretty smart. The first day, we get to pick out a plane that's already fettled and sharpened. So we get the satisfaction of feeling what a tuned plane should feel like before we do the work on it. He says it not only is less discouraging, it also helps people learn to tune their own planes.

We only lost one person the first night.... This dude could NOT believe that planes bought brand new didn't ship in "ready to use" condition. He went over to the power tool class, because at least they'd be working on pre-tuned tools already.

Doug Shepard
04-05-2006, 8:03 PM
True, that would be the next prime number too...

Hmm. :D

9 isn't a prime number (3 x 3). I'm afraid you're going to need 11. Sorry to break the news, but you've got more spending to do.:D

Rick Gibson
04-05-2006, 8:23 PM
Looking forward to getting them cleaned up, repaired and then learning how to use them. The handle on the #5 was broken so have epoxied that. See how that works before ordering a replacement. Have a couple pieces in the electrolosis bath now removing the rust. Once everything is clean and the blades sharp will figure out where to go from there.

Tom Hamilton
04-05-2006, 8:30 PM
Hi Rick and welcome to the Creek. Old planes are an interesting addiction, er, interest.

Rescuing old iron and peeling off a thin shaving is a wonderful adventure. Enjoy!

Tom, in Houston, working on an 1897 Stanley Bedrock # 5

Rick Gibson
04-07-2006, 2:10 PM
Got the easy one done, the little block plane. After a thorough cleaning I decided to leave the original finish, it was still in fair shape so after removing the rust from the blade and a couple days of sharpening and sliding the plane around on progressively finer sandpaper fixed to the tablesaw it's flat, shiny and cuts real nice. That's a little scary I could get to like hand tools and my power bill will go down.

Deirdre Saoirse Moen
04-07-2006, 3:40 PM
9 isn't a prime number (3 x 3). I'm afraid you're going to need 11. Sorry to break the news, but you've got more spending to do.:D

Actually, 9 + the 4 I had = 13, which is prime.

Alas, I've gone and mucked up the numbers now, plus I forgot to count one of the planes I had. So, I had 5. When all my new preciouses arrive, I'll have 15. I'm still hunting for a couple more.

Deirdre Saoirse Moen
04-07-2006, 3:41 PM
Looks very nice!

Mark Stutz
04-07-2006, 3:59 PM
Deirdre,
I really like this philosophy of plane acquisition! Prime numbers! Hmmm,...17, 19, 23, 29...this could be fun!

Mark

Alan DuBoff
04-07-2006, 5:36 PM
Deirdre,
I really like this philosophy of plane acquisition! Prime numbers! Hmmm,...17, 19, 23, 29...this could be fun!

MarkMark, don't forget about moulding planes. That can get you into the 3 digit primes easily, and I wouldn't be surprised to hear folks have broken the 4 digit prime barrier on moulding planes.:D

Deirdre Saoirse Moen
04-07-2006, 9:23 PM
Alan, you depress me. I haven't even gotten started on molding planes yet and I know I'm gonna need quite a few.

Here's what I've got (brown brought two today):

Record #4
Record #7
Veritas Low-Angle Spokeshave
Footprint 9-1/2 (POS, so I got a better one)
Stanley #78
Stanley #9-1/2
Stanley #60-1/2
(seven, a prime #)

...and here's what I've got coming:
Stanley #12-1/2
Knight Toolworks Scrub
Knight Toolworks Dovetail
Stanley #5
Stanley #79
User-made Panel Raiser (not made by me)
Stanley #48
Crown Planes Small Forkstaff

...gonna have to acquire two more now. Feh.

Alan DuBoff
04-07-2006, 10:21 PM
Alan, you depress me.
User-made Panel Raiser (not made by me)Deirdra,

Who's depressing who? You're the one who beat me out on that panel raiser on the oldtools list...now I'm really depressed...(you've got more planes than me!;-)

...gonna have to acquire two more now. Feh.Go girl, go! As long as you have room on the bench, it should be ok. Remember you can go to the ceiling, you said the tools only need to fit on the bench when it's not in use. :D

Deirdre Saoirse Moen
04-07-2006, 10:47 PM
Who's depressing who? You're the one who beat me out on that panel raiser on the oldtools list...now I'm really depressed...(you've got more planes than me!;-)
Go girl, go! As long as you have room on the bench, it should be ok. Remember you can go to the ceiling, you said the tools only need to fit on the bench when it's not in use. :D

Yes, I did jump right on that panel raiser. I might let you use it, though. :) I also picked up the #48 at the same time (I'd gotten a blade for one earlier). Also got the #5 and the #12-1/2 with the post today, so now I have to figure out where to stash all of these guys before the linux group comes over tomorrow. One guy has a habit of picking up things and teleporting them around, so I've got to prevent that.

Worst case, there's always the unmentionables drawer.

Mark Stutz
04-07-2006, 10:56 PM
Alan,
Yea, I forgot about the mouldng planes!:o :D Though I only have one so far...is it a bad sign, that I have been looking!

Deirdre,
You will like the #48. I found it to work very well.

Mark

Deirdre Saoirse Moen
04-07-2006, 11:21 PM
You will like the #48. I found it to work very well.

Alan recommended it (well, actually, I think he mentioned a #49), so I looked it up. When I got how it worked, I thought it was so incredibly cool that I had to have one.

Alan DuBoff
04-08-2006, 12:56 AM
Yes, I did jump right on that panel raiser. I might let you use it, though. :) I also picked up the #48 at the same time (I'd gotten a blade for one earlier). Also got the #5 and the #12-1/2 with the post today, so now I have to figure out where to stash all of these guys before the linux group comes over tomorrow. One guy has a habit of picking up things and teleporting them around, so I've got to prevent that.

Worst case, there's always the unmentionables drawer.Oh, is tomorrow CABAL? If I can remember, maybe I'll head up there, but it's getting stormy again (will it ever let up on us?;-)

That panel raiser and 48 were a good deal, I unfortunately didn't wake up in time, and you beat me out...:(

Mark,

I've been watching for a panel raising plane, and finally one came up, yep...that's the one that Dierdre beat me to! At least someone got it that I know!:)

Yes, I have a #49, works quite well actually. It's simple in comparison to a 45/55 type multifunction plane (if that is what they're called). It only does t&g though.

Because of the size of boards, both the 48 and 49 could compliment each other...and as most hand tools, you need a quiver of planes to handle most situations, but various ones can double the duty of another. The good thing is nobody needs all of the, the bad thing is that most folks want all of them.;-)

Deirdre Saoirse Moen
04-08-2006, 1:29 AM
Yep, tomorrow's cabal day.

I just wish I felt better. My cat's convinced that we've been tormenting him with the rain.

Rick Gibson
04-08-2006, 9:47 AM
You guys are starting to worry me. This looks like it can turn into a real addiction. Maybe I should give them back to my dad and stick with the powered stuff.........Nah! I think I'll keep them and take my chances.