PDA

View Full Version : TS (Sawstop) base and fence questions

Rich Person
04-04-2006, 2:14 PM
Okay, so I was going to wait for the contractor version, but the wife approved the cabinet purchase so I'm going to order it. Three questions.

1. I am going to place it near the opening of my two car garage bay, that is my shop. I cannot think of any reason I would need to move it in my current shop setup. Do I need a mobile base? I'm not sure why I should drop the money if I really don't need to move the saw.

2. I have decided to go with the Incra TS-LS fence system, rather than the stock fence. Can anyone think of a reason this would be a mistake?

3. I am planning on transforming the extension table into a router table. Is the quality of the Sawstop extension decent for this purpose, or should I just make my own?

Thanks in advance.

Rich

Michael Ballent
04-04-2006, 2:33 PM
1) If you do not plan on ever moving the saw then you do not need to get a mobile base, but... remember the beast weighs about 600lbs (depending on the fence) so it will be a real bear if you ever plan on moving it...

2) The Incra fence is really nice, just make sure that you have space on the right side for the beam as you rip wide pieces. Nothing more annoying than having to rip some ply and find that you do not have enough space to fully extend the fence cause it's bumping into the wall (also see above :D )

3) build your own extension table... the one that comes with the saw is not worth the $$ they are charging for it... but it does look cool ;) Also there really is no easy way to retro fit a router into it...

4) Make sure you get an extra cartrige in case it fires, and do not forget the cartridge for the dado blade (unless you are not planning on using dados)

5) Take your wife out to a nice dinner :D

Okay, so I was going to wait for the contractor version, but the wife approved the cabinet purchase so I'm going to order it. Three questions.

1. I am going to place it near the opening of my two car garage bay, that is my shop. I cannot think of any reason I would need to move it in my current shop setup. Do I need a mobile base? I'm not sure why I should drop the money if I really don't need to move the saw.

2. I have decided to go with the Incra TS-LS fence system, rather than the stock fence. Can anyone think of a reason this would be a mistake?

3. I am planning on transforming the extension table into a router table. Is the quality of the Sawstop extension decent for this purpose, or should I just make my own?

Thanks in advance.

Rich

Tom Ruflin
04-04-2006, 3:35 PM
Rich,

I bought both the sawstop fence (36 inch) and the extension table with my sawstop cabinet saw. The fence took alittle tweeking but it is now straight/flat and works fine. The extension table was probibly not worth the money but I have very little spare time to make one and still get some projects done. If you don't have to move the saw then save your money on a mobile base, but like Michael said, make sure you have enough room around it. I have a mobile base (I used the delta base from my contractors saw) and only have to move my saw about a foot to make some cuts but without the mobile base it would be a real bear to move. It's a great saw in my opinion and the sawstop people are very supportive. Also for delivery I paid the bucks for liftgate service to get off the truck and it into my garage, I had to help the truck driver push it up my driveway on a pallet truck (on a hill) and into the garage. Like mentioned already the beast weighs over 600 lbs.

Rich Person
04-04-2006, 4:27 PM
Thanks for the tips. I think I will build up a 2" ply base, just to get it up to 36", but will skip the mobile base for now. I cut my large stock down with my Festools system, so I don't usually make very wide cuts on the table saw.

I haven't seen anyone with the Sawstop/Incra combination yet, but I think it would work well for me.

Thanks for the tips on the extension table. I would have to cut a hole in it anyway, so I might as well make my own and do it right. Hmmm, red formica might work well. :D

Charlie Kocourek
04-04-2006, 4:29 PM
I have the Vega mobile base and it works fine. The nice thing about the Vega is that you can easily add it later if you need to.

Jared Schultz
04-04-2006, 4:42 PM
I have seen several others with the SS/TSLS combination, including myself. All have raved about it. Make sure you get the longer support base and fence to accomodate the 30" SS table size.

As an aside, I am not necessarily a rich person, but I was able to justify the higher cost of the SS/TSLS with the superior build quality and accuracy, not to mention the safety features. :p

Rob Blaustein
04-04-2006, 6:41 PM
I haven't seen anyone with the Sawstop/Incra combination yet, but I think it would work well for me.

Rich,
Per Swenson uses this combo and I believe likes it a lot. Here (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=22386&highlight=incra)is one thread in which he mentions it. Good luck, looks like an awesome setup. But I would spring for the mobile base--you never know...
Rob

Cliff Rohrabacher
04-04-2006, 6:54 PM
Might consider having an extra blade on hand inc ase it fires too. I understand the cartridge firing is curtains for the blade.

Roy Wall
04-04-2006, 7:04 PM
Thanks for the tips. I think I will build up a 2" ply base, just to get it up to 36", but will skip the mobile base for now. I cut my large stock down with my Festools system, so I don't usually make very wide cuts on the table saw.

Thanks for the tips on the extension table. I would have to cut a hole in it anyway, so I might as well make my own and do it right. Hmmm, red formica might work well. :D

I think this is a good way to go.....

1) I bought a shopfox Heavy duty mobile base for my Sawstop but have found a "sweet spot" in the garage and rarely see the need to move it. It sits between my single garage side and the wife's 16' double wide door. I thought I might really move this beast around but have found the "magic spot.

At least it does raise the saw up to about 35.5" ...which is a good height for me... and keeps the saw dry if a little runoff from rain (on the cars) trickles down below the machine. Your ply base is a good idea.

2) I believe Per Swenson has the Incra fence and is very pleased. He is a professional WW'er specializing in cabinets/commercial bar setups, etc...

3) The extension table is "so-so" as others have said. It would probably hold a router pretty well though, as Sawstop does have a "center section" within the ext. table that was reinforced for a router. I would give it a grade of "B... B+"...good, but will leave you wishing for a litte more. I may eventually put a router in there, but not a priority for me.

NOTE: Remember the motor cover is on the right side and will swing "out underneath" your extension table....keep this in mind as you prepare a location on the ext. table so as not to "bump into it" (you can actually just raise some pins on the door hinge and remove it that way as an alternative..)

4) Like you, I was really just wanting the contractor saw (which was originally due out in early Fall of 2005.....glad I didn't wait!! My wife encouraged me to get the cabinet saw too:) Do like Mike B. has said - take her out to dinner!!:) :D

5)Are you considering the 5hp option.?..If I were to do over again - I would probably have dropped another $200.....but I realize you have made quite and investment already.

Rich Person
04-04-2006, 7:55 PM
5)Are you considering the 5hp option.?..If I were to do over again - I would probably have dropped another $200.....but I realize you have made quite and investment already.

I'm actually getting the 3hp version. I wouldn't mind the 5hp, but I got a very nice deal on a unit that was returned to Sawstop with a scratch in the paint. The scratch didn't bother me and the savings made it fall more into my price range.

It is now officially ordered. Now just to get the fence and table.

Lars Thomas
04-05-2006, 4:46 PM
Rich, where did you get the info on the scratch/dent saw?

Rich Person
04-05-2006, 5:58 PM
Rich, where did you get the info on the scratch/dent saw?

I was calling them regarding my place on the wait list for the contractor saw. I was originally on the cabinet saw list, but transferred when my time came up. :( They didn't seem to want to let me back on at my original price, but offered one of these instead. I get the impression that they are saws that get scratched in delivery and are replaced with new ones. They are supposedly never operated and come with full warranty. They had two, but now both are gone. If you are interested I would check in periodically as I would imagine they get them from time to time. The savings is about 20%, which isn't bad considering they are the only place to get the saws. They also have some scratched rails if interested.

I asked for pictures, and they sent them promptly. I guess a couple scratches don't bother me (considering the 20% savings).

Lars Thomas
04-05-2006, 11:05 PM
Rich, thanks for the info, Yes 20% on that saw is a nice savings.

David Giles
04-06-2006, 1:25 PM
Rich, I use the TSLS and Sawstop combo and, like the others, am very pleased with the performance. To add to the previous comments,

My auxiliary table is phenolic with 1.5" aluminum angle braces to make sure it stays flat. The table is mounted on the left side of the saw to avoid interference with the saw door, but I'd probably put it on the right side and just lift out the router when I needed access through the door. It works both ways and the fence is easy to move. I've decided that the router enclosure boxes that mount under the table are more work than a broom and too heavy to boot.

The saw is too heavy to move (easily). With my sloping floor, it was best to shim it level and leave it.

Be sure and special order the longer Incra fence and fixed base.

With the Incra fence, I use the dado set less and less. It's easier to put in 1-2 FTG rip blades and keep moving the fence over 1/8" at a time. Now if you have a LOT of dados, it might be a different story. But most of the time is spent sneaking up on the correct width in either case.

Black and gold just go together.

Rich Person
04-06-2006, 2:31 PM
Thanks for the note Zoot. Everything is on order and should be trickling in over the next several weeks.

I wouldn't mind confirmation on one of my assumptions though. If I place the middle set stop between my TS blade and my router bit (right side), can I just lift the fence and base off, rotate them 180 degrees and put it back down for switching between the two? I think I asked Incra this before and they said it would work.

David Giles
04-08-2006, 7:54 PM
Sorry, Rich, I've been out of town. Everything is symmetrical, so it shouldn't be a problem. It puts the Incra scales facing the back side of the saw, so I'm guessing that you want to work the router table from the back side of the saw. This would be a creative solution that should work as long as you've figured out an outfeed support plan that doesn't interfere. It solves the problem of the long distance needed on the right side for the Incra arm.

Per Swenson
04-08-2006, 8:23 PM
Hello Rich,

I see I am a little late and all you questions have been answered

and stuff ordered. You are going to like this setup alot.

I also reccomend the htc base, (a 5 year old can spin this saw)

I am most impressed with the woodpecker extension table

that is made for the ls rails. http://www.woodpeck.com/outfeedtable.html

Per

Rich Person
04-08-2006, 9:04 PM
Thanks for the responses Zoot and Per. Per, your setup looks pretty similar to what I want to do. Glad to hear you like it

Zoot, you raise a good point that I hadn't considered. I'm going to put my router on the right and place the base unit between the saw blade and the router bit (2/3 toward router). If I do this, then I can also use the fence off either end and should be able to get full coverage for both the TS and the router. This should also not interfere with my outfeed, which will either be the Woodpeckers one that Per uses or a homemade version that is similar.

Deliveries start this week. :) :) :)