PDA

View Full Version : What Circ Saw for cutting plywood

Jeff Sudmeier
04-04-2006, 1:50 PM
Everyone,

Sorry I haven't been around much the RentAShed business has been taking up my time!! I have the EZ guide, so I have the EZ base on my dewalt saw. It works great with the guide!! However, the base can make using the saw w/o the guide a pain when trimming plywood flooring or the like. The grooves in the base can ride the edge of the plywwod causing the cut to be poor.

Anyway, what saw would you guys suggest for plywood cuts? We have to trim the plywood of our floors after it has been layed. We would also use this saw to free hand cut rafters and to cut roof sheeting. (We don't use the guide because the straigtness of the cut doesn't matter). We also use the saw on a ladder to trim rafters and to trim vertical siding.

Suggestions or questions?

Bob Noles
04-04-2006, 2:12 PM
Jeff,

I like my PC325 with auto brake and very light weight too. May want to swing by a borg and see how one fits your hands.

Good to see you post again.

tod evans
04-04-2006, 2:23 PM
jeff, my vote goes to a mag 77 for freehand work....02 tod

Alan Tolchinsky
04-04-2006, 6:17 PM
Hi Jeff,

I just got a Bosch at Lowes and they had a $25 store credit when you bought this saw a couple of weeks ago. I don't know about now but I like this saw a lot. It's quiet, light and will soon receive my EZ base. Good luck! Alan in Md.

Andy Hoyt
04-04-2006, 6:44 PM
Jeez!, I'd think this (http://www.milwaukeeconnect.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product2_27_40027_-1_281177_189345_362)would be a no brainer for a Cheesehead.:D

Richard Wolf
04-04-2006, 7:49 PM
Any worm drive!

Richard

Jeff Sudmeier
04-06-2006, 9:18 AM
Thanks for the input guys! This thread convinced my father to take back the makita right blade he bought. We will be getting a worm drive.

Chuck Saunders
04-06-2006, 9:41 AM
Good Choice, but then as a I have used my Skil 77 for 25+ years, I would recommend a wormdrive saw over a sidewinder no matter what the job was. I will admit that alot is personal preference (ok stubborn is another description)
Chuck

Kent Fitzgerald
04-06-2006, 9:43 AM
Isn't a 14 lb worm drive overkill for cutting plywood? I would be thinking more along the lines of a 6.5" trim saw. :confused:

tod evans
04-06-2006, 9:46 AM
Isn't a 14 lb worm drive overkill for cutting plywood? I would be thinking more along the lines of a 6.5" trim saw. :confused:

ken, for some of us short-armed folks the extra reach a wormdrive offers is really nice...02 tod

Cliff Rohrabacher
04-06-2006, 10:08 AM
I really like my PC worm drive pro. I also like the FesterTool saw, as it's a bit lighter.

Jeff Sudmeier
04-06-2006, 10:20 AM

Probably, but we will also use it for cutting rafters as well as many other uses. Cutting 3/4" green treat plywood can require some torque. I love my dewalt saw because you can't stall it. They are heavy, but they work hard. The main reasons we are going with a new saw is that the base for the EZ guide on my dewalt makes it hard to use for other tasks, the visibility of a left blade saw will be very nice, and finally the extra reach of the worm drive will be nice when cutting the sheeting products in half.

Kent Fitzgerald
04-06-2006, 10:30 AM
ken, for some of us short-armed folks the extra reach a wormdrive offers is really nice...02 tod
Hmmm... good point. I have about a 24" reach from shoulder to palm, so cutting sheets always means laying them on the ground and crawling for me. :D

Steve Clardy
04-06-2006, 7:16 PM
I'm still running my PC447 framers saw. Can't kill it!!
I like the composite base plate. Its light weight.

Kevin Herber
04-06-2006, 10:34 PM
I don't think I could be happier with any saw than my PC 314, 4 1/2" worm drive trim saw. It's a little workhorse.

-- Kevin