PDA

View Full Version : Jet Jwbs-14dx Questions

Jim Watson
04-04-2006, 9:44 AM
The other day I finally ordered a Grizzly G0513X - only to find they are out and probably will not ship until May sometime.

Looking thru past threads here on SMC found some interesting discussions on 14" BS with risers. Several favorable comments on the Grizzly G0555. I have gotten more realistic in my thinking and imagine I will occassionally want to resaw 6" - 8", but mostly curve work. Sounds like a good 14" should do.

I see Woodcraft has a 10% off all Jet, Performax, and Powermatic tools this April 8th only, plus Jet rebates. That brings the Jet 14DX, with riser, down to about $630 delivered.

I would appreciate any info on this saw if someone has one. Quality of its construction, guides, door hinges and so on. Vibration any problem? How about their customer service and rebate turn around. There are no Jet dealers around here that I can check one of these out at.

And if anyone wants to comment on the Griz G0555 I'd surely appreciate it. Open base, but comes with the fence and mitre guage, and 1/4 horse less - but I don't know if that really would make any difference,

thanks alot fellows,

Jim

John Timberlake
04-04-2006, 10:17 AM
Jim,

I bought the Jet 14" with riser block about two years ago. It has done everything I want it to, but don't use it a lot. Cutting out bowl blanks, resawing a little, and some curvy things. I have probably only used it for material thicker than 6" only once. But have not seen any problems with the guides being unstable at the smaller height. The 4" dust collector port on mine works well. The rebate came in about 4 weeks, faster than I expected. If you plan to get a riser block, do it up front. Don't want to get a selection of blade and then switch.

Never used the Grizzly, so I can't compare the two.

Brian Parker
04-04-2006, 10:53 AM
Jim,

I bought the Shop Fox 14", I liked the 1HP motor, iron wheels, closed base, and 2 year warranty. I got the saw for 499 + 65 for the riser block. It was local which was nice. If you want call their 800# and they will tell you who sells them around you.

I've had mine for 2 months now or so and love it. It comes with a fence and miter gage too.

Ryan Ricks
04-04-2006, 11:00 AM
I have the 14DX with the riser. I have really liked it. I got for $550, they have raised the price since then. At that price it was worth it for the little bit larger motor and the quick release tension lever.

It has done everything I have asked so far. My use is mostly curves - that is what I bought the bandsaw for. I have done very little resaw, but it has performed fine when I have done it. I did put Timberwolf blades on it.

I would buy the saw again. I have not had any vibration issues, the fit is excellent, and the 4 inch dust port works well. If my primary concern was resawing I would look at a different class saw, but since my primary use is curves I have no regrets.

-Ryan

Gary Drew
04-04-2006, 1:32 PM
Hi Jim,

I have had the Jet 14dx for a year. I considered the Grizzly 0555, but I live in Alaska, so shipping is a considerable issue. I also have a Jet dealer in town and no sales tax. So for me it was a no-brainer. I got the 14dx for $550 and buying the Jet mobile base got me the rebate. The rebate then paid for my riser. The fit and finish on my dx was excellent. The 14" wheels are iron, not aluminum as on the 0555 and you do get the extra 1/4 hp. These were pluses for me. How much more is it worth, I can't say. I like my saw and I do think it is superior to the 0555, but the bottom line for me is a careful balance between what I need and what it costs.

Good Luck,

Gary

Jim Watson
04-04-2006, 8:18 PM
Appeciate the info. Seems all are pleased with their Jets - so I think I'll go ahead and order one.
Jim

Ryan Ricks
04-05-2006, 8:36 AM
Jim -

I think you will enjoy it. If you buy the riser, be sure to install it before you buy more blades - the shorter blade will not do you any good once the riser is installed.

Be sure to post a photo when you get it!

-Ryan