PDA

View Full Version : A deck dedicated to BBQ!

Kelly C. Hanna
04-04-2006, 8:36 AM
I decided on Sunday that I needed to build a deck for my BBQ grills and smokers to get them out of the yard and off the grass...here's how it turned out...

http://www.hannawoodworks.com/BBQdeck.html (http://www.hannawoodworks.com/BBQdeck.html)

Steve Ash
04-04-2006, 8:42 AM
Looks good Kelly, great way to reuse a resource as well as a dedicated deck. I did the same thing with one of the decks above my pool, and even after several stainings the woods don't match exactly but I hope over more time and a few more stainings, they will. When do you want us all over for the opening day BBQ! :D

Tyler Howell
04-04-2006, 9:02 AM
Party at Kelly's
Looks like you're real serious about BBQ :cool:

Jerry Olexa
04-04-2006, 11:13 AM
That is the REAL deal. Authentic BBQ gear. Nice job. Enjoy it!!

Marty Walsh
04-04-2006, 12:28 PM
Kelly,

Nice job on the deck and reuse of the wood, especially in ONE DAY!!

I've been trying to figure out where to put our smokers, besides on the grass, but was concerned about putting them on a deck. The fire box on our big smoker scorched the deck at our old house in Virginia. It looks like you have an equally large smoker. Is there something you plan to do to protect the decking? Or does it not get that hot?

- Marty -

Mark Rios
04-04-2006, 12:32 PM
That's quit a layout, Kelly.

But.......

What if I just want a hotdog?:D :D

(siggggghhhhh) I wish I knew how to BBQ. I can heat meat up on the grill but I really don't know much about REAL GRILLIN'.

Vaughn McMillan
04-04-2006, 1:20 PM
Nice deck, Kelly, but my eyes kept getting distracted by the rectangular smoker on the left. I've got a good horizontal smoker (the ones like a barrel on its side with a firebox on the end), but I like the vertical ones like yours. What's the box in the middle? Wood storage?

Still, congrats on the nice deck. It'd take me longer than one day to get half as much done.

- Vaughn

Tim Solley
04-04-2006, 1:59 PM
Party at Kellys'
Looks like you're real serious about BBQ :cool:

Kelly is from Texas. We're ALL serious about BBQ down here in Texas. Mmm...BBQ. Well, I guess now I know what I'm doing for lunch today.

Hey Kelly, you need to add a Big Green Egg to that lineup.

- Tim

Tom Araya
04-04-2006, 2:11 PM
Speaking of BBQ, I'm getting a quote from Gator Pit
in Texas to build a custom pit. It's time to move
from the Weber grill to the bigger beast to enjoy
some good hog.

Another hobby to consume time and momey :p :o

Jason Tuinstra
04-04-2006, 3:42 PM
In a word... "That's what I'm talking 'bout!" Man, you couldn't ask for a nicer spot to do some good old fashion BBQ'n. Good job.

Royce Meritt
04-04-2006, 4:35 PM
Haven't been to the great state of Texas in quite a while. If I bring the ribs will you do the cookin'?

Kelly C. Hanna
04-04-2006, 8:40 PM
Steve & Tyler [sounds like a band member's name doesn't it?]...come on down anytime guys! We cook out even in the freezin' weather in January...call me a diehard!!

Marty...it doesn't get hot at all at the deck level. On the small vertical smoker, I will probably put some pavers down under it as the bottom has some rust issues.

Vaughn, that vertical is great for big items like Turkeys...I can get four turkeys and a slab or two of ribs in there at the same time. The box in the middle is an old homemade pickup tool box that I now use for wood, matches and utensils.

Tim...what's a green egg?

Jason, Jerry and Mark...thanks....oh and Mark....any of the above grills will cook hot dogs and I never leave dogs & hot links off the list.

Royce...come on down anytime. We have a big BBQ about every 2-3 months....I'll alert you when we schedule the next one...

Jim Becker
04-04-2006, 11:37 PM
Well, that works, Kelly! Can't beat the frugality factor, either... ;)

Tim Solley
04-05-2006, 1:16 PM
Tim...what's a green egg?
Kelly, my wife gave me a Big Green Egg for our wedding anniversary a few years ago. My old gas grill became BBQ tool storage after getting that baby. This is the most awesome grill/smoker I've ever seen! It's shaped like a four foot tall egg, and it's inch thick porcelain all around. It weighs about as much as my table saw. I now smoke my turkey every Christmas and Thanksgiving. Brisket? Oh yeah. After cooking inch thick rib-eye steaks on it, I almost have to drain the juices they come off so juicy. Love it.

http://www.biggreenegg.com

- Tim

Kelly C. Hanna
04-05-2006, 4:04 PM
I went to the site, but I found nothing telling me how it is heated. Is it gas?

Tim Solley
04-05-2006, 4:40 PM
Gas? Nope. You use charcoal or wood. I opt for the 100% natural lump charcoal. I only use that because I can tell the difference between it and the briquettes. I can taste the chemicals. Plus, I understand natural lump gets a hotter fire. I've never compared, but with the natural lump I routinely get my Egg to around 1000 degrees for cooking steaks.

Close down the vents though and I can smoke a brisket for 24 hours at just a couple hundred degrees on less than a handful of charcoal. One of the cool things about this grill is that it's so bloody heat efficient. My wife and I cook on it 3-4 times a week. Even using it that much, two ten pound bags of charcoal last us a year. When you're done cooking, you close up the vents, and the fire goes out. Next time you cook you don't even have to add more charcoal.

Tim